Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Keeping a sense of proportion.

I couldn't help but notice of the recent Drennan award winners, how many came from the same area of England, that is the southern gravel pits. Let's face it if you want to catch many outsize coarse fish, you must go to a southern pit, or nothing.

Yet fly fishers don't think like this. Most are happy to catch small wild brown trout of moorland streams along with the big trout of some stillwaters and reservoirs. A 1 pound wild brown trout is often regarded as a more creditable capture than a reservoir 10 pounder.

But the vast majority of coarse fishers would not rate a 5 pound canal tench against a 10 pound pit fish. Many would not even bother to attempt to catch a 5 pound canal or drain tench, or even a 10 pound river bream when 20 pound pit bream are being caught.

But how do you rate your catches. Is it weight at all costs or do you have a sense of proportion like many of the fly fishermen?

Default Re: Keeping a sense of proportion.

Perhaps the awards should be regional Ron!

Lets draw a line-say Watford Gap Services-to split the country in half and have seperate awards north and south of this line.Wales and Scotland could have seperate awards as well!!
    I can just imagine a big fish caught south of the line being carried to a fishery north of the line just to win the prize which will be yet another rod......and I bet it would happen!

Personally IMHO I think awards are pointless......you've caught the fish of a lifetime so just enjoy it.................... why do you need to be awarded for it as well?

Its all marketing I suppose..

Thinks:must polish the fishing trophies when I have time.............

I'd be a very sad and bitter chap if I let the size of fish I catch worry me!

The obsession with weight is plain daft - it mattered when you were fishing for food, and it matters in match fishing, because it's the only convenient way (that I can think of, at any rate) to compare a haul of bleak to a brace of chub; but for big fish, LENGTH should be the "respect" factor - it increases with age, not condition, so does not tempt people to target spawning fish, and is a better general indicator of how old and experienced the fish is.
    Plus, tape measures don't go wrong as easily as balances!
    And they weigh less and pack small.

Mind you, I was happy enough to stop fishing to LAA size limits, and have to measure almost everything - and release most, unweighed.

Another factor is that you were looking at a competition, judged primarily by weight. That's bound to load the system in favour of a few waters per species. The competition should only be seen as a bit of fun for those who are conveniently sited or can afford huge petrol bills; the rest of us have no chance and needn't even bother to read the results. I've felt a lot less piscatorially inadequate since I stopped buying the papers and mags!

not only kept in proportion regarding north or south [im in the middle] but fish should be judged in proportion to the waters you are fishing in your area,there are waters in my area where a 1lb roach is a big fish there are others where it is not,keep things in perspective to the water you are fishing.
    i think thats what they called me.

Being born in the Colne valley I have fished many of the ‘big fish’ pits over the years, also Yateley, Frimley, Burghfield Lake etc. Many of the pits have the potential of holding a record breaker and definitely hold specimens of many species. Of course, like most people, I enjoy catching specimen fish. A 2lb+ river roach always brings a smile to my face. Catching roach to 1lb 9oz on the drop from a local field pond last Tuesday was one of the most enjoyable days I’ve had this year.

How do I rate my catches? I get a bigger buzz catching a 8oz wild trout than a 5lb Chub.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Having been brought up fishing on the Canals near my home. To this day, if I catch three fish (of any size or species) I'm happy.

Or am I sad?

Mark

Since we're clearly from the same region......sad you are not....3 fish...in one session....eee...I dream of days like that!!!

The 5 FMers who were at one stage together on a certain water last Thursday (3 "fishing" and two more sensibly come down for an hour or so to talk!!) would have been grateful for 1 fish between us by the end!!
    He is every other inch a gentleman.

Doesn't that ring a bell!
    A four mile bike ride each way for a blank was standard; a gudgeon was a result; a roach was a triumph. Two fish - cloud nine.
    And yet the bloody thing was stuffed with fish -I just couldn't work out how to catch them. (No anglers in the family).
    Most of the time, I still can't, and I still tend to waste "proper" fishing time "scratching" to save the blank, before I can get my serious head on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Hat Clay View Post
    I couldn't help but notice of the recent Drennan award winners, how many came from the same area of England, that is the southern gravel pits. Let's face it if you want to catch many outsize coarse fish, you must go to a southern pit, or nothing.

Yet fly fishers don't think like this. Most are happy to catch small wild brown trout of moorland streams along with the big trout of some stillwaters and reservoirs. A 1 pound wild brown trout is often regarded as a more creditable capture than a reservoir 10 pounder.

But the vast majority of coarse fishers would not rate a 5 pound canal tench against a 10 pound pit fish. Many would not even bother to attempt to catch a 5 pound canal or drain tench, or even a 10 pound river bream when 20 pound pit bream are being caught.

But how do you rate your catches. Is it weight at all costs or do you have a sense of proportion like many of the fly fishermen?

I refer you to post #18, found here:
    Do you fish for the weight.......

Hmm, I wonder what Mr R Walker would have made of it all.... trips to Redmire back then, trips to southern pits now, no difference is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Hat Clay View Post

I take very little notice of what's being caught outside of the waters/area that I fish. The rest of the world may well disagree, but I'd be far more impressed with a barbel of 10lb+, carp of 25lb+, roach of 2lb+, bream of 5lb+ or tench of 5lb+ from my corner of North Yorkshire than I would with barbel of 15lb+, carp of 40lb+, roach of 3lb+, bream of 12lb+ and tench of 12lb+ from many areas down South. They may as well have been caught in another country for all the relevance such Southern fish have to me. If you are a serious Northern Specimen hunter, chances are that you will have to travel if you want to trouble national record lists, Drennan Cups and the like. The only type of fishing that seem to manage to compete with is on the out and out commercial match fisheries. In this case it's not all about the maximum possible weight of individual fish, bloody good job too!

I'm sure that plenty would scorn such small fish as we have to go at this far North but it's simply not comparable to fishing down South. I suspect that there is only one species of fish that has ever, or will ever, trouble the record lists from the North East, that's the chub. We also get respectable sized Grayling on occasion but they won't trouble the best fish from a Southern chalk stream.

I see no acknowledgement that this situation exists in either the angling press or on various websites. I doubt that I'll ever see a 13lb Swale barbel get a weekly award despite it being a fish of a lifetime. Truth be told, I'll thank my lucky stars if I ever see a 13lb Swale barbel! Hell, I know folks that have fished the Yorkshire rivers for barbel all their life and never even seen a double.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast