How close are we

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
F

Frothey

ok, thanks mike, but i hope they dont make a MONKey out of us all........?

which are the south west waters?...not heard about them........

colsmiff

Reaction score
Baz,
the Weaver/Bridgewater/T&M fish kill last year was not KHV. If you remember the CEFAS labs couldn't find any trace of known viruses in the bodies they examined. Infections, be they viral or bacterial do not just disappear when the host dies, some trace is always left. With bacteria, they will continue to feed and multiply on the dead flesh. Viruses need living cells to replicate, however since they are not strictly living, they cannot die when the host does, hence there would be a significant viral titre in the carcass which would be detectable by ELISA, viral culture or even nowadays Mass Spectroscopy.

colsmiff

Reaction score
And remember Baz, it was ONLY the carp that died, not a single roach, bream, chub sucumbed to the disease.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I didn't say it was KHV mate.
It wasn't a notifiable dis/virus because it wasn't recognised. That is why they still allowed people to fish the Weaver.

All tests came back negative so technically/scientifically there wasn't a problem.

Blunderer

Reaction score
I haven't had time to read this whole thread but your original posting is excellent and bang on, as usual, Ron.