Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    john conway Guest

Like or hate it the Ribble venue report has just past 1000 postings. For me the information posted by the Ribble FM team is extremely useful for my records, which maybe some day I'll get around to analysing?
    I've also made some good friends, corresponded with loads of other FM members who in return have past on useful information regarding other venues. The venue reports also spawned the now famous Ribble Winter Chub Fish-in (coming up for its 7th event this coming winter). The Fish-in again lead to me into meeting even more FM members and attending other FM fish-ins. BTW Lee I'm looking foreword to your Trent Fish-in report, and job wise permitting I'll be on the next one.
    I'm not really into all this modern team hugging etc but hell lads I'm sure glade I've meet you all.

Why would anyone hate it John? Even if you are an FM member not fishing the Ribble the fact that so many people are putting so much up to date info out for all to see surely helps anyone's fishing on a vaguely similar venue.

john conway Guest

Because it is said that it encourages undesirable elements in angling, namely too many coarse anglers, according to the Salmon lads. At the last PAAS open day a very well known angler insinuated such and suggested that the internet, namely FishingMagic and the like, are the reasons why Balderstones was lost. I've had one or two local anglers complain to me about too much publicity. I've had anglers suggesting that this publicity will lead to landowners raising the price of fishing right leases etc etc. All of which in my opinion is complete nonsense.

Sounds to me like somebody didn't get their favourite peg one day and needed someone to blame. I suppose it saved the weeklies from copping it that week.

john conway Guest

Youíd be surprised Graham just how many anglers do get hung up about their favourite peg.
    All in all Graham there are a good set of lads on the Ribble and Iíve no complaints about any of the major clubs who control the fishing rights.
    Anyhow, Iím looking forward to the next 1000 postings and getting to know a few new faces.

I wouldn't be surprised John. On the Trent last week I think I was in somebody's favourite peg for when he turned up and found me in it he said:

"I know you, and I've caught a bigger barbel than you have on the Dove but I haven't told anybody and it wasn't caught from where you caught yours, in fact I might not even have caught it if anybody asks me. Know what I mean?" Said with a tap-tap on the side of the nose.

He was an adult too. Me and my three mates who were listening didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I was speechless for a minute and then told him I was very pleased for him.

John, interesting point about landowners putting their prices up if good catches are reported from their venues.I manage to fish the Ribble 3 or 4 weeks a season,a pal of mine is a member of Ribchester and gets me guest tickets whenever i travel up.He tells me that on one stretch ( Boot Farm i believe )the farmer now requests that all anglers book in when they arrive and also report all fish caught before leaving.Make`s you wonder why ? To much publicity isn`t always a good thing and it`s understandable why some anglers on this site get so worked up about it.

john conway Guest

The main reason for elevating the cost of fishing on the Ribble would come form the game anglers. They alone are willing to pay far more for their fishing than the coarse angler. As far as Iím aware most of the big angling associations require the game angler to put in fish returns for Salmon, Sea Trout and Brownies, not to do so could loose you your licence. This information is then published in the clubs annual report and Iím sure that this would be available to or can be acquired by the relevant landowner. Whatís this if itís not publicity actually provided by the club?
    Re Boot Farm, yes you have to sign in and fill in a catch return the results of which are then displayed for all anglers to see, but this may be the landowner just offering a service to the lads who fish that water.
    If any landowner, wants to find the value of their fishery then all the have to do is offer the lease to the highest bidder when the lease runs out. Iím sure that its not just money the landowner is concerned about but also the conduct of the anglers and is the club or syndicate capable of policing the behaviour of its members.
    Out of the 1000 plus posting on the Ribble I can but think of only half a dozen where the angler has named the actual club water. The accepted location is above Preston or Ribchester. I suppose you could say lower, mid or upper Ribble?

The problem with the Ribble is that at the moment it is getting just a bit too popular primarily due to the barbel. This is understandable as barbel have in the last few years become the cult fish. When I first joined Ribchester many years ago I felt that it had been busy on the river if I saw half a dozen people on the river during the season! Now it is starting to get a bit chaotic with the popular swims being blocked for long periods not on the Ribchester stretches but in other areas folk are bivvying up for long sessions.
    The concept of moderation seems to be getting forgotten by some sadly.

There have indeed been a couple of instances where waters have in one case changed hands when Clitheroe picked up the Warrington anglers stretch but the story behind this was complicated.

The other occasion was a bit of outright bad behaviour when another club tried to take over one of Ribchester's stretches via the back door and in order to retain the stretch Ribchester members took a fair hike in their subs.

This kind of appalling behaviour tends to happen when a product is popular and in short supply and it leads to a great deal of ill feeling all round.

John you are wrong when you say that it is the game anglers that push up the price of the lower river lets. The lower river is of little interest to most game anglers. Yes there are game fish caught on the lower river but the bulk of the game fishing water is above Clitheroe.

The price of the water and memberships can get eye-watering. Your first year in my main club will set you back about a grand!
    But despite the club having a huge financial clout it is not interested in the lower river and doubtless the same applies to the other major players in the game areas, eg, Lancashire Fly or yorkshire Fly.
    All these game angling clubs have a considerable amount of top game water in their portfolios and are very choosy where they spend their money!

What I would like to see is more effort being put into restoring the roach shoals that the Ribble was once noted for and also the dace shoals, though these are making a bit of a comeback.

What would also be nice to see would be anglers making a bit more effort to use different methods of catching fish instead of all blindly following the standard method of hair rig and bolt rig with pellets or boilies as I feel that to concentrate on such a narrow range does nothing to further the development of the angler and will eventually bcome boring!

The Ribble is a wonderful river with so many moods and variations and a big range of fish to go at so why not try something different for once?

john conway Guest

Alan although you are correct in saying that game angling is in the main above Clitheroe, Balderstones has just been taken over by a game only club and this is well down the river. Iíve also seen large numbers of Salmon lads fishing the Dewhurst House day ticket water and the PAAS stretch above Ribchester. RADAC may also have lost a stretch which I believe may be coming on the market? But I donít want to go into further detail re Club waters of which Iím a member.
    It would certainly be nice to see the roach making a come back, however, the Ribble can only support a certain number of fish relative to itís overall bio-mass. So far as the roach coming back in the numbers of later years, then some other species is going to have to reduce. What is of more concern, than the predominance of Barbel is the carp, which are now being caught just bellow or maybe above Ribchester?
    I would also like to see more lads in the winter pike fishing on the lower stretches. However, I have a feeling that the anglers who would come to the Ribble for the roach and pike would be in addition to those who are already here fishing for the Barbel.
    Itís quite selfish of me but Iíd like to see some very cold winters. a) because that in itís self would reduce the number of anglers on the bank and b) also the lack of Barbel when the water temp drops below 6C would make the river even quieter. The forecast however, is for a wet warm winter once again?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast