Fishing Race.............

E

EC

Ian re: the date.

I think the important thing is to have it as accessible as possible to everybody, so as many people as possible take part and the charity gets a decent cheque!

If we say a 3 day fishing race, those that can get a 3 day pass can go for it big styleeee, those just wishing to fish for 1 day or on one venue then they can too, happy days.

If we get a few basic prizes off site sponsors (Graham, Jonny?) we could maybe have a few prize categories so everyone is in with a shout eg, most species in 3 days, most species in 1 day and most species from 1 venue!

I

Ian Cloke

OK Eddie, I should be able to fish a couple of days mate, I'll get onto a few of the other regulars, from near me, to get a team organised;-)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'll donate two bottles of half decent Champagne (Duchatel) as prizes.

Biggest Gudgeon!
Smallest carp!

E

EC

Nice one Neil

Right the charity is one that Chris Bishop is attached to

EDP Breast Cancer Appeal

More details of this appeal will hopefully follow in the next few days!

Any further ideas re: the format, contact me here or via email

D

Danny Lancaster

OK while were on prizes, I will donate a lovely Fishrite Carp Mat that I won on a FM Caption Competition a few months back. Unfortunately (for me) the mat has not been used as I have have not had the time to use go specimen fishing. I dont want to try and "gain" from it on ebay and this is the perfect opportunity to donate it back amongst the FM lads.

I will send the mat to the person who catches the biggest specimen fish by weight/percentage of British Record.

HOWS THAT?

E

EC

Nice one Danny, how about you throw Emily Heskey in as well, seeing as how you're splashing it about!

D

Danny Lancaster

hahaha...Heskey & Kirkland Eh? Know any good physio's? We might be needed an extra pair of hands.

I see Johnsons firing em in as well? A Barn Couldnt door hit?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Eddie, how about letting it run for a week?
Bank holiday weekend is a big no no for me, I have to do kid stuff and family things.
You could run it Saturday to Saturday, all entries in by the Saturday midnight?

E

EC

Johnsons, get used to the name, the amount of time big Emily spends on the deck you're gonna need some serious sponsorship to pay for that cleaning bill.

Neil, I agree, it was Chris B's suggestion.

E

EC

Not sure Steve, what do the regulars think?

I suppose it could run for the whole of national fishing week!

C

Christian Tyroll

How about any Juniors on the site helping me make up a Junior team? Jakkle?
Ay come out you lot...

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Who is collecting the dosh and who do we send it to?
I would suggest somebody off this site. Eddie, Chris, who?

E

EC

It'll be Chris Baz, will work out an entry procedure with him mate!

C

Chris Bishop

Can't find all the background stuff, sent Eddie something like this:

I set up the EDP Breast Cancer Appeal with friends and colleagues at the Eastern Daily Press newspaper three years ago.

We initally set out to raise ?100,000; to improve facilities in the Breast Care Unit at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH), in King's Lynn.

Actress Claire Goose and TV weathergirl Becky Jago agreed to be our patrons and it really captured the imagination of people from Norfolk.

When we hit our target in under a year, the hospital asked if we fancied a stab at raising ?500,000 to fund a more ambitious scheme.

To date, the appeal stands at just over ?240,000. The first phase of work is more or less complete but fund raisers are still hard at work.

My Mum had breast cancer and I always wanted to do something by way of thanks to the people who made miracles and gave her back her life.

She's still alive thanks to them, and enjoying her grand-children. And my kids still have their Nan.

When we launched the appeal, we were bowled over by how many people's lives it touched - including people we knew.

One woman workmate lost her mum to breast cancer not long after we hit the ?100,000 mark.

I lost count of the number of times it moved me to tears, some of the people who raised money for it are no longer with us.

This is something that could hit any of our Mums, wives, relatives, girlfriends or female friends.

But the good news is that more and
more women are surviving it, because they're getting to detecting it earlier and
earlier, when treatment stands an increased chance of success.

Before the appeal was launched, the unit at the QEH was cramped and there weren't even dedicated changing facilities.

The demands on breast care units across the country are rocketing, both because of our aging population and increased awareness of the symptoms.

Women waiting for potentially bad news shared a waiting room with people with minor injuries and ailments being treated by other departments at the hospital.

And perhaps worst of all, anyone given the devastating news that they had cancer had to walk back through the waiting rooms
to another area of the hospital to get their crucial first counselling.

We wanted to help them modernise things and above all give the women treated at the unit a bit of privacy and dignity back
at what for many is the worst time of their lives.

It also helps speed up that crucial stage between diagnosis and treatment.

We've achieved a lot already. I'm so proud friends from FISHINGmagic are coming on board to help.

I've seen this happen a few times now, probably most notably in memory of James Farrow, the son of Rich and Di.

Thanks to Eddie and anyone who gets involved for caring.

~ Hard-nosed hack with tears in his eyes..!

C

Chris Bishop

Cheques need to be made out to a charity account at the hospital and sent there - let me check it, try and let you know tomorrow.