Ian Bell

B

Bully

Mmmmm many points there.

First, Jones has stopped spilling chances. When did he spill Younis and Yusif?? I didn't see it.

Second, the w/k is encouraged to go for snicks, after all he has big gloves!

What is Jone's average? Not sure, but it isn't bad I think?

Footwork is fundamental to good batting. You can get away with it with poor bowling, which is my point above. The Pakistani bowling is average at best, and if Read does the same down under he will get eaten alive. Jones's footwork is far superior.

And KP. Why is he so good? He does everything that I coach AGAINST in terms of his left shoulder and arm alignment in a shot, but he does everything you would want in terms of footwork (and a good eye of course). If your footwork is not outstanding, you will never be a top level batsman, period. I could list numerous examples of "brilliant" and "nearly" on that score.

I had the "pleasure" of Graham Dilley bowling at me "full chat" once in the nets, and Alan Knott keeping wicket (standing up!!). Now there was someone with footwork.....Alan Knott of course.

And a footnote, Alan Knotts brother, Francis, died suddenly the other week. This was a guy who got a terrible ribbing when he played in Kent League Cricket 'cos he wasn't as good as 'bruv. However he put an enormous amount of energy into youth cricket development in our local area. He will be sadly missed.

And I guess you have sussed my allegiance for Jones!!

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Jones hasn't dropped either of those 2 players yet, but he has dropped plenty of others. It was only a matter of time.
The keeper should go for it, true, but not if he can't get near it.
Jones averages about 27 in test cricket which isn't good enough unless you're top class with the gloves. This average has been coming down for the last 2 years from 40 ish so Read deseves his chance.
Footwork is nomally the basis of good batting, but not always. Test cricket is about what's upstairs as much as talent.
Look at Mark Ramprakash and Marcus Trescothick. No comparison with style and footwork, but the man with no footwork has a far superior test record. I'll take a keeper who scores 'ugly' 30s than pretty 20s. It's how many not how.
Bowlers like Warne and Mcgrath will get anyone out no matter how good. Look at last summers ashes though and look how many unorthodox runs our tail scored. We averaged over 100 for the last 5 wickets not by moving feet like Hoggard, but taking the fight to the opposition.

J

john ledger

Bully if you want to see the difference between Read and Jones check Jack Bannisters comparisons on the byes given and Read comes out way on top.
I also played cricket at a reasonable level Sheffield Boys South Yorks boys and Sheffield United council side which hosted quite a few Yorkshire Colts and in the sixties Yorkshire where head and shoulders above any side.
Chris Read is head and shoulders above Jones and always has been in my opinion

J

john ledger

England must forget about Michael Vaughan Simon Jones because i dont think they will play for England again.
Flintoff according to some reports will never bowl fast again so what a bonus Saj Mahmood is,a bowler of genuine pace young and one to be nurtured.
For a fast bowler he has a terrific action and although i was the first to shout about Liam Plunkett(well before he was selected)Mahmood is the better prospect.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
John I agree with you about Chris Read over Jones. Bully I think you are way off the mark on this one.

J

john ledger

Richard he is not only a better keeper but a younger one