One rod or two on a river?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the time on the river I will only use one rod at a time. I will have spare rods set up for different methods depending on conditions though.

On occasion I will put our a 'sleeper' rod though if my main attack is on the float.

Regarding 'double takes' - well, in over 50 years of fishing rivers I have never encountered one myself, nor have I ever seen another angler in this situation.

Getting a single take on my local rivers is difficult enough, a double take would rank up there with Lottery winners and West Ham winning the Premiership . . . . . . . this coming season!

dezza

Reaction score
Regarding 'double takes' - well, in over 50 years of fishing rivers I have never encountered one myself, nor have I ever seen another angler in this situation

You aint fished the Trent when the barbel are biting.

On three occasions I can remember I have had a barbel on each rod. It's happened to Lee Swords as well - whilst he was filming!

Philip

Reaction score
Regarding 'double takes' - well, in over 50 years of fishing rivers I have never encountered one myself, nor have I ever seen another angler in this situation.

I am really surprised to hear that. I have had double takes on several occasions …well when I say double take I mean I am playing one fish and the other rod kicks off...but perhaps this was due to the style of fishing I was doing which was over prebaited swims...

Post script...posted this then saw Ron posted basically exactly the same 1min earlier ...must have been thinking the same thing as him...help, someone shoot me quick..;)

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Most of the time on the river I will only use one rod at a time. I will have spare rods set up for different methods depending on conditions though.

On occasion I will put our a 'sleeper' rod though if my main attack is on the float.

Getting a single take on my local rivers is difficult enough, a double take would rank up there with Lottery winners and West Ham winning the Premiership . . . . . . . this coming season!

---------

" Regarding 'double takes' - well in 50 years of fishing rivers I have never encountered one myself, nor have I ever seen another angler in this situation" .

----------

I can only agree with this sentance above and I have fished some prolific Barbel rivers !!

I know I only fish Rivers with indigenous Stocks of Barbel and with the river facing the correct way.

But I also have never had a double take whilst using 2 rods for Barbel.

At one time I did a lot of River Carping (I believe that Roman Welchy put them in) and on that stretch of Relief Channel three rod were allowed.

If I felt it was unsafe to use two rods ( not enough room) I would use one rod.

How many of these internet " I would never use two rods " posters have ever used two rods ?

Not many; I bet !!

Bob

Last edited:

Dave Slater

Reaction score
For me 2 rods for barbel can never be right or safe.

I've seen so many on the ribble get two takes at once and get in a proper mess. Only someone else coming to save them has normally prevented disaster.

However, many who carryout this practice claim it's safe. I've yet to hear a blow by blow account of how a double hook up should be dealt with though and I've never seen anyone deal with one alone and thought, yes, he handled that well without dangering either fish...

The main reason I fish one rod on the river is simple. It's far better to fish one rod well, than two rods badly.

My catch rate is far better with one rod than it would be with two, so there's really no need. It's a false economy!

I agree 100% Paul. I only ever use one rod on a river for any species.

B

Berty

I agree 100% Paul. I only ever use one rod on a river for any species.

There is a time and place for one rod and yes i would agree that in certain situations one rod fished well will certainly out fish 2 rods fished badly......indeed fishing two rods can, at times be bad fishing.

But i often use two rods when the situation warrants it......eg. carping, zander and piking, i admit that nowadays my barbel fishing revolves around one rod, but i certainly will not say that i will never use two for barbel again.

i disagree that its unsafe........at the right time.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Can't see the Hammers winning the championship - There’s more chance of Desert Orchid winning the boat race

We don't have to win it, we just have to come second or win the play off's.
Arsenal will do well to be in the top 4 this season.

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

Ooopssss hi-jacked the thread, sorry, blame Peter and Babblingboi :D

Paul C

Reaction score
---------

I know I only fish Rivers with indigenous Stocks of Barbel and with the river facing the correct way.

But I also have never had a double take whilst using 2 rods for Barbel.

If I felt it was unsafe to use two rods ( not enough room) I would use one rod.

How many of these internet " I would never use two rods " posters have ever used two rods ?

Not many; I bet !!

Bob

I don't get it... why am I an "internet poster" as though that's means I'm not a real angler?

What is the relevance in terms of whether I've used 2 rods before or not? Does that make the basic point any different?? i.e. If you are playing a barbel that's taking line on one rod, how can you take charge of the other??

It's a simple problem all 'double rodders' dodge, instead of actually giving a proper answer too?? All they say is, yeh, there are times when it's fine.... I want someone to tell me how it's SAFELY handled. No one ever has!

Perhaps you could be the one who tells us how it's done?

Well maybe not if you've never had it?

I can say for certain I've SEEN it 3 or 4 times a season on the ribble for 5 or 6 years on the bounce, probably more. It's never pretty and it's common because the river is full of pup barbel to decent doubles and in the right swims they arrive in numbers.

Have a look back on the ribble venue reports. One guy had a barbel on when his other rod went. He landed first barbel........ guess what, he then weighed it before taking control of rod number two!! I kid you not.... I couldn't make it up!! Classic....

Like I say.......... it's NEVER safe regardless whether it's your first double take or not.

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
Most of the time..........2 rods.

Some of the time..........1 rod.

The latter when there's physically not enough room to play fish safely, or when there's really only one likely baiting spot.

I've never had 2 on at once. The closest I've come is twice when unhooking a fish, the other rod has gone. Not a problem.

The whole point is to prepare your approach to the swim so that should two at once happen, you have enough room and time to deal with the situation.
The chances against it actually happening on the rivers I fish for barbel are so remote as to be laughable.

If I was fishing a "prolific" water then yes, I would only fish one rod, but I haven't so far.
And why the emphasis on two barbel at once? The chances are just as likely a chub, bream, roach, tench, carp............depending which river you fish?

Perhaps the question should be changed to "one rod or two on your river?"

Philip

Reaction score
Just in case it does happen to anyone...

I usually fish alone so the way I deal with a double take (with Carp) is to play one fish as quickly as I can into the net, a very quick glance and if its a small fish I will try and unhook rapidly in the net & reverse the net to release it immediately then grab the other rod. If its a good fish or the hook is obviously going to play hard to get out then I hold then net between my knees or if I am on an elevated bank under my foot while I play the other rod. If thats a small fish I will try and either “waggle” it off in the edge or have a go at unhooking it in the water while still holding the net with the other fish. If both fish are well hooked and wont come off then worst case scenario I net the second fish into the same net.

Yes its not ideal and I am sure people will scream and holler about fish welfare and so on but on the occasions its happened it worked out ok.

rains

Reaction score
If you are roaming, it has to be one rod, checking out every likely looking swim.

Once you know the river and the fish holding areas, it's a two rod situation for me.

Get the bait in going in, fish one to the prime area and the onther rod either upstream or well away from the first rod.

If the swim is tight, stick to one rod.

Bob
If am stationary 2 rods max anymore and it becomes a problem for me and if am piking (lure) i only ever used 1 rob as am covering alot of ground and using a second rod is pointless all my consintration need to be on the lure.

watatoad

Reaction score
I only use one rod at a time because that is all I feel I can concentrate on properly.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I only use one rod at a time because that is all I feel I can concentrate on properly.

The Beta Lights, Buzzers, Bait runners sceaming and the illuminated indicators take care of my lack of concentration.

----------

Paul

As I said before, if I'm fishing a venue where there is a likelyhood of a double take I only fish one rod, but as most of the waters I fish are rock hard, with not many fish in the venue, I fish two rods.

As I have never had a double hook up with Barbel on a river it's difficult to answer.

But I have had double takes when River Carping, I always set my baitrunners hard, so I lower the tip of the second rod into the water and play the first fish to the net, then I click in the baitrunner and play the second fish to the net ?

Having never lost a Carp while doing this, I don't see as a problem, but of course I have been doing this for a very long time.

Bob

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
Of those who are against the use of two rods, have any of you actually ever tried fishing two rods?

If so, what was your experience?

watatoad

Reaction score
I am not against using multiple rods, but I prefer to use just one.

Paul C

Reaction score
Of those who are against the use of two rods, have any of you actually ever tried fishing two rods?

If so, what was your experience?

I've used 2 rods very occasionally. I've since given it up with perhaps the exception of fishing speci style on stillwaters for bream or tench. Most, in fact practically all of my river fishing until late autumn is float fishing anyway.

Personally I never felt comfortable with it and always thought the other rod was in the way when playing fish.

Most importantly, the style I use feeder fishing on the river now is impossible to replicate with two rods and I am 100% certain I will catch more chub and barbel on one rod using the method I do than any method involving two rods.

Reaction score
For any kind of stalking, I'd take one rod, landing net, packet of hooks, box of shot and bait. If you can see the fish all the better. If not don't spend too long in each swim.