Unattended Rods

noknot

Reaction score
Rod / Rods cast, mate walks to the next swim and starts to chat with his mate. OK as long as not too far and can hear alarms.

Rod / Rods cast out, guy in bivvy asleep. OK with buzzers.

Rod / Rods cast out, guy takes a walk around the venue to look for fish signs. NO NO NO!!!

Fishing with more than one rod, Guy playing fish on one rod, has had to move a little to allow him to play the fish better or easier and the other rod gets a run. This can happen, and is not easy, all you can do if alone is to land the first fish, then deal with the next, never lost one when it's happend to me, but it has only happend a couple of times on 40 years!

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

flightliner

Reaction score
Bob Hornegold....unless I miss my guess I think Flightliner was trying to be funny-or at least I hope he was!
TC,Well read and well interpreted!. As usual you are dead right. The incident is true, it was obseved one afternoon on the Trent a couple of years back .
When I posted as I did I was trying to give a reply in a manner that one of those observed might have written if he responded to this thread.
I must try harder next time.

The bad one

Reaction score
Rod / Rods cast, mate walks to the next swim and starts to chat with his mate. OK as long as not too far and can hear alarms.

Rod / Rods cast out, guy takes a walk around the venue to look for fish signs. NO NO NO!!!

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 13:44 ----------

Not on my waters it's not! Your card is gone! Club rules are 5 metres away from your rods. The EA lads will give you the same. Further than that and the EA will deem you not in immediate control of your rods. Ergo you have left your rods unattended.

Too many in Angling think they are Usain Bolt. Even though they're completely cured anorexics :eek:

True story this, me and another bailiff watched two members spend in total 1hr 20 mins in one another's swims a 100 yards apart. We were also fishing and timed them. After reeling in we went to the other side of a large water, grabbed hold of both lines and pulled them a good few yards. Usain came a running, and said Oh I just went to get something off my mate :eek:

Didn't bank on us timing the pair of them, but when confronted with the logged times admitted it. His mate started to argue, not the smartest move, because his mate had already admitted to his mate's offences as well and agree his times were about right. Gave up on his protestations when his mate said they've got us bang to rights

Both got their membership suspended only because they admitted instantly to the offences at the hearing.

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

The bad one......guilty as charged I'm afraid! Be it through ignorance or failure to read my licence properly I have to admit I have never read the EA rules which, after 60 years of fishing is pretty poor..........my only saving grace is that I have read my club rules thoroughly!!!
I shall rectify this at once and although I haven't checked yet I assume said EA rules are on the licence??

Thanks for putting me straight though!!

No TC it's not on your licence as they are now the size of a large postage stamp. It's in the national by-laws. By-laws which it's the licence holders responsibility to have read.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've no doubt I'm not the only one ignorant of the EU rules but at least your post has highlighted the matter and made us all a little more aware of our responsibilities which can only be good for angling..

In reality it all comes down to common sense and care for your sport.......I hope it rubs off on some.............................

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In reality it all comes down to common sense and care for your sport.......

EXACTLY!

Draconian club 'rules' enforced by over zealous bailiffs, all be they backed-up by an EA regulation; that is hardly clearly defined, are not, IMO the way to go.

Common sense rules!

As I said previously, I have no problem with moving a few metres to chat with a friend in the next swim as both of us can cover our rods from 5 or 6 metres away. Any further and I'd wind-in the rods or indeed if a longer 'break' was planned.

At night time I tend to bring my rods back in as I've never really had much success between a few hours after dusk and an hour or two before dawn. That way I can get a decent night's sleep and be sure to not upset the Carp/Tench/Barbel Police by doing so.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
5 or 6 metres is only about 20 feet, in my opinion most swims are more than 20 feet away.

I agree with Common Sense ruling however, the problem is that everyone has a different idea of what common sense is and how they interprut it.

The EA ruling is not very clear at all, it needs to be more defined and set as a standard ruling to all clubs and waters in the UK if they want it to work properly. The fact that probably more people don't know about it than do is proof enough that they are not doing enough to make people aware, whether it is there responsibilty or not to read the rules.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Ah but it is from the Rods themselves not the Swim so it would depend where your last rod was placed. or how fat you were, or how fat you both were lol

I also didn't realise that if you are using 3 or 4 rods that from the first Rods Butt to the last Rods Butt they are not allowed to be positioned more than 3 metres apart.

I thought you could place them anywhere within your swim, but apparently not <looks bemused>

The bad one

Reaction score
EXACTLY!

Draconian club 'rules' enforced by over zealous bailiffs, all be they backed-up by an EA regulation; that is hardly clearly defined, are not, IMO the way to go.

Common sense rules!

Works for two of the largest clubs in the country Peter! Stops them losing waters because the riparian owners know they will deal with offenders who break the terms of leases effectively and efficiently.
As for common sense? Well the two anglers thought it was "common sense" to be 100 yards away from their rods.
BTW its 5 m from the nearest to you. And as Steph says 3 m spread of rods.
Steph let me repeat again Ignorance is no defense in the eyes of the law. And if booked by the EA and taken to court for it, the magistrate will find you guilty of the offense you are charged with. Pointing out it is "your" responsibility to be abrest of the National by-laws applicable to the sport you participate in.

As far as the clubs go, both have it their cards, one even gives an inductions night to new members. Where it is stressed to them "read and understand the rules in your card, so you don't get booked for breaking them." "And our hardworking bailiffs will book you if you are breaking them because the club doesn't want or need that type of member. Breaking rules loses waters! "
Now if members or potential members don't like that after hearing it, they are under no compunction to remain members or join the club.

So I think both clubs have take the "spoon feeding" of its members the rules as far as they possibly can.
And my view is if you then ignore that advice, you deserve all that comes your way.

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
BTW its 5 m from the nearest to you.

The EA byelaws don't state how far away you are allowed from your rods, this is all it states ......... "Any person who leaves a rod and line with its bait or hook in the water unattended or so that the person shall be unable at any time to take or excercise sufficient control over said rod and line shall be guilty of an offence." This quote was taken from the EA,s "A Guide to the Rod Fishing Byelaws for the Midlands Region" which is the area that covers Staffordshire where i live.

Ignorance is no excuse, but i wonder just how many people know that the byelaw even exists let alone how it applies to fishing ..... not bloody many i bet, so that just goes to make a mockery out of the system used to educate anglers and to get the best out of the rules. Perhaps it needs looking at again and updating so that it is introduced to all waters as a set one standard for everyone to follow, the owners and the memebrs or day ticket fishermen.

Still, i am glad i asked, because i at least fully understand what the byelaws are now and how to find them. No excuses from this angler ...... i can be all smug about it <grins to ones self>

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ignorance is no excuse, but i wonder just how many people know that the byelaw even exists let alone how it applies to fishing ..... not bloody many i bet, so that just goes to make a mockery out of the system used to educate anglers and to get the best out of the rules. Perhaps it needs looking at again and updating so that it is introduced to all waters as a set one standard for everyone to follow, the owners and the memebrs or day ticket fishermen.

I knew about it and I also knew about the law to prevent spreading rods around a swim that was described earlier in the thread. I'd tend to agree that they aren't widely known or publicised. Plenty of carp and pike anglers with multiple rod setups flout both laws all over the country. I've even seen the odd barbel angler doing similar. I suspect that there are more than a few anglers that are aware of such things but just ignore them and would plead ignorance if caught out.

Some folk simply don't abide by laws let alone fishery rules.

noknot

Reaction score
"Rod / Rods cast, mate walks to the next swim and starts to chat with his mate. OK as long as not too far and can hear alarms."

@ Mr bad one, in no way did I mean 100+ yrs'd away! As I stated "not too far" sorry I do not carry a tape measure whilst fishing, and I do not need a slap on the hand fom you, Oh almighty Bailiff!

guest61

Reaction score
"Rod / Rods cast, mate walks to the next swim and starts to chat with his mate. OK as long as not too far and can hear alarms."

@ Mr bad one, in no way did I mean 100+ yrs'd away! As I stated "not too far" sorry I do not carry a tape measure whilst fishing, and I do not need a slap on the hand fom you, Oh almighty Bailiff!

I happen to be in the same club as 'The Bad One' and I'm with him all of the way on this. He won't slap anyone - most lose their 'hard faced attitude' when they have to explain their actions in front of the committee.

The rule book states, 'Members must always be in a position to take immediate control of their rods'. Which in my opinion should include not having a rod in the water if you intend getting some sleep when you're out fishing.

I guess its not the club for you Mr Noknot.

Mark

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I think it is good that people take a tougher stance on enforcing the rules, i don't like this holier than thou attitude of well it is your responsibility to read and understand the rules, because some anglers can't read, no not all but some, i for one get bored of reading rule after rule after rule after page of rules and i end up shutting off.

I do think that an angler who is caught not following the rules should be warned and have it explained to them and their License / Membership marked, then if caught again breaking the rules should have the book thrown at him / her.

I for one will not be breaking these rules and i will instruct anyone i go fishing with in the rules then they can't say they didn't know.

I would like to thank the Bad One and anyone else who pointed out the Byelaws as it really has been a eye opener for me, and a lesson i would much rather learn on here than on the banks of some fishery.

noknot

Reaction score
As I stated not too far!

"Which in my opinion should include not having a rod in the water if you intend getting some sleep when you're out fishing."

So how about a 3-4 day session, are you serious?

"I guess its not the club for you Mr Noknot"

I have been a member of many clubs and syndicates over the years, and never had a problem, Yes maybe your club is not for me as I do not need mini Hitlers when I am fishing.

guest61

Reaction score
So how about a 3-4 day session, are you serious?

Am I serious? Yes, I am.

The thread is about unattended rods and in my view leaving your rods unattended is wrong.

The club has some really good knowledgeable bailiffs and membership. I've not met any 'mini Hitlers' - if I did, and my German was up to it, I'd ask them was it true about the 'one testicle thing' and report back.

Mark

Last edited:

Simon K

Reaction score
I have been a member of many clubs and syndicates over the years, and never had a problem, Yes maybe your club is not for me as I do not need mini Hitlers when I am fishing.

Should we apply Godwin's Law now and stop? :confused:;)

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
I fail to see how you can be in control of anything whilst you are asleep ...... regardless as to how close you are to your Rods. This is why i think it is a unclear EA Byelaw and needs to be standardised with properly defined and concise rules. It is to open to an individuals own interpretaions.