Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unattended Rods

Blog Entries

Question Unattended Rods

What is classed as Acceptable, and why ?

Let me give you some examples.

Rod / Rods cast, mate walks to the next swim and starts to chat with his mate.

Rod / Rods cast out, guy in bivvy asleep.

Rod / Rods cast out, guy takes a walk around the venue to look for fish signs.

Fishing with more than one rod, Guy playing fish on one rod, has had to move a little to allow him to play the fish better or easier and the other rod gets a run.

Now this can and does happen on Both Stillwaters and on Rivers.

I have done some of the very same as above in my lesser expererienced fishing days (and i'm not much more experienced now) just wiser i'd like to think.

Personally i wouldn't fish with more than 1 rod at a time at any venue now, but that's through personal choice.

Default Re: Unattended Rods

I agree with you.Like you I have fished multiple rods etc without problems and has obvious benefits but from choice I only fish one these days....a more relaxed approach I suppose...

As for leaving rods unattended; for me an absolute no-no unless its to water the horse and even them I'm not keen. I fish a lake which has,at the last count, 4 rods riding around the deeps because anglers have moved away without taking precautions-in fact one chap only turned to find something or open a flask and the rod took off never to be seen again!

Yes, I know carp anglers remove the risks with well setup tackle but IMHO if you're going for a walk to fish-spot then removing your bait from the water is a must but then when I used to night fish I always sat by my rods and wound in when I dozed off.....how things have changed...............

Quote Originally Posted by steph mckenzie View Post
    What is classed as Acceptable, and why ?

Let me give you some examples.

Rod / Rods cast, mate walks to the next swim and starts to chat with his mate.

Rod / Rods cast out, guy in bivvy asleep.

Rod / Rods cast out, guy takes a walk around the venue to look for fish signs.

Fishing with more than one rod, Guy playing fish on one rod, has had to move a little to allow him to play the fish better or easier and the other rod gets a run.

Now this can and does happen on Both Stillwaters and on Rivers.

I have done some of the very same as above in my lesser expererienced fishing days (and i'm not much more experienced now) just wiser i'd like to think.

Personally i wouldn't fish with more than 1 rod at a time at any venue now, but that's through personal choice.
    --------

Surely steph you are mainly preaching to the already converted ?

And anyone with a reasoned argument will be shot down by the B.P. who dominate this site.

As you know, two of the above are illegal and as long as you are within arms reach of your rods, whether in a bivvy asleep or awake it is legal ?

Personal choice on the other hand, dictates fishing safely in any given situation !!

Bob

What bout watching underwater cameras on a screen a good distance from the rods? This must be OK because it was on a DVD about catching carps.

Scott Whatmore Guest

" And anyone with a reasoned argument will be shot down by the B.P. who dominate this site."

What or who are the B.P. ?

That aside. My belief is, if not next to your rod(s). Don't put em in the water.
    Last edited by Scott Whatmore; 03-07-2011 at 10:06.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hornegold View Post
    Personal choice on the other hand, dictates fishing safely in any given situation !!
    Exactly right!

These days I bring the rods in a couple of hours after dark and get my head down for a few hours until a few hours before dawn. I find it safer and to be honest I've never had much happening inbetween those hours.

In daylight hours I use a good receiver for my carp or Tench fishing and don't have a problem in moving a few yards to have a chat with a friend in the next swim.

Bob, B.P? . . . . . . . ah, right, I get it lol

PS: Barbel Police

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Blog Entries

Which 2 are illegal ?

I take it the walking round the Venue is one of them, but is it actually illegal ?

If you are asleep in your bivvy and the alarms go off, your rods are still unattended. I would like to see how long someones arms are to be asleep in there bivvy and only be an arms length away from there Rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hornegold View Post
    Surely steph you are mainly preaching to the already converted ?
    I don't actually remember Preaching to anyone, i was asking what do we class as acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by steph mckenzie View Post
    If you are asleep in your bivvy and the alarms go off, your rods are still unattended.
    Considering how many people night fish and use bivvies I'd guess you're wrong on this. The unattended rod byelaw doesn't state that you have to be awake

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mol View Post
    Considering how many people night fish and use bivvies I'd guess you're wrong on this. The unattended rod byelaw doesn't state that you have to be awake
    Sorry i didn't mean that this was Illegal, i was just generalising on the quote of being an Arms Length away.

I didn't even know there was a by law for unattended rods and who would enforce such a law ??????? bizarre

I’ll never forget, some years ago, we made a dawn start at a still water. Soon after setting up an alarm, set high enough to wake the dead, went off on the other side. After about three minutes an angler a few swims down brought his rods in, ran down the bank and played the tethered carp in. If you thought the alarm was loud you should have heard this guy after he dragged ‘dopey’ from his bivy and all but threw him in the lake.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast