Well done Ron Clay

S

Stewart Bloor

December's Angling Star carries not only the photograph but a write up as well of Ron's recent 10-12-0 barbel.

Caught on hair rigged bait and Fox series 2 carp hooks, Ron is well and truly in the 21 st Century now....well done you old codger.....

R

Ron Clay

How is it you get the AS long before it's in the shops around here.

By the way don't talk too much about how it was caught. I'll have the barbel police knocking on my doorstep.

I have caught lots of South African Barbus species bigger than that. What pleased me most about that fish was it's superb condition and the fact that it was caught in the King of English barbel rivers, the Trent.

R

Ron Clay

I never was Rik, but it's fun to wind people up occasionally.

I have spent a great deal of my time reading about how they fished many years ago. The Trent Otter and Others were great innovators. They didn't moan and long for the old days of horsehair, brass winches and wooden rods when split cane and better materials became available. They took to these innovations with great enthusiasm.

If you could do a time warp and go back 100 years and give old Martin a Carbon rod, he would chuck his cane stuff on the nearest fire!!

A

Andy Davis

Well done Ron, sounds like an excellent fish, any chance of a picture of it ?

R

Ron Clay

I will send Graham a picture next week. In fortunately I have a very light wallet at the moment so I cannot afford a digital camera and have to rely on my old Nikon F50 and Boots.

D

Dave Johnson

Ive seen watches with built in digi cameras but not boots......still, nothing surprises me.

well done Ron you old dog....peg 34.....?

P

Peter Morton

Congratulations Ron,nice to see you reaping the rewards that your faith in the Trent deserves.

K

Keith Miller

Good to see your perseverance has paid off, Ron I know many good anglers who have yet to catch their first double.
Angling Star? Never seen that in Essex. Does it only circulate in northern parts?

D

Dave O'L

Well done Ron.
Am I wrong or didn't you make a post in recent times about all your work paying off & that you were getting some really good results?
Long may it continue.

By the way you'd better watch out as the 'circus' will be following you around at this rate! ;)

S

Stewart Bloor

Hello Keith, and to anyone else that is interested. The Angling Star is based in Sheffield, and is predominantly for the Yorkshire catchment area, with adjoining areas such as North Mids etc being featured.

Although it's a regional publication, many of the articles are interesting and applicable to anglers everywhere.In fact it's a vey good read.

Ron clay is the anchorman, he writes a column called The Last Word, always found on the back page.

Outside of the catchment area it is only available on subscription. But at 65p a copy (it's monthly) it's worth having a look at.

K

Keith Miller

Thanks Sedge.Do you have a phone number or address for subscriptions?

W

Wendy Perry

I do keith i work for them i will find it later and send it on here :eek:)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The subscription phone number is 0114 2894539.

S

Stewart Bloor

The subscription for the Angling Star is ?11.52 per year and can be paid by Mastercard and Visa.

S

Stewart Bloor

PS The above is the price for postal delivery, if you live outside the 'shelf' catchment area.