Barbel Society vs Angling Trust

Reaction score
Both do a great deal for angling and angling conservation, but with £25 in my back pocket, which one should I join?

For various reasons (mainly financial) I put of joining the BS, and didn't renew my AT membership this year.

So given the choice of one, which will I get the most out of?

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Being a member of both, I know specificly where my funds go by being a member of the BS.
BUT
For the greater good of angling in general, a successful AT is paramount in my view.

So your choice.

To coin a phrase.
Ask not what your angling organisation can do for you - ask what you can do for your angling organisation !

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Different type of organisations, the Angling Trust is there as the represntative body for Angling in this country.

And after a Rocky start to life it now seems to be doing the job it was set up to do, representing Angling to Parliment.

The Barbel Society, Chub Study Group, Osprey, PerchFishers, Tench Fishers, Carp Society, ECHO, NAC, PAC, CCG all have a part to play in the education of anglers and fish care of many species.

But for my money it's more important to join the Angling Trust.

Bob

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
For the greater good of angling in general, a successful AT is paramount in my view.

Totally agree with this and Bob's conclusion.

Alas Mr Corker I fear that many will take the same path as you. We will then all be moaning that nobody takes us seriously as we have no representation. Before those of you who loathe the ATr start banging on about their shortcomings, and there are some, without them we really do not have any representation at high level.

Reaction score
Totally agree with this and Bob's conclusion.

Alas Mr Corker I fear that many will take the same path as you. We will then all be moaning that nobody takes us seriously as we have no representation. Before those of you who loathe the ATr start banging on about their shortcomings, and there are some, without them we really do not have any representation at high level.

Agree with all the above...

Angling Trust all the way

dezza

Reaction score
Well you tight ..................!!!!

With all your disposable income you should be a member of both.

I am and I'm a poor pensioner.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't have any disposable income. It goes to the tax man so that he can give it to you and the rest of the current generation of pensioners who've never had it so good.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
ATr, a necessity, other societies a luxury IMO...

If we don't have a body to fight for us and win the battles that surely must come, of what use will the various societies be???

ps I'm a little cross about the snide 'pensioners' remark so I shall have to open another bottle of claret to ease my anger..

A

alan whittington

Different type of organisations, the Angling Trust is there as the represntative body for Angling in this country.

And after a Rocky start to life it now seems to be doing the job it was set up to do, representing Angling to Parliment.

The Barbel Society, Chub Study Group, Osprey, PerchFishers, Tench Fishers, Carp Society, ECHO, NAC, PAC, CCG all have a part to play in the education of anglers and fish care of many species.

But for my money it's more important to join the Angling Trust.

Bob

Sorry Bob,but who taught you how to look after fish? not any of those i would have thought,im amazed that we can actually go fishing without some interfereing busybody poking their beak in,as you can tell i find it quite offensive.Im a member of the trust but you and i both know a lot of the river angling in the southern half of the country is on its knees,im not convinced the trust,B.S.,or any other bu**er come to that,are or,can do anything to publicise/deal with this massive battle for angling.Give the money to McMillan cancer care mate,it'd do more good for anglers.

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Alan,

So what would you do ?

Have knowone dealing with Goverment or any other organisation that wants to put the oar in when it comes to angling ?

And it was the lads in the West Essex Specimen Group who taught me to fish and good fish care, over 50 yrs ago ?

I don't have a lot of time for many of the single specie groups ( I have been in many of them over the years) but I do think the Angling Trust can do some good Good for anglers if it they get the support and those who care get on the committee's and put your point of view !!

As I do ?

Bob

A

alan whittington

Bob,as i say im a member of the trust,i dont see the future being bright,ive seen it all before with other organisations and i can see that slippery slope,lets hope not Bob,but i feel its odds on.One thing that i would like to see is the trust being aggressive and trying to get the national press onside to attack the happenings on our rivers,as when i tell people who dont fish about the millions of litres of untreated sewage pumped into the Thames(and many other rivers),they dont believe because they dont see it in print,its just like the lack of filtration to remove the remnants of the contreceptive pill from womens urine in our sewage...they dont believe that either,along with many other items,the government will happily sweep them under the carpet(the cheap option),they might have more fear if the public at large knew the full story.

Last edited:

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Alan,

But that exactly the problem, Doom and Gloom.

There was and too some extent still is a battle for Power going on between the various groups who controlled angling.

At least with one body (Angling Trust) the battles are now in house and I can assure you and everyone else these are being sorted out (slowly).

It's a young organisation, it's going to take time, there are plenty of ego's about, but I honestly believe it is getting there and in time it will become a very strong organisation, representing all sections of angling and getting it's voice heard in the hallways of power.

The Angling Trust is slowly getting established as the organisation representing All Angling in this country.

John H and I go to meetings representing Specimen Fishing, we add our voices to the debates, we try to make our points known.

It's No good sitting on the side lines, saying it will never work, some of us are doing a little bit to make it work, others are doing a Great deal.

I think it will get there, at least I have tried in a small way to help it work.

Bob

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry Alan, but the Barbel Society doesn't tell anybody what to do, we do give advice though.

We also, unlike many of the other single species groups, put considerable sums of members money through our Research and Conservation Fund, into environmental/ river improvements and facilitating river improvements by other organisations.

Something that the ATr (or it's earlier self) doesn't do.

Just see this for one project currently nearing completion.

http://www.barbelsociety.co.uk/images/IanWatsonBF30.pdf

A

alan whittington

Bob,whether you like it or not,only a minute proportion of anglers,let alone members of the trust,are going to stand up and be counted,the trust are being backed to do it...not well enough at present,doom and gloom it may be,but if some drastic improvement isnt made in the next ten years or so,river angling in our neck of the woods will be finished,completely,or do you think differently?

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Fred,

Funny I thought you had a Code of Conduct for Barbel Fishing ?

Yes you do put money into research, but you as the Barbel Society are a very small organisation.

And I believe the BS should put aside the dispute with one of the previous organisations and join the Angling Trust.

But of course thats only my opinion, if all the Groups joined the Trust there would not be the " which is Best Threads " on sites like Fishing Magic.

Bob

A

alan whittington

I'm sorry Alan, but the Barbel Society doesn't tell anybody what to do, we do give advice though.

We also, unlike many of the other single species groups, put considerable sums of members money through our Research and Conservation Fund, into environmental/ river improvements and facilitating river improvements by other organisations.

Something that the ATr (or it's earlier self) doesn't do.

Just see this for one project currently nearing completion.

http://www.barbelsociety.co.uk/images/IanWatsonBF30.pdf

Im sorry ive not really put that into words correctly Fred,a general code is there for the care of barbel(which need looking after undoubtedly),but some anglers read these codes of conduct and treat them like an unwritten law and are abusive against those that dont follow their bible to the letter,even to the tackle that anglers choose to use,its a funny sport this fishing,where a beginner can read a publication,then turn round and say vehemently that another more experienced angler is fishing too light,i've seen it done many,many times,its gone on since time began though,anglers who caught loads of barbel on the Royalty in the early days were supposedly fishing too light in many cases..

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Bob,whether you like it or not,only a minute proportion of anglers,let alone members of the trust,are going to stand up and be counted,the trust are being backed to do it...not well enough at present,doom and gloom it may be,but if some drastic improvement isnt made in the next ten years or so,river angling in our neck of the woods will be finished,completely,or do you think differently?

Alan,

I believe you are correct about the rivers in our area, but being outside of the Trust, gives you No Voice.

And as I said in my previous post, it needs all the Groups to be in the Angling Trust to give their views on pollution, Otters, crayfish, Poaching and every other ill that is hitting our rivers.

Being outside of the Trust, critising is No Good at all.

You will only get change from within and it needs everyone who cares about the future state of our rivers to be involved.

The Trust is already in talks with lots of different goverment section over many different issues.

Specimen Angling is a long way down that list and need all the groups to talk to the Trust to get our points over to them and then to goverment.

Bob

A

alan whittington

Ive got to go to bed,its a work thing,but i must say this before i go,all the things you mention,that lead to the demise of our rivers,are not being attacked in one list by the trust,its no bloody use leaving one out because its politically exceptable,or taking one at a time and stating its individual adverse qualities,the whole shooting match,put up,or shut up,its no use whatsoever having a voice that nobody hears or listens to,all this from someone who's a paid up member and wants the trust to succeed,surely there's more than a little sense there somewhere,night all.:w