Outdoor Recreation Research

Michael Clark 3

Reaction score
Hi,

I work for the University of Gloucestershire (www.glos.ac.uk/ccru) and we are undertaking some research on behalf of the Countryside Council for Wales (http://www.ccw.gov.uk) which attempts to seek a greater understanding of why people use the countryside for recreation and the types of experiences they are seeking.

As part of the research we were hoping to get the views of people as to extent to which the ?experience? determines the types of activities they undertake.

Our idea was to instigate a discussion by putting forward a series of questions which should generate some views - please feel free to respond to, or discuss, the following:

1. For you personally, what specific elements of an angling session make it an enjoyable experience?

2. In your opinion, are there any factors that restrict anglers from having a good session/experience?

3. In your opinion, what factors do you think are influencing the development and growth of angling generally in Britain.

4. If you undertake other outdoor activities, what are they, and how does the overall "experience" compare with angling?

Thanks!

P.S Please be assured that the Forum name would not be named in our research and ALL responses would be quoted anonymously.

Kind regards,

Dr. Michael Clark

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Well, to get the ball rolling -

1: a - a healthy population, wild or lightly managed, of fish for which to angle;

b - a diverse but predominantly "natural" environment - both above and below the water-line.

c - a sense of security, in particular, that my car will still be safe when I return to it.

2: Hell is other people, particularly, in the predominantly parkland fisheries which I can easily reach, suburban dog-owners who think their unruly pets understand English and require no training. These social inadequates also ruin it for:
(a) all those not brought up around dogs and therefore apprehensive of uncontrolled ones;
(b) all who were hoping for some peace and quiet and
(c) all wild animals larger and more active than than snails .

The threat of attack from various groups - ALF, travellers, drug addicts, drunks and common thieves- doesn't help, either, as anglers tend to be solitary and heavily laden, though this applies more in urban/suburban areas than rural ones.

3: The growth of commercial fisheries and heavy advertising are producing a perceived growth in carp fishing, and the appalling standard to which television has sunk is driving people to seek outdoor entertainment in all but the harshest weather, but one hears of a dearth of youngsters entering the sport. A "School Gate" campaign, educating parents to the benefits of angling, would boost recruitment, but angling seems to lack the organisation to fund and arrange this.

4: I tried sailing and canoeing - both fun while learning the basics, but boring thereafter; cycle touring - too many cars; and scuba diving - expensive. None compares with the quietude, excitement, exhilaration, dejection and joy that one can experience in a day's fishing.
Scuba diving comes closest, but at a price quite beyond my means!

Joskin

Reaction score
For me angling is an enjoyable experience as I like to get away from the stress and strain of everyday life and enjoy time away from the concrete jungle that we now live in. You just cant beat being in the natural countryside where invariably you will be on your own and "at one with nature".

The experience can be ruined by the presence of certain other people such as dog walkers and water users such as boaters. Often litter that has been left behind by inconsiderate others can also ruin a pleasant days fishing.

I also believe that the ever increasing commercial fisheries are responsible for introducing new comers to the sport due the their heavy stocking policy's. An angler can introduce a friend to the sport knowing that the friend will be almost guaranteed to catch with very little experience or skill needed to catch a few fish of a decent stamp on their very first session.

I also go shooting and Scuba diving on a regular basis. I find both of these hobbies just as enjoyable an experience as fishing. They both put me in a similar situation as when I go fishing in that I am "at one with nature" and can be alone and get away from everyday life.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

1. Peacefullness and "Natural" suroundngs. Wildlife and one or two fish.

2. Undesirables which includes fish thieves, hooligans, and Eastern Europeans pretending they do not know the laws. Anybody who does not respect the countryside and all it can offer. Lack of licence checks and enforcement.

3. I am not sure that they are anymore, not to a large extent anyway. Most probably comercials and Angling websites like this one promote the sport the most.

4. Walking, which only comes second to angling.
I much prefer to stay in one area and take in the imediate surroundings and wildlife.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Michael.
Although we have answered the questions as fairly as we could. And there seems no harm in the questions asked, why do I get the feeling that our answers could possibly be used against angling?

Maybe I am getting the countryside Council confused with another similar sounding name?

Joskin

Reaction score
Glad its not just me Baz I was thinking the same thing.

Its just the sort of thing you would expect from PETA or similar anti field sports groups.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
C

Chris Bishop

1. For you personally, what specific elements of an angling session make it an enjoyable experience?

I have a very stressful, deadline-driven job and fishing is the perfect antidote.

I only fish for pike and catching a large one is probably the epitome of enjoyable day.

Other than that, I enjoy learning about the rivers I fish, how the fish respond to different weather patterns and the changing seasons.

I also love the wildlife and the way that fishing brings you very close to nature. I have seen an otter at very close quarters and an osprey in recent seasons.

2. In your opinion, are there any factors that restrict anglers from having a good session/experience?

In my case, no because I am fortunate to fish waters which are off the beaten track.

In more populous areas there are growing concerns about fish being taken for the pot by immigrants.

3. In your opinion, what factors do you think are influencing the development and growth of angling generally in Britain.

Anglers are probably becoming older as fewer kids take up the sport. The Environment Agency's efforts to get people to take up fishing are mis-targetted.

4. If you undertake other outdoor activities, what are they, and how does the overall "experience" compare with angling?

I don't need to. Fishing ticks all the boxes for me.

posh chav

Reaction score
Michael

Since I took up the ?gentle art? my paranoia has abated enough for me to answer questions (LOL!)

Well it would have to be exposing myself to the big outdoors, I believe that while our lives have been made immeasurably better by living in cities, its essential to re-connect with mother nature. In Sweden the ideal is referred to as Allemansr?tt.
"Do not disturb - do not destroy?, the right to get up close and personal with mother nature, and the responsibility to behave in such a way that others will be able to enjoy such encounters in the future." Fishing is a great way to start doing that.

Litter, litter and yet more litter.

If you were to consider taking up fishing and you visited even the best of the fishing websites, you?d be forgiven for thinking that a day spent fishing would be a day spent in the company of xenophobic racists ? read the crap they come out with!
The bleating about Eastern Europeans, the use of expressions like ?every Tom **** and Ahmed? can only give the impression of a bunch of saddos, sulking by the water plotting their next hate fuelled outburst. Just the sort of thing I?d like to introduce my kids to.

1. The ludicrous price of kit in the UK. Visit Walmart or any fishing store in the USA, much less than half price.
2. The crap service offered to newbie?s by 99% of fishing shops.
How dare they not know ? and then have the brass neck to come into my shop asking questions!!!
3. The hilarious way ?the class divide? is ever present ? all over the world regular people use fly tackle to catch fish and its no big deal - just another way to catch fish. Only here in the uk is one form of fishing ?elitist? and another for ?everyman?.
4. The hypocritical way catch and release is seen as the only way. The current calls for a pike cull are an obvious example, my current Italian cookbooks (and traditional English ones) are full of recipes for pike and eels but British fishermen would rather leave them on the bank. Upsetting the balance of nature and missing out on a delicacy.

Camping, shooting (clays and for the pot), boating is fun too. But they?re mostly things to do socially where as much of the pleasure of fishing is that it is something to do in isolation. I work with other people, I live with very noisy people (my kids) fishing is like emptying the cache / pressing re-set, it helps me start again with a clear head.

Hope this is a help

W

Wolfman Woody

"1. For you personally, what specific elements of an angling session make it an enjoyable experience?"

Being out of doors amongst nature and experiencing life all around in it's daily struggle to survive. To catch a living creature that I can't normally see, study and record it and then release it back to it's environment is the biggest kick of all. Sex doesn't come close!

The ever increasing threat of removal of fishing rights whether from anti-anglers via ligislation or landowners removing permissions. Noisy and uncaring people who cannot respect their environment and despoil it with litter.

a) Commercial fisheries make it easier to teach newcomers
b) a lack of information and help from local tackle shops get in the way.
c) Fishing should be included as a sport at school for those wishing to take part. I know one such school that has 14 youngsters in an evening club. They learn respect for the counrtyside.

I enjoy walking and take part in looking after local woodlands, but to really bond with nature you have to remain quiet and sit absolutely still for some time. Nature will then come to you.

Michael Clark 3

Reaction score
Many thanks for all the interesting responses. Can I assure all of you that there are no covert objectives in this research or the questions. CCW is a government (Welsh Assembly) organisation. We are approaching many "outdoor activity" forums as part of this research and are trying to get a feel for the experiental elements that motivate people to do what they do.

Hope that clears up any concerns.

Regards,

Michael

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Locations, being out in the open air, day or night and actively thinking about something other than the normal routines. The sheer pleasure of fishing and not necessarily "catching". All the above and more preferably in the company of liked minded people.

Lack of respect for the environment be that natural, managed or man made.

Average age of anglers appears to be older and older. Not enough opportunities promoted/created for the younger generation to at least try the sport.

Occassionally golf but nothing compares with a good days fishing.

keora

Reaction score
Pleasant rural surroundings
Few or no other anglers fishing
Catch a few fish !

Bad weather
Unexpected floods on arrival
Pollution and abstraction
Heavy traffic on journey to/from fishing
Reduction in fish stocks on some waters by excessive cormorant predation

Commercial fisheries with high stocking densities of fish
Fishing is not seen as a fashionable interest by young people
Fishing tackle is much cheaper than it used to be
Lack of good public transport for access to rural fisheries if you don't have a car

Occasionally hiking and landscape painting/drawing but they are a different kettle of fish.