Lapsed Match Angler

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester
  • Start date
D

Danny Lancaster

Paul,

In a way, I can see were you're coming from, but I put this to you. You say "what better ammunition could they want?" How about the sheer fact that we as anglers strike a sharp piece of steel into their mouths everytime we go out fishing? When you go off on one, especially on a public forum such as this, you HAVE to be careful and think about what your typing. You refer to those "unfortunate traumatised Carp" yet we as anglers are constantly having to defend the science that fish dont feel pain, emotion or similar. Lets not get confused about this, it would be hypocritical in my opinion to think that we are a sport of Dr Doolittle's. Conservationists, the "eyes and ears" of the nations Watercourses, yes. But at the end of the day it is we who stick hooks into fishes mouths and we cannot forget that.

Like I said I can agree with your points about overstocking and to an extent, the fact a lot of people only fish commercials competitively, but please, the best ammunition you can give to the anti's is to start going down the "poor unfortunate fish" route.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I agree with some of your points Paul!

But there are many many anglers who only know and want to fish "commercials". There are good and bad, a subject that has had considerable coverage on this forum. I believe GV and Willinghurst are good, well run fisheries and provide a "product" and environment that is obviously in demand. I'm sure they have their faults but so do many others.

I personally will not be getting back to the matchworld in anywhere near the way I did back in 1970/1980 but will fish some matches at club level. I'll also match fish a few commercial venues!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Gents, some good points have been made but Danny is absolutely right about not shoooting ourselves in the foot with loose talk and phrases. This thread was about Neil's return to match fishing-probably my fault its gone off course by refering to the overstocking issue of the venue he fished-but let's not turn this thread into another Commercial fishery bashing thread. Its been done to death recently.