6lb Chub

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
I have seen people with chub saying its this weigt or the other and i know its not
The Upper Witham chub took the shape of the shallow water and looked four pound and weighed two,i only ever had one over 5lb from this river and it was lower down in the deeper water at North Hykeham.
I do know thw Swale can produce big chub because i have caught them and mile for mile it has to be the best chub river in England(could be my northern bias coming out)
I took both Mike Townsend and Mike Howson to a stretch of this river which Sean knows the area im talking about and they both had PB.
My biggest problem is if i can catch a lot on the float i will do so,maybe its a lack of discipline on my part that if i see a swim that i can shove a float through i cannot help but do it.
Too set in my ways and maybe that 6lb chub will evade me

Juan Villar 2

Reaction score
Over the last 4 seasons on the Colne I've had 4 6plus chub (honest!), the most recent being 6lb 5oz (PB) only a few weeks ago. I first weighed it on my own scales (Digi's) and then a friends and my friends scales actually read 6lb 9oz. I've had a fair few 5lb plus over the years aswell. From my experience, I'd have to say that the Colne through Hertforshire and Buckinghamshire have been the kindest to me, chub wise.

I have been tryin to upload the pic of me PB chub but the site will only let me upload a pic of 12kb or less. And its a Bitmap Image.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

John,

Are you saying that you can't catch big chub on the float or that to fish the float you tend to fish pegs where the big chub tend not to be?

If the former keep the faith.I tend to float fish 95% of the time these days and have had a fair few 5+ chub on caster or maggot and light line.

As you know you can get chub going crazy on loose fed maggot and caster whereby caution is thrown to the wind and I do not see why the same does not apply to the biggies.Just think how sweet that Yorkshire 6 on the float will be.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Nigel
I have had plenty of fives on the float and in one swim in particular on the Swale had up to 22 a session feeding like you say up to 6pts of maggots or caster.
When i say 22fish there might be about 3over 5lb and the reat between 3 to 4lb 12oz.
I have thought about just taking mashed bread and a loaf trotting flake to see if i can crack a six.I just dont think my name is on one

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
John, Most of my bigger Chub have fallen to break flake and mashed bread going in reasonably regularly. Once they decide to feed then you can have a real red letter day.

A touch of hemp or flavouring in the bread is not exactly 'harmful' either.

Good luck in your quest.

Y

yoggy

Float or quivertip for the bigger Chub???.For years my PB Chub remained at 4lb.10oz.I was a dedicated float fisherman.Quiver-tipping never really interested me.The Nene is my local river where 99% of my Chubbing is done.Not a renowned big Chub river.However reports of some big 5lb+ and even 6lb+ fish waved my decision to change over to the quivertip.Within a week of changing over i had managed three 5lb+ fish.My present PB now stands at at 5lb.12oz. Was this sheer luck?.To be honest i`m unsure.Whatever it was quiver-tipping has now become my prefered choice whenever i go in search of Chub.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Alain Urritty the photographer and writer once asked me to go to the Thames near Oxford to this place he knew and said there was huge chub in this area.
Alain is no mean angler but the journey was too long for me so i did not go(wished i had now)

captain carrott

Reaction score
well go then john because the chub are now even bigger.
i can pass on the details of a holiday inn type place that does room for about 60 quid.

there is also a bnb but it's abit difficult to get into for about 30 quid per night.

and they are 5 minutes from the river.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
How much
CC is that ?30 for the week with meals in
Seriously it sounds good and believe it or not the Thames is one river i have never fished.

Dont know who emailed me(Rooney) with the info for the Upper Trent but thank you and i know the place well

clam

Reaction score
No problem John,i thought you might know the place.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Cheers Clam it was good of you and yes i fish it a lot just below the gravels,had some good barbel there and chub to around 4lb.
Its harder to fish than the lower river but a darn sight more rewarding

Steve Handley

Reaction score
John
If you want a 6lb chub try the middle Trent, they're in there!

Also, the chub in the Upper Witham are getting bigger, but scarcer. I've never had one over 5lb in 30 years of fishing the Witham, plenty of 4s up to 4lb 15oz (Gonna have to get them scales fixed) in the last couple of years but not a 5, yet! but there was a 5lb+ chub caught in a match at Long Bennington end of last season