6lb Chub

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
I was talking to Graham the other week as we where fishing the Upper Trent and Graham asked me where do you catch a 6lb chub at our end.
I mentioned the Dove but Graham said very unlikely and the only river i can think of is the Swale.
I am not talking catching one when barbel fishing on the Trent but where you could plan to catch one chub fishing.
I am certainly not talking the Dorset Stour or rivers in that area which are prolific for big chub.
My biggest chub is 5lb 12oz and although i have had quite a few fives ,hundreds of 4lb plus chub i have never caught a six mainly i think because i tend to use the float

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I think it all depends on the number of big fish John, if they are very thin on the ground then the chances are almost nil.

So if you do get your Six it will rate amongst the best in the Stour, on a percentage basis.

clam

Reaction score
I had my first 6lb plus chub last year of the trent and many back up 5s.It was of a DRAC water John,so they are in there.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

John, some of the biggest Throop chub are caught on light line/small hook float tactics in the winter when the weed has died back.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
I would love to go back to Throop Nigel,last time i fished it was 1961 but due to my wifes health cannot do any long journeys.
Peter Jacobs has kindly invited my wife and i to stay with him at his cottage by the Avon and i would love to go but wonder what my wife would be able to do while i fished.
Sounds a brilliant place and Peter is a great fellow.
Steve Spiller is going down and i have asked him to see if there are any pubs down there.
I am not a big drinker but like to take her out just to get her out of the house more to socialize than anything

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
John,
the offer is still open, anytime. right now the Avon is very high and coloured. yesterday we had Dace mainly - upto about 10 ounces.

Unless Nigel had bigger after i had to leave.

clam

Reaction score
Bread flake and mashed bread did the bussiness on a link ledger.Going to try openend feeder with mashed bread and flake on the hook this winter.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Great to see Peter back and dont go away Peter because we gave one bloke a good bollocking and rightly so

captain carrott

Reaction score
probably the est chance of a 6lb chub would be the thames round oxford, even i've had ne out of there.

it's much harder to catch a 3 than a 5 in there as i proved the other year, by catching far more big 4's and low 5's than fish of less than 4.

thee seems to be loads of fish around a pound but not much else till you get to 4 then.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Oi John, Steve DB will do!
They will all work out my nickname now!

;-)

Hopefully, we will get no more rain this week and it will be fining down nicely for next weekend, fingers crossed.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Peter, I did get a two pounder...

...chub that is.

Lots and lots of dace but no roach at all which is surprising given the conditions but if they aren't there you can't catch them.

I still think a 6lb chub is a hard capture.My best in several years of fairly intense winter chubbing on the Swale was like John's, a fish just short of 6lb.

I would say that your best chance would be a trip down to the Avon/Stour at the back end of the season John and hope the river conditions are good.The average size of Throop chub is very high but the 7+ fish are perhaps not a prolific as the press might suggest.Mark Wintle told me that quite a few are repeat captures.

S

Sean Meeghan

I think the Swale gives you your best chance of a 6 east of the Pennines, closely followed by the Wharfe. Like John my best Yokshire chub is 5lb 10oz, caught at the end of last season. On that day I caught 2 fish over 5lb and my mate Mick "Chubby" Beecroft caught 3 over 5lb with the best being 5lb 12oz. This bodes well for the possibility of a 6 later this season.

I've seen a few very big Chub on the Swale during the Summer months, including one I wouldn't like to put a weight to! The problem is locatiing these fish in the winter and then wading through the 5lbers to catch them!!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
John,

I have had two Chub at 5lb 15oz (weighed on 2 sets of scales) but never a 6 pounder. The back end of the season is best for the larger specimens, and I think that Nigel is right, the Avon or the Stour at the right time.

Monk,

Busy my friend, very busy!
It made a nice break to be back on the river at the weekend but my chosen swim was 'invaded' by a pack of bl00dy Swans (23 of them) that simply refused to move on. Every time I got the Dace back in-line the damn Swans moved back into the swim.

Nigel, your 2 pounder quote nearly gave me palpertations, you beggar! :)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
John: "i have never caught a six mainly i think because i tend to use the float."

No John, you haven't caught a six mainly because you're honest. You have a set of scales and weigh your fish.

Good to see you posting again Peter. Welcome back!

T

The Monk

swans Peter, bread soaked in nightnurse, works for me mate

nice to see you back

F

Fred Bonney

John I think the Trent's the place.
That one I caught the other day, will go 6 in a few months,I'm sure.