Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6lb Chub

I was talking to Graham the other week as we where fishing the Upper Trent and Graham asked me where do you catch a 6lb chub at our end.
    I mentioned the Dove but Graham said very unlikely and the only river i can think of is the Swale.
    I am not talking catching one when barbel fishing on the Trent but where you could plan to catch one chub fishing.
    I am certainly not talking the Dorset Stour or rivers in that area which are prolific for big chub.
    My biggest chub is 5lb 12oz and although i have had quite a few fives ,hundreds of 4lb plus chub i have never caught a six mainly i think because i tend to use the float

I think it all depends on the number of big fish John, if they are very thin on the ground then the chances are almost nil.

So if you do get your Six it will rate amongst the best in the Stour, on a percentage basis.

I had my first 6lb plus chub last year of the trent and many back up 5s.It was of a DRAC water John,so they are in there.

Might after stick at it Clam and give the barbel and float a miss
    Good fish by the way

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA) Guest

John, some of the biggest Throop chub are caught on light line/small hook float tactics in the winter when the weed has died back.

I would love to go back to Throop Nigel,last time i fished it was 1961 but due to my wifes health cannot do any long journeys.
    Peter Jacobs has kindly invited my wife and i to stay with him at his cottage by the Avon and i would love to go but wonder what my wife would be able to do while i fished.
    Sounds a brilliant place and Peter is a great fellow.
    Steve Spiller is going down and i have asked him to see if there are any pubs down there.
    I am not a big drinker but like to take her out just to get her out of the house more to socialize than anything

Blog Entries

John,
    the offer is still open, anytime. right now the Avon is very high and coloured. yesterday we had Dace mainly - upto about 10 ounces.

Unless Nigel had bigger after i had to leave.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Bread flake and mashed bread did the bussiness on a link ledger.Going to try openend feeder with mashed bread and flake on the hook this winter.

The Monk Guest

nice to see you back Peter, hows things mate

Great to see Peter back and dont go away Peter because we gave one bloke a good *******ing and rightly so

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast