Jeans and T shirt brigade

alex laurie

Reaction score
I have an army surplus camo goretex jacket cost around ?20. Also olive coloured salopettes again goretex and ?20.

I prefer to dress in subdued natural colours as I don't like to stand out like a sore thumb in the countryside. I use olive gear when hillwalking too, for the same reason.

The natural world shows us that movement is the thing which destroys any attempt at camouflage, so I doubt if my colour scheme catches me any more fish. After all, Bob Nudd still does ok with his white hat and bright red suit on!

W

Wolfman Woody

Dunno why you're all going on. I was feeding pellets to a shoal of about 3 dozen chub all between 2 and 5 lbs, me dressed in a bright blue shirt, shadow cast out over the water, and the fish were no more than a metre from my feet.

Mind you, if I'd have cast a float or baited hook amongst them ...........

Y

yoggy

Its amazing really.I`ve been wearing realtree gear for years.Long before anglers over here knew what the hell it was.I purchased most of my gear in the states over 24 years ago. I used it for my wildfowling.It also doubled up as my fishing attire.But now i`ve such a complex when wearing it i`ve stopped wearing it!!!!!!

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Dont have a complex Yoggy, wear it with pride, i went on the Trent yesterday and there where quite a few lads wearing it,me included.

I

Ian Cloke

Could someone remind me what Jan Porter used to wear, when he was match fishing???????

alex laurie

Reaction score
"Could someone remind me what Jan Porter used to wear, when he was match fishing???????"

Exactly Ian.

I agree that fish will come to eat food, whatever the angler is wearing.

Most of us will remember situations where the fish are feeding well in front of us, but at the same time can not fail to be aware of us.

Having said that,I tend to think that a stalking approach demands more subdued colours.

Or maybe I should just admit that I want to be Action Man.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

He did a lot of match fishing on the Trent. It wouldn't matter what he wore with the width of that place would it?

S

sash

It would if he were fishing on the stick / pole / bolo (as he often did despite raking it in on the feeder) though Baz according to those who believe it will scare fish. You will often see anglers on the Trent nowadays hammering in bivvy pegs etc which really, really makes me a) cringe and b) head off to a different stretch!

I spend most the summer in jeans or shorts and T shirt, admittedly a darkish one and never had problems stalking fish at close range if I've kept my movements slow and quiet.

I

Ian Cloke

I agree Baz, but he also fished canals in winter, lakes/ponds etc.... and framed more often than not ;-)

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I steer clear of noisy anglers myself Sash.
I don't think fishing close in is such a big problem concerning the colour of our clothing as long as we keep our movemements to a minimum.

There is also the refraction from the water from a fish's eye point of view.
I was watching three Carp very close in one day, so close that they probably couldn't see me.
Another group of Carp came into view about 10-15' further away from me, But I think because of the angle i was at on the bank, they spotted me imiediately and moved off.

L

Les Clark

Well they would move off Baz ,anybody who was being stalked by hitlers love child would sod off a bit smartish !

M

MarkTheSpark

I saw George Melly turned up to a pro-celeb trout match at Chew Valley wearing a bright yellow two-piece suit and a rather fetching purple fedora.

I don't think it matters what you wear as long as: you are comfortable; the fish aren't spooked; and you aren't arrested for wearing it, or perhaps not wearing it.

I was once sent a rather nice picture of a naked bloke on a Norfolk nudist beach with a good-sized codling. Or was it a codpiece....?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Due to refraction which creates a circular "window" that the fish can see out of, you can approach them quite closely in shallow water without them seeing you.

However watch out in deep clear water. The "window" becomes a lot bigger and see you they will, without you seeing them scurry off in fright due to the waters depth.

Personally I prefer to wear subdued colours when out fishing. I just don't like to inflict primary colours on the greens and browns of the countryside.

The Americans reckon that the best colour to wear when fishing from a boat is white!

captain carrott

Reaction score
The Americans reckon that the best colour to wear when fishing from a boat is white!

it should be battleship grey, think about it!