Time to go Metric?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see when rods stop having 12ft or whatever on them - that means AT's adverts too.

Has AT got a House style regarding metric, Greg?

Worth pointing out that both inches and pounds were metricated back in 1960. They were ever so slightly changed so that an inch is exactly 25.4mm not 25.399999 something as before. By my arguement these are also valid metric measurements!

Last time I was in Toronto the market there selling fish, meat etc was almost entirely showing signs in pounds yet Canada went metric in 1972.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I hate the metric system, easier to work with mathmatically I know. But I can visualise things in miles, pints and gallons, feet and inches, pounds and ounces. To gain any conception of weights or lengths involved I need it to be imperial.

Given a choice I would stick with imperial units.

If I was young and chatting a lass up on the phone and she gave me all her vital statistics in metric units I would have no idea if she was like Dawn French or Twiggy unless I sat down and converted all the figures.

captain carrott

Reaction score
"To gain any conception of weights or lengths involved I need it to be imperial."

this is because you are one of the ancient dinosaurs who frequent this forum.

"If I was young and chatting a lass up on the phone and she gave me all her vital statistics in metric units I would have no idea if she was like Dawn French or Twiggy unless I sat down and converted all the figures. "

but his age would mean that by the time he'd worked them all out on his abacus, he'd have forgotten why he was doing it and have to go and have a little afternnon nap.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
You young 'whipper snapper' Carrott, no respect for your elders.

If I am an ancient dinosaur at 51, 'God help' Ron, Ed and Graham etc.

Please keep to fishing line in lbs breaking stain, line by the mm means absolutely nothing to me, might as well 'prattle' on about calculus.