Time to go Metric?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I read yesterday that the EU want the UK to get rid of all imperial measurements on goods including manuals within about three/four years. We buy poles on metres, groundbait in kilos, line in 1/100 of mm yet still talk about nine feet of water or 6lb chub.

If that ruling comes to pass you won't be able to buy a set of scales in lbs/ozs.

So should we go fully metric in angling sooner rather than later?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally I really hope not.

I believe that there is room enough in our sport for both Imperial and Metric measurements, much as is currently in use.
As Mark correctly says, poles are measured in metres and groundbait in kilos, but we still record our catches in pounds, ounces and drams.

After all said and done, we might buy our wood in metre lengths but it is still measured in inches, right?
I'll take 3 metres of four by two??????

As Michael says, a 0.9 kilo Roach just isn't the same.

There is room enough for 'progress' in our chosen sport, but surely not just for the sake of 'progressing'

Beecy

Reaction score
it may be called four by two but it probably measures 100mm x 50mm

Same as tiles, they are sold as 6" x 6", but are actualy 150mm x 150mm.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The so called "barriers" - double figure barbel, 2lb roach etc are arbitrary anyway. We would soon adopt appropriate ones like kilo roach, 5 kilo barbel, 3 kilo chub etc. What this ruling may do is stop us buying scales in pounds, rods in feet. bait s meant to be sold in litres but I bet most of us still buy it in pints!

Believe me it is hard work writing technique articles when there is such a mish mash of units eg fishing at 11 metres, nine feet deep with 0.12mm mainline, 0.10mm hooklink, catching 4 ounce roach. And not everyone is being taught imperial now so a 15 year old reading the above might be puzzled - any 15 year olds like to comment?

So is this an age/generation thing?

Most matches are still weighed in lbs/oz but not all by a long way.

I've been told never let a kitchen fitter near your house if they still work in imperial as all units are in mm...

J

Jaffa

One of my local clubs has used Metric for over twenty years with no problems.

My view is it works well in Matches but not so well for the Specimen anglers.

I was only taught Metric at school and the next generation of Anglers will only know Metric.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
The brewery business work in multiples of 9!! 9 Gallons = Firkin, 18 = Kiln, etc etc. God help the EU if they try and change that.

As Mark says, parts of our sport are already "metric" but other parts are not. I think it is a generation thing but like the Pound Sterling, there are plenty of people, young and old, ready to tell "Brussells" where to go!

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
If it does change it wont happen for a generation. Old farts like me will still think in both mediums, and do a quick conversion.
Funnily enough we seem content to accept measurement in millimetres and metres but when referring to the human frame (or fish) we are still 6ft 2 ins tall, 15 stone 10 lbs in weight! Whats more my car does 28 miles to the gallon.
Yet my pole measures 14m , my line is 0.12, and I put in 2kg of groundbait in my swim, but then follow it with a pint of casters and a pint of hemp!
Old habits die hard and the change will only be fully implemented when my generation of mid fifties kicks the bucket to leave all the metric thinkers running the show.
Wonder what they will make of the record books in 20 years time. How big is a 4lbs 9 ozs roach Grandad?

Maesknoll

Reaction score
Poles may be measured in metres, but most rod lengths are still given in feet.

I find it much easier to visualise depths, weights and quantities in imperial measurements - ( although litres of beer sound appealing :) )

A fishing report of a nice net of roach saying, " and I ended with a net full of red finned beauties, ranging from 4 - 12 oz" just sound so much better than " and I ended with a net full of red finned beauties, ranging from 100 - 300grams".

So no, I'm not in favour of being forced into doing away with imperial measurement.

P

Phil Heaton

If the ruling is from Brussels bugger what its about........we don't want it.
The French would have riots in the street if brussels told then the new units of measurement would be pounds and ounces and get away with it by the way.
There is nothing wrong with us, the British keeping our identity or is that no longer politically correct along with waving a Union Jack or heaven forbid aSt. Georges cross

honslow

Reaction score
It's just the Huns and the garlic munchers snidely doing us over through the back door - cos they never managed it on the field of battle! Sorry if that offends anyone, but I'm a student of military history and think we should never forget the sacrifices future generations made to beat back Europe's other great powers.
The EU is a slow rot eating away at British-ness. If, in a few year's time, I can't buy scales that read in pounds and ounces I'll just get some bespoke ones made by a traditionalist who's willing to break Europe's naff rules!!!
Fish are weighed in lb, oz and dr - and they always will be! See the EU try and force AT into reporting weights in Metric... comedy!

matt

Reaction score
Nooooo

kicking and screaming

2lb roach
3lb perch
30lb catfish, carp, pike.
6lb chub
10lb barbel
2oz gudgeon
3lb grayling
5lb eel
10lb tench

It will Always be that way for me in England

(salutes and sings land of hope and glory)

B

Bill Cox

somehow catching a 13.6 kilogram Carp won't have the same feel to it. SAVE OUR LB tell brussels to stuff the Kg where it will do most damage.