Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I read yesterday that the EU want the UK to get rid of all imperial measurements on goods including manuals within about three/four years. We buy poles on metres, groundbait in kilos, line in 1/100 of mm yet still talk about nine feet of water or 6lb chub.

If that ruling comes to pass you won't be able to buy a set of scales in lbs/ozs.

So should we go fully metric in angling sooner rather than later?

2. Default

No
    A .9something or other kilo roach isn't the same.

Blog Entries

Personally I really hope not.

I believe that there is room enough in our sport for both Imperial and Metric measurements, much as is currently in use.
    As Mark correctly says, poles are measured in metres and groundbait in kilos, but we still record our catches in pounds, ounces and drams.

After all said and done, we might buy our wood in metre lengths but it is still measured in inches, right?
    I'll take 3 metres of four by two??????

As Michael says, a 0.9 kilo Roach just isn't the same.

There is room enough for 'progress' in our chosen sport, but surely not just for the sake of 'progressing'

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

it may be called four by two but it probably measures 100mm x 50mm

Same as tiles, they are sold as 6" x 6", but are actualy 150mm x 150mm.

5. Default

A double figure barbel or bream would be almost impossible to catch.

not if you weigh in grams, or newtons.

The so called "barriers" - double figure barbel, 2lb roach etc are arbitrary anyway. We would soon adopt appropriate ones like kilo roach, 5 kilo barbel, 3 kilo chub etc. What this ruling may do is stop us buying scales in pounds, rods in feet. bait s meant to be sold in litres but I bet most of us still buy it in pints!

Believe me it is hard work writing technique articles when there is such a mish mash of units eg fishing at 11 metres, nine feet deep with 0.12mm mainline, 0.10mm hooklink, catching 4 ounce roach. And not everyone is being taught imperial now so a 15 year old reading the above might be puzzled - any 15 year olds like to comment?

So is this an age/generation thing?

Most matches are still weighed in lbs/oz but not all by a long way.

I've been told never let a kitchen fitter near your house if they still work in imperial as all units are in mm...

Jaffa Guest

One of my local clubs has used Metric for over twenty years with no problems.

My view is it works well in Matches but not so well for the Specimen anglers.

I was only taught Metric at school and the next generation of Anglers will only know Metric.

Les Clark Guest

Where have you been hiding Jaffa ?
    Long time no see .

No way, nobody tells me what to do!

Well they do but not for long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast