Buying a c.pin.

• Thread starter alan whittington
  • Start date
A

alan whittington

Im awfully tempted to buy an adcock-stanton pin,i must have more money than the bank says,what do you reckon?I'll probably talk myself out of it.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
What draws you to an Adcock Alan? A nice reel, but a little over priced in my opinion. Some of them come without a check, so take care :eek:. If you want a ball bearing pin have a play with some of the Okuma models.

Personally I prefer plain bearing pins such as the Match Aerials and Rapidex/Trudex, but I do tend to fish fairly fast flowing rivers. I know you fish that long pond known as the Thames.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love the stanton reels, well the older one's. I can't comment on the latest version but they do look very very nice.
I think George Lockhart has one (the latest model) so he'd be worth contacting for an opinion if it one of the later models your looking at.
Like Sean i do heve a soft spot for a true pin but they all have their good points for me :).

guest61

Reaction score
Im awfully tempted to buy an adcock-stanton pin,i must have more money than the bank says,what do you reckon?I'll probably talk myself out of it.

If its something that you want - buy it, if you use a centre pin or have used a centre pin in the past even better. The only caveat that I'd add is they can take some getting used to if you're new to them.

Mark

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I have one of the older models, a nice reel and one I caught plenty of Barbel on whilst trotting the R. Lea.

But no Ratched and No Line Guard, both items I prefere to have as an option.

Lots of other makes out there which have these options.

Bob

wdd1200

Reaction score
If you intend to use it for float fishing rivers you will have a job bettering The Okuma Sheffield, not a true pin (that's all nonsense anyway either it runs free enough or it doesn’t).
I have owned just about every make and model at one time or another, most of the true pins do not run freely enough for me, so I got rid, but the Okuma Sheffield has consistent quality control and spares are interchangeable and available.
Design is not too bad, although in an ideal world I would prefer circular openings (so that I can insert a finger and wind the reel like that) in the spool rather than the tear drop shape which does nothing for the performance.
Colour is a little garish but I think they are now available in black as well.
If you insist on a line guard the Kennet has one but is (I think) bit more money.
The main advantage is in the reels performance, they are very free running and you can trot with the lightest of floats in low flow conditions and the reel will still pay off line with no assistance.
As I said I have owned them all at one time or another, the only other reel I would enthuse about is the Speedia , these can be excellent if you can get a good one, but they are becoming harder to get.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you intend to use it for float fishing rivers you will have a job bettering The Okuma Sheffield, not a true pin (that's all nonsense anyway either it runs free enough or it doesn’t).
I have owned just about every make and model at one time or another, most of the true pins do not run freely enough for me, so I got rid, but the Okuma Sheffield has consistent quality control and spares are interchangeable and available.
Design is not too bad, although in an ideal world I would prefer circular openings (so that I can insert a finger and wind the reel like that) in the spool rather than the tear drop shape which does nothing for the performance.
If you insist on a line guard the Kennet has one but is (I think) bit more money.
The main advantage is in the reels performance, they are very free running and you can trot with the lightest of floats in low flow conditions and the reel will still pay off line with no assistance.
As I said I have owned them all at one time or another, the only other reel I would enthuse about is the Speedia , these can be excellent if you can get a good one, but they are becoming harder to get.

The difference in a bearing pin such as the okuma's and a true pin is the fact that a bearing reel will often overun much easier than a true pin on the trott or when wallise casting if your not carefull. I have quite a few pin's myself and by far the best to use (funny enough is one of the most expensive) is a Chris Lythe. Most of my true pins give line just as easily as my bearing reels but they must be held horizontal to work at their best in a light flow.
Between the okuma's and the stantons my personal preference is a hundred percent for the Stantons :D.

Fred Blake

Reaction score

Whilst I agree in the main that ball-race reels are more free-running, it's not always the case. I have yet to find a ball-race reel that has a lower inertia than my 1930s Aerial Popular, which responds to the lightest of floats and currents. Mind you, it has had eighty years of running in!

Furthermore, a true pin is better for Wallis casting, as the drum speed responds more naturally to the flow of line; ball-race pins tend to need more start up energy, which can lead to snatchy casting, and they don't slow down as quick once the pull of the line diminishes, leading to overruns.

Neither is insurmountable, and a skilled Wallis caster can adapt quickly to a ball-race reel, but the true centrepin is, in my opinion, better - provided it's a good one. You can buy good ball-race reels off the shelf these days, for sums far lower than the cost of a new centrepin, and buying a second hand one requires the chance to handle it first and assess its capabilities; merely quoting this or that model is meaningless. I've seen some terrible aerials offered at high prices, yet it's possible to get a superb reel for very little. Speedias are very trendy at the moment, and are becoming harder to source in good condition for under £100. Rapidex and Trudex types are not always free-running enough for trotting. Don't ignore lesser makes; I once bought a Strikeright Ultraflow for £8 and it was superb; the only reel in my centrepin collection that was more free-running being the aforementioned Aerial Popular.

Edit; above post beat me to it!

flightliner

Reaction score
I still have my Trudex that I had as a young teenager and once in a while it gets an outing for old times sake, it is still "mint" -well- almost, but when I was nineteen I was accepted into a group of match anglers who at the time were fishing in the old "eastern region winter league" who almost to a man used the stanton reel especially on the Trent even tho the time was near for the takeover of the fixed spool reel such as the mitchell.
That said however I simply had to get one for myself as the guys using them were simply superb in there use-- a joy to watch.
I obtained mine after many monthes of waiting and paid the princely sum of £2-14/0-- I have used it over the years and it is still as good as new other than a shiney bit on the backplate where my finger rests. Its main advantage for me is its weight as when "batting back" a float on the Trent it gets back a little quicker then many other lighter reels. I wouldnt change it for any other reel and I know others feel the same way of the ones they possess-- its a very personal thing, but alan, if you fancy one all I can say is it wont let you down.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
How about an original Hardy Conquest, still quite cheap, spin well, light, you can take the Line Guard off if you wish and a decent ratchet ?

I got one an immaculate one for £70.00 a few weeks ago.

Bob

A

alan whittington

Sean,ive got a match aerial in excellent nick,but you know how it is,one is not enough,and i dont like buying rubbish,i should have bought the speedia Mark Todd offered me,but i was too hesitant(not a tighta*se),especially at the price Mark was selling at,Ray Clarke has it now.

A

alan whittington

I have returned,i hope your walking better,after all its all of two weeks since this problem was brought up.

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i have a hit and miss relationship with stanton reels ,i likes the vintage harry reynolds origanal stantons (i have a rare 4" one) after all they was made in ilkeston (as harry worked at the stanton ironworks on the outskirts of the town)

DSC00626.jpg

DSC00628.jpg

and i've a fondness for my 5" rolls royce built stanton ,must have i sold it ,then traded it back .i just don't seem too get on with cliffs stanton or the new version ,i don't know if its a weight thing or a balance thing but i just don't get on with them.

the stantons are a very robust reel capable of withstanding a lot of abuse barring the new fancy versions ,stantons ain't the prettiest of reels more function over form really ,and they do whats expected of them and won't let you down .

the new stantons are very pretty but rather expensive ,but what price do you put your pleasure .if you like them then buy one afterall its you whos got too use it .

soak

Reaction score

Unless you are an experienced centrepin user, I would suggest you start with a much cheaper centrepin, just in case you cant get on with centrepin fishing, because it would be a lot of money to spend on an off chance of you mastering and liking centrepin fishing. Should you be an experienced pin user its your money so spend it as you fancy. Nice reels but like a fair few in the cult ranges very overpriced for the product.

A

alan whittington

Ive fished with a pin for over 25 years,any good at it,nah,but i need to improve,give me a hand to peel my banana Pirate.