Angling Times - is there too much news in it?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Why Aye Man - a common exclaimation by people from Geordie Land and the very north of Yorkshire.

Only if they are escapees, or the offspring of escapees, from a bit further north.;)

And what was Why-eye " Morra " ?

Bob,
it's "Marra" which pretty much means mate. That makes the phrase, in a nutshell, "yes, mate". Marra actually originates from Cumbria.

Simon K

Reaction score
The whole point is that this magazine is written in proper English in a part of England where we don't use idiotic words such as "Aintcha", we don't add a non-existant "R" to words like "Drawing" - "Drawring", and we know how to pronounce our THs.

:p:p:p

A nation divided by a common language.

You pronounce your "THs" t'

Cassel for Carstle

Grass for Grarse

n Gawd knows wot else.

How about Featherstone-Haugh? :D

Proper English, innit. ;)

Mind you, Damn good cricketers, as the Major might say to Basil. :)

dezza

Reaction score
nation divided by a common language.

You pronounce your "THs" t'

Cassel for Carstle

Grass for Grarse

n Gawd knows wot else.

How about Featherstone-Haugh?

Proper English, innit.

Mind you, Damn good cricketers, as the Major might say to Basil.

Starting at the top:

I don't. Perhaps Irish people might say tings, we say things and you say fings.

There are more English speakers in the world who say Cassel.

There are more English speakers in the world that say Grass

Fanshaw is a case of the aristocracy doing it wrong.

Innit!!!

When my son lived in London he used to call Poms, Innits!

:)

dezza

Reaction score
It's been said that at the time of Shakespeare, the best speakers of the English language had a slight Brummie accent. Certainly it is likely that this is how Shakespeare spoke.

What is termed the "upper class accent" developed in England at the time of Henry VIII and was based a great deal on French. Shakespeare was a champion of the English language and a great admirer of the Germanic and Norse peoples who settled the northern part of England. He based some of his plays on those people, eg: Macbeth and Hamlet.

Simon K

Reaction score
And all this has exactly what relevance to the news content of Angling Times?:wh

Well, with a slight detour through language and accents, I think we've decided the AT should now put it's articles out in various regional dialects in either the form of a collection of Sonnets, or possibly a Tragedy. :)

The People have spoken?

plattsy

Reaction score
Originally from Sheffield, now living in Surrey I get my parents to send me the Angling Star. Love the less commercial and (dare I say it) working class feel of it compared to the other two mentioned. Also whilst agreeing that the use of internet sites is replacing mags and papers I still need this format as the wife won't let me take the laptop to the toilet!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Originally from Sheffield, now living in Surrey I get my parents to send me the Angling Star. Love the less commercial and (dare I say it) working class feel of it compared to the other two mentioned. Also whilst agreeing that the use of internet sites is replacing mags and papers I still need this format as the wife won't let me take the laptop to the toilet!
]

plattsy

Could you explain ?

I thought AT and AM were fairly working class !!

:confused:

Bob

plattsy

Reaction score
Bob

May not have used the right words to explain the feel I get from the paper. It just seems to be written by anglers I can relate to rarther than 'professionals' promoting their products. I also like C.A.T. for the same reason.

Sorry for any confusion and definately not trying to upset anyone with my comment, probably struggling to put my point accross due to limited descriptive writing ability.

B

Berty

Bob

May not have used the right words to explain the feel I get from the paper. It just seems to be written by anglers I can relate to rarther than 'professionals' promoting their products. I also like C.A.T. for the same reason.

Sorry for any confusion and definately not trying to upset anyone with my comment, probably struggling to put my point accross due to limited descriptive writing ability.

I agree 100% with that.....a lot of material nowadays has very litle to do with fishing and more to do with professionals either promoting themselves or products......CAT lets ideas shine through.

There are some exelent articles hidden away on this site......from earlier days of course ;)

I hope the site lets "newcommers" shine and never turns into the farce of "some" failed alleged fishing "papers"

bails

Reaction score
I'm a newcomer to this site and find it quite welcoming. I've mentioned on other posts I've only just got back into fishing and with this I am therefore not the best. The angling press is OK, but I find sites like this to be good to ask for specific advice, for debate etc...all in all much better than the reading stuff from pro anglers in the paper copies.

It can be good to just read some posts without even contributing.

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
And all this has exactly what relevance to the news content of Angling Times?:wh

Well, Shakespeare of course. It's a tackle company that does or at least used to advertise in the paper whereas 'Shakspere' (which is one of the twenty-odd recorded ways that old William spelt his own name) isn't.

However, there is considerable doubt among some accademics whether 'Wm' (another spelling used by the bard) actually wrote the plays and sonnets at all, not that I would subscribe to this theory, but the same accusation could be levelled at a number of those who 'write' or have 'written' in the press. I doubt it was any less prevalent in Ron's golden era than it is now. It was probably more so.

Ghosts are not confined to Hamlet, you see.

As for these wicked slurs on the Yorkshire tongue, well, Hamlet himself can answer for me:

Bring with thee airs from heaven or blasts from hell,
Be thy intents wicked or charitable,
:p

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Aww, nay lad:

That it should come to this!

or moreover to remember that,

Brevity is the soul of wit

(with appologies to Willum!)

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Of course it was Will Shakespeare who wrote all his stuff. Who else? He was years ahead of his time, and I doubt if anyone else could have had the imagination, wit and intelligence to write as he did.

"Whenne forrowf comme, they comme notte fingle fpies, butte in battalloinf".

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Of course it was Will Shakespeare who wrote all his stuff. Who else?

Well, the conspiracy theories abound and include such people as: Bacon, Oxford and Marlowe, any or all of whom had the imagination, intelligence and the wit necessary . . . . . . .

The anti Stratfordians numbers swell annualy, and given the gaps in Shakespeare's private life they too fuel the theories.

I tend to favour the Shakespeare authorship as genuine, more due to desire than actual proof.

Of course, it is not obligatory for one to take sides in the argument.

Last edited:

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Once upon a raw and gusty day
T' troubled Trent were chafing at 'er shores.
Somewhere near peg 1A, Bob Roberts sed t'me,
"Durst tha Meeghan leap wi me inta yonder flood?"
Upon the word, accoutred as ah wus
Ah leaped in and bade im follow,
As indeed 'e did. Ere long ee creed aht
"'Elp me Meeghan ere ah sink!"
And ah 'ad to 'aul im aht.
And this man is nah a god
And writes in Angling times an stuff

Sorry Bob!:w

Think I'll get a sponsorship deal from Shakespeare?

Last edited: