Angling Times - is there too much news in it?

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
If I may offer another quote from Wm., sir, in reply to your ode:

'Better a witty fool than a foolish wit'

Or perhaps,

'Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them'

:wh

If anyone would wish to learn a little more about the bard, try Bill Bryson's 'All The World's A Stage'. It gives a fascinating insight into what little we do actually know about Mr. Shakspere without ever getting remotely dry or dull. Indeed listened to it on my iPod only last week (audio book) and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Reaction score
Peter Jacobs said:
Well, the conspiracy theories abound and include such people as: Bacon, Oxford and Marlowe, any or all of whom had the imagination, intelligence and the wit necessary . . . . . . .

The anti Stratfordians numbers swell annualy, and given the gaps in Shakespeare's private life they too fuel the theories.

I tend to favour the Shakespeare authorship as genuine, more due to desire than actual proof.

Of course, it is not obligatory for one to take sides in the argument.

Peter

Ron knows this to be FACT - because he was there.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Well, Shakespeare of course. It's a tackle company that does or at least used to advertise in the paper whereas 'Shakspere' (which is one of the twenty-odd recorded ways that old William spelt his own name) isn't.

However, there is considerable doubt among some accademics whether 'Wm' (another spelling used by the bard) actually wrote the plays and sonnets at all, not that I would subscribe to this theory, but the same accusation could be levelled at a number of those who 'write' or have 'written' in the press. I doubt it was any less prevalent in Ron's golden era than it is now. It was probably more so.

Ghosts are not confined to Hamlet, you see.

As for these wicked slurs on the Yorkshire tongue, well, Hamlet himself can answer for me:

Bring with thee airs from heaven or blasts from hell,
Be thy intents wicked or charitable,
:p

Don't mention poxy Shakespeare to me!!!!! Had to do the flippin' Merchant of Redditch, summat about a pound of fish?, at school and it put me off for life, failed English Lit. as well, cos of the crummy set books, pah!

Shakespeare was actually a byline for Leonardo da Vinci, just one of his little jokes...

dezza

Reaction score
Oh I loved English Lit.

We did Macbeth, the play.

"Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd,

Thrice and once the hedgepig whined.
Harpier cries "Tis time tis time".

Round about the cauldron go,
In the poisoned entrails throw,
Toad that under cold stone,
Days and night hath thirty one,
Sweltered venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first 'i the charmed pot.

Double double toil and trouble,
Fire burn and cauldron Bubble

Fillet of a Fenny Snake,
In the cauldron boil and bake,
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blindworm's sting
Lizard's leg and owlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hellbroth boil and bubble.........."

Aye ye can't beat old Will for a vivid imagination!

Simon K

Reaction score
:D
Well, the conspiracy theories abound and include such people as: Bacon, Oxford and Marlowe, any or all of whom had the imagination, intelligence and the wit necessary . . . . . . .

The anti Stratfordians numbers swell annualy, and given the gaps in Shakespeare's private life they too fuel the theories.

I tend to favour the Shakespeare authorship as genuine, more due to desire than actual proof.

Of course, it is not obligatory for one to take sides in the argument.

I agree, Peter. Marlowe's life, for example, has now been given a reasonably comprehensive chronicling (inc. "The Reckoning" an excellent read) which, I think, discounts him. Likewise any others I suspect, if more data were unearthed.

Incidentally, is it Clay, Klay, Clae, Callay, Klee....................Ron?

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Incidentally, is it Clay, Klay, Clae, Callay, Klee....................Ron?

The origins of my name seems to be Norman French - Clee, as per Cleethorpes in Lincolnshire.

Although some say it's Norse - Klei. There is an Afrikaans word for soil or the earth that is spelt Klei, and Afrikaans is a Germanic language ie from the Saxons.