Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Angling Times - is there too much news in it?

Last January, Angling Times altered its layout - it dropped most of the articles writtten by regular contributors, such as Des Taylor and Neville Fickling, and increased the proportion of news items. The editor, Richard Lee explained elsewhere in this forum that he wanted the AT to be news oriented.

Seven months on, in my view the AT has become less interesting. The many short news items are tedious to read. The main columnists writing about fishing techniques, Steve Ringer and Martin Bowler, are getting a bit repetitive.

I've taken the AT for many years. This week I bought the Anglers Mail for comparison. The Mail nowadays is more readable than the AT, and its layout and design is far more appealing.

I'd be interested to know if AT sales increased after its update.

What do forum members think of the AT these days ?
    Last edited by keora; 12-08-2011 at 06:55.

Default Re: Angling Times - is there too much news in it?

havent purchased it for ages, my son buys it sometimes but i find it boring, same old thing, i think the mail is marginally better.
    i think thats what they called me.

Sometimes, a copy of the "Angling Star" gets as far south as Norfolk at the same time as I get that far north.
    A much better paper than the best bits of the others put together, with the regular journos talking in depth to the anglers who are doing conspicuously well at the time, rather than just rewrite the same stuff they wrote last year - or forty years ago.
    I wish it would go national!

Bladdy Norverners don't know they're born....Luxury!!!

I used to read it as a youngster when the articles were good and you would learn a great deal.
    Now it just seems to be a showcase for stoic faced Carp boys, bragging about there latest "30".
    I don't buy it now.
    PaSC Failed Club

I've always found that I tend to buy periodicals when I'm a beginner/intermediate with lots to learn. Once I've managed to get a bit more experience under my belt my interest wanes. That's not to say there's nothing left to learn. However, I won't pay for a magazine to learn the odd gem amongst a load of stuff that's nothing new.

Since the advent and rise of the internet, I can see very little that they could print in the angling press that I can't get on-line, that includes news.
    Unless the Angling Times starts putting gold leaf inserts into its pages I'll not be buying it, or any other magazine, in a hurry.

6. Default Re: Angling Times - is there too much news in it?

Would be interesting to find out if their tactic of going more news-based has meant more or less sales....anyone know?

Din't Richard post on here once or twice - he may answer
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

I looked up the circulation figures before I posted. In the 12 months to March this year, average weekly sales of the Angling Times was 302,000 copies (11,000 less than the sales for the 12 months to March 2010). The Anglers Mail had weekly sales of 224,000 for the 12 months to March 2011 (11,000 more than the sales for the previous 12 months period). So the Times has been slowly losing readers, while the Mail has been slowly gaining.

I can't find more recent figures, so you can't tell if the new format AT, introduced only in mid January this year, has had any real effect on sales this year.

As for the Angling Star, I read it every month, it's Northern based, so for me it's more local. I think sometimes the articles aren't that polished, even though the advice in them is generally useful.
    Last edited by keora; 12-08-2011 at 13:42. Reason: Additional circlation figures added

As posted in an earlier thread, I haven't bought weekly angling mags for years so not able to comment.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Keith2 View Post
    I looked up the circulation figures before I posted. In the 12 months to March this year, average weekly sales of the Angling Times was 302,000 copies (11,000 less than the sales for the 12 months to March 2010). The Anglers Mail had weekly sales of 224,000 for the 12 months to March 2011 (11,000 more than the sales for the previous 12 months period). So the Times has been slowly losing readers, while the Mail has been slowly gaining.

I can't find more recent figures, so you can't tell if the new format AT, introduced only in mid January this year, has had any real effect on sales this year.

As for the Angling Star, I read it every month, it's Northern based, so for me it's more local. I think sometimes the articles aren't that polished, even though the advice in them is generally useful.
    I think it means the average weekly sales of AT are 302,000 divided by 52, which equals about 58,000 copies per week, which sounds about right.

I think the most they ever sold in a week was around 150,000, and that was many years ago, long before the internet came along.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast