Lower Bristol Avon Winter Fish-in.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I've been thinking about organising a Bristol Avon Fish-in.

It's free fishing, tidal, thirteen foot deep, slow and fairly wide (40 yards).

Chub up to 5lb, roach 2lb?, perch, dace, bream 6lb+ and very elusive carp and pike (BIG!). Sorry, no barbel, well???

No night fishing allowed, too cold anyway!

It's where I was brought up, hemp and tares on the crowquill during the summer, maggot/caster on the wag/crowquill/feeder during winter. We don't fish maggots at all during the summer, the bleak and eels are unbelievable! Autumn and winter is the real time to fish it.

What do you reckon?

I'm easy, before or after christmas depending on interest?

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I've "booked marked this thread". I'm keen, waiting to here dates and other arrangements ect.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Cake the pike are very few and far between, I don't know why? Loads of prey fish! Tidal effect maybe? I've never had one, but I've heard tales of upper doubles. The same goes for the carp, but during winter I would not expect them to show.

We've had perch up to 1.5lb whilst roach and chub fishing, but we have never targetted them, I'm sure there must be some big girls lurking in there.

Access is easy, car park swims or about three miles of relatively unfished water below the woods. The banks are mainly high, but you can get down to the water in some.

Like I said, I'm easy on a date, any suggestions? I will have to check the tides though.

C

Cakey

next Q where exactly............so I can work out milage etc.............ta

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I don't think a pike comp would be very good? Worth a go, but I'm not too sure?
The main target would be roach, chub, perch, dace and bream.

I will email you all with the venue, am I getting paranoid?

pcpaulh

Reaction score
No you don't want to get blamed if anything should happen, think your saving your hide!