LANZAROTE

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've tried searching before posting this, but it seems that others who have asked previously haven't had replies.

Has anyone been fishing in Lanzarote? I'm going for a week just before Christmas. As I only started fishing this summer, I am unfortunately completely addicted, and don't think I can spend a week lounging on a beach drinking cocktails when I could be fishing!

Does anyone have any relevant tips regarding fishing out there? My son is getting me a travel rod for Christmas, so I'll be able to take my own tackle with me.

Cheers lads!

Janet

A

Angler Saxon

Go to www.lanzarote.com click on 'What to do' then click 'Sports' then 'Sport Fishing' that will give two Big Game fishing links.

I've been to Lanzarote but only fished once for a couple of hours. We stayed at Costa Teguise and I fished off the jetty there. A few others were fishing too. Only saw small stuff caught but evening/night time might bring bigger fish inshore. There's a tackle shop in Costa Teguise which should be able to supply most bits and pieces but I don't think (could be wrong) that it sold bait as it also sold tourist junk. I used whelks etc from the local supermarkets (that's probably why I didn't catch much).
Hope this helps a bit.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I'll go and have a look at it now. Do you know if a licence is needed? I've not been able to find any information on that at all. I do know that harbour fishing isn't allowed, but can you fish near the harbour? I'll be staying in Costa Calero, and while my friend is sleeping off his inevitable hangover, I'd hoped to toddle off and try a bit of fishing.

Janet

A

Angler Saxon

Sorry, can't help re licence. I wouldn't think you'd need one for sea fishing though. Lanzarote counts as part of Spain, so maybe a Spanish government website could give you the definitive answer to that question.

T

The Monk

THE MARSH PREDATOR

The canalised irrigation systems of Majorca can be very enticing places for an exiled carp angler trapped on a family holiday. Heavy rain signalled our departure from Manchester?s Ringway Airport and it was in no time at all, and indeed with great relief, which we gazed down from the plane as it crossed the Bay of Alcudia and made its decent into Palma.

Our Paco (my Spanish Brother-in Law) was on time, as usual, to pick us up from the airport and the three quarter hour drive to the villa and the bar passed in no time. Hiding the very minimum of equipment inside the suitcases, the anticipation of three sneaked weeks fishing, between the usual boring day trips, visits to the beach and being stuck on bar duties while Our Paco and Doreen visited the local Menta disco, was too much to suppress.

On this particular visit, I have smuggled a pair of telescopic rods of two pound test curve, a pair of time honoured Mitchell 3oo`s, two optonics, a mini rod pod and an assortment of floating boilies for the mullet, all of which was quickly unpacked and hidden in the villa ready for my escape.

Day one, teatime over and I?m first to get changed, grabbing a quick hour, while the fight goes on for the bathroom. I?m soon sat with baits out on the Lago Canal at the end of the street; two mullet and an eel on floating crust and the wife appears behind me to drag me off down to the bar. Can?t you leave fishing alone for two minutes, she exclaims! Sorry dear.

T

The Monk

Three bottles of hazelnut schnapps, a few lagaros and a couple of whiskeys and I?m a quivering mess on the dance floor at the Menta (hic!) Disco. Should have left you at the canal, you ruin every holiday! My beloved exclaims, yes dear!

Monday arrived, thank god, and the girls are off to the market at Manacor, Paco was on bar duty (bless him) and little ole me was off into the darkest reaches of the S, Albufera marshland. The large panniers on Doreen?s bike were indeed ample storage space for carrying my array of fishing tackle and baits, the pedalling however was hard going and I guess carp fishing isn?t the most athletic of sports. Once off the main Alcudia to Can?t Picafort road, I negotiated the dirt tracks where the going really got tough. Buckets of sweat pored from me as I travelled down the scorpion-infested track towards La Puebla and the middle of the marsh.

Let me explain how the Spanish day works, we don?t usually closed the bar until 5 am in the small hours, so early morning rising usually occurs around noon the next day. Today had been no exception. I arrived at my chosen swim as the Spanish sun gently made its decent towards the distant mountains, where indeed Chopin and Sands shared this tranquil and timeless land. It made me feel good to be alive.

T

The Monk

It was a quiet spot that I had chosen, well set back from the beaten tracks. Indeed, it was very rare to see another soul, often for days on end. A long forgotten saltwater feeder system with scrum covered banks to hide amongst, while behind the pool lay probably some two kilometres of dense weed bed with what appeared to be small and isolated expanses of water in between, this in turn reached out to the now defunked rail head at the village of La Puebla. The wildlife was a sight to behold, with many the islands purple herons being in domination.

Baits were cast out to the edge of the reed beds, one on leeches (a sort of Spanish worm) and the other on squid section. Buzzers and indicators at the ready and I lay back to watch the Spanish sun gently kiss the distant mountains and soon drifted into an undisturbed slumber?.

A sudden chill awakened me. The banks were well lit with a full and radiant Mediterranean moon; its radioactive glow was illuminating the adjacent marshlands. It was as I was gazing across the marsh, that my eyes became transfixed on what appeared to be a large disturbance beneath the rushes. Whatever creature was responsible for this was very slowly edging its way towards me (gulp!), parting the rushes in its wake.

It eventually came to a halt directly behind a thin layer of stems between the pool and me. Indeed it was only a matter of feet away from my squid rod. I could sense that the creature knew of my presence, this made me feel nervous, to such an extent that I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck standing erect. The situation had an unnatural feel about it. After what seemed like an eternity, but in reality would have been minutes, the rushes opposite began to tremble, violently quiver and then slowly part. The creature, whatever it was, must surely have seen the bait by now.

The squid rod diode flashed once, heart in mouth, I was on the rod. A slow jerky type run followed. I wound down and hit the beastie with all my might?and all hell broke loose! I had latched onto one very angry animal that, surprisingly, instead of heading back into the marsh, decided to bolt headlong down the main channel level with the bank. I applied full side strain, but to no avail, tightening the clutch down in the process.

The fifteen-pound maxima was vanishing rapidly, unstoppable I decided to follow the creature down the bank. Flattening numerous varieties of cacti, my progress was eventually curtailed by a huge flourishing of nasty prickly thingies. The beast didn?t stop once and the line from the spool was eventually stripped clean- the lot gone!

I sat down despairingly, all was now quiet and the sun was beginning to rise over the marsh as I made my way back to the villa. Discussing events with Paco the next evening in the bar, he suggested that the creature may have been a fish the locals call a ?Yop?, which is apparently a large catfish type specie that inhabits marshlands and brackish waters in the region, but I?m not really sure? Apart from the mullet, the eels, a few carp and numerous Spanish species, I have never experienced anything with the same raw fighting power since my encounters with the Marsh Predator, it was indeed a fish at all, sweet dreams.

T

The Monk

I always find it very exciting fishing in a strange land for the first time, you never really know what you are going to catch, my philosopy is once you catch your first fish, shove a treble in its back and recast it!

georgehooks

Reaction score
Lanzarote is an amazing place for fishing!
Many people consider Lanzarote to be the best fishing area of the Canary Islands. In contrast to the other Canary Islands, fishing in Lanzarote is characterized by its unique and peculiar marine geography, a result of the island emerging from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean by emissions of lava millions of years ago.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Holy thread revival!

Lanzarote was our destination of choice, twice a year for a good number of years. I think it may have been a once only holiday if I’d been fishing back then, the better half would never had seen me.

Reaction score
Hi George,nice to see you resurrecting an old thread,dont know if any of the posters are members these days,here's hoping...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Hi George,nice to see you resurrecting an old thread,dont know if any of the posters are members these days,here's hoping...

I’m pretty sure The Monk aka Nick Melling doesn’t post here anymore but I keep in touch via F/book. A top bloke is Nick..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk