Releasing Drags On Reels

little oik

Reaction score
Do people still do this or do they trust in modern technology .I always let my drag off after a session just wondering how all of you approach this .

mol

Reaction score
I don't really bother after a session. I do release the drag if the reel isn't going to be used for a while

sam vimes

Reaction score
I try to remember to release a tight drag setting after every trip. I never used to bother but can see the logic in doing so.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to release the drag after a session more out of habit really these days.

I think that the drag on modern reels is an altogether different animal than what we had 30 or 40 years ago.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Is any need with modern reels? However, I also release the drag after a session out of habit being a good reminder to set the drag anew to suit the conditions of the next session.
Jerry

dannytaylor

Reaction score
Ive never heard of this before? Whats the reasoning behind it? I never backwind so i always adjust my drag at the begining of each trip.

little oik

Reaction score
Ive never heard of this before? Whats the reasoning behind it? I never backwind so i always adjust my drag at the begining of each trip.

I was told by my Father back in the sixties that a drag left tightened up and not adjusted for each session might have a tendency to stick just when you needed it as the plates or washers might not release properly.
I have continued the practise ever since .What I didnt know and still not sure of is if modern materials that make up a drag would still do this, not that it would probably change my habit which has been ingrained on me for so many years

Henrik

Reaction score
Usually when I leave the reels unused for a long period (winter), I tend to loosen the drag. Although I don't know if it is a useless procedure. It's just a way of fiddling with my tackle anyway, and I kinda enjoy it.