Mark Wintle on Grayling.

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

That is an astounding Grayling that John Searl has Mark. The bigest Greyling I have seen or caught was 1.5 lb from the Dane.
The Dane is by no means a chalk stream but in recent years they have found their way into it.

I remember telling an elderly couple of customers of mine that I had caught a Greyling on the Ribble. They were Game anglers, and the first thing they asked was did I kill and eat it? I am not knocking them but as you say in your article old habits die hard for some people.

I do like the odd Greyling session in the Winter months. There is something special about putting the odd day to one side just for this species alone.

The Lady of the Stream as it is called, and it couldn't be more aptly named.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
does any one know of the quality of grayling fishing available north of the border.which rivers do they exsist in.any ideas.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Some of the border rivers, notably the Annan, contain very big grayling indeed.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Thank you ron,whats the accsess like ,can you obtain day tickets for stretches.or is it game anglers only.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

In some cases it is game anglers only.

But that shouldn't stop you.

Upstream nymph fished "Czech Nymph" style catches loads of graying.

If you don't know how to fly fish, I suggest you go and learn how. I am staggered how many coarse anglers virtually refuse to learn the art of fly fishing.

It's another string to your bow.

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Ron i am not refusing to learn the art of fluff flinging,its just that upstream nymph fishermen are not exactly thick on the ground round these parts.Ron i have indeed had a look at them cheap starter packs in the past ,I know there not youre cup of tea ron, but would they do the job,for learning.I wonder why we dont hear more about the fish up there, when the fish down south seem to get alot of coverage.should keep me gob shut and get up there before the timsbury lot get on it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I would keep clear of cheap starter packs. Rather come next spring to our fly fishing day and learn a bit about it.

Free casting tuition too.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

By the way we do not "fling fluff", we fish the artificial fly and generally they are not constructed from "fluff."

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Thanks ron,were is the fly fishing day held.would tackle be provided to use on the day or not.sorry i will not refer to fluff again.

captain carrott

Reaction score
he bluddi does fluff fling you know!

why do we have 2 threads running about this article it's confusing me.