How's the Tench fishing been?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Tench fishing in my neck of the woods is always hit and miss, the emphasis on miss. I contemplated making a long trip somewhere to chase a big (just bigger than my PB, which isn't particularly big) one or decent bags but I never quite got round to it.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I had a tench last week which must have been 10" long if it was an inch-and that, as they say, is the sum total since June (I missed much of June /July though).

The little bu$$er whacked a huge lump of meat on a hair and was a good a bite as one might get from a big carp......

I recall Peter Stone saying in one of his books "give me an autumn biggie any time" so all is not lost-trouble is I'm not hearing of any big tench being landed...

I really must make the effort and find a club with a BIG tench water-must be something in the Thames valley? You know the sort of place I mean; smallish with max 10' of lilly padded water, surrounded by trees but prone to a bit of breeze complete with hard-to catch-fish up to double figures. Oh, and one that doesn't mean I've got to sell the house to fish it!!
Must have a look at Dinton Pastures again but this is expensive on a day ticket basis......

alfie

Reaction score
We must swop venues Alfie!

got to try summat mate...catching a big tench is my dream lol been trying for years with no luck..had little tinkers but nothing of any size.....i resigned myself to the fact that if i`m to catch one it`ll happen lol...hope it does before i pop me cloggs tho lol....have tried all tactics to catch one with no luck also tried every bait u can think of...people around have been catching em lol.....my bait probs has stinky issues or summat..

soak

Reaction score
Brilliant and it still is, a most excellent season.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I havent caught a tench since 1991, which must be something of a record. Admittedly i had not fished for them since until about two years ago, but no luck from about 10 sessions targeting them since. Yes i am fishing some lakes where they are present and had good fish roll and bubble within spitting distance. On the last trip a mate got a nice 5Ib 12 oz specimen - his first tench - on a hair rigged boilie/lead/buzzer set up which was a little galling as although i caught well over 300 tench back in the eighties my best was 5Ib 9oz and i refuse to use boilies.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Chub on the block: Swallow your pride and use them-you know it makes sense!

Why make it hard for yourself.......

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

Anyway, talking of tench fishing; Can I ask how late in the year some of you 'devout' tench fishermen continue to try for the species?

We are now in September which must be considered a good month with water still fairly warm and I suppose October-if it stays reasonably mild-is also worth a try, but beyond that.............
I know it depends a lot on the water/location and that some waters will always produce something when they really shouldn't but generally speaking is it still worth trying, say, into November?

I have caught from pits in February on red maggot but only the odd fish...

Any thoughts?

ps IC: Apologies for highjacking your thread but I guess its around the same topic.....

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Tee Cee..i know youre right,,but could i live with myself? What would Mr Crabtree make of it?

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

[/COLOR]Anyway, talking of tench fishing; Can I ask how late in the year some of you 'devout' tench fishermen continue to try for the species?

We are now in September which must be considered a good month with water still fairly warm and I suppose October-if it stays reasonably mild-is also worth a try, but beyond that.............
I know it depends a lot on the water/location and that some waters will always produce something when they really shouldn't but generally speaking is it still worth trying, say, into November?

I have caught from pits in February on red maggot but only the odd fish...

Any thoughts?

ps IC: Apologies for highjacking your thread but I guess its around the same topic.....[/QUOTE]

Used to catch tench well into September and also in March - at the end of the season. Now theres all year round fishing I wonder if the best times have shifted to April-May, and possibly around now at the back end of summer with a "difficult period in June which used to be the golden time for them. As i have caught zero tench since he season has changed my theory is rather unsubstantiated by experience!

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Not fished for tench since 2007 but have had a few 8lb+ fish this year when I've been after bream.

barbelboi

Reaction score
TC, Have caught tench every month of the year, as has my son - it was a sort of challenge up to about ten years ago as to who could achieve it first - thought we have never managed it on consecutive months during the same year.
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
On the last trip a mate got a nice 5Ib 12 oz specimen - his first tench - on a hair rigged boilie/lead/buzzer set up which was a little galling as although i caught well over 300 tench back in the eighties my best was 5Ib 9oz and i refuse to use boilies.

Fish for carp with boilies, odds on to catch a shed load of tench then!:D

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I reckon 'chub on the block' is weakening... If anyone knows him please drop him a few old boilies by post (any old flavour will do), that way he won't be seen entering a tackle shop!

Mr Crabtree; I always thought him a little cocky myself, a bit of a know-all in my book-so I kept with poor ol' Peter who had it all to look forward too!