Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How's the Tench fishing been?

By pure coincidence I spoke to several friends yesterday and they all had the same thing to say ....there's been no tench around this Summer.

We were talking about usually prolific waters in Devon, Surrey, Sussex and Hampshire, and all came to the conclusion that they just aren't around much...at least not in our landing nets!

So, .... how has your Tench fishing been this year, gentlemen?
    The Indifferent Crucian.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Default Re: How's the Tench fishing been?

Pretty good actually....having finally found a couple of waters where I can fish for tench without being pestered too much by carp [they follow me around] AND without having to resort to bolt rigs fished half a mile out . Nothing huge but consistent sport and I've always been perfectly content simply catching a few tench on my own terms ie on a float.

Blog Entries

My tench fishing has been most enjoyable, although with no boilie gutted and spawned up monsters like you get in the South.

But superbly fit fish that have fought like tigers up to just short of 7lbs.

---------- Post added at 03:08 ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 ----------

Oh and I might just get my 7 pounder this year, as they feed really well if we get a bit of warm weather in October.

I've had an enjoyable few months fishing for one of my favourite species (a bad 6 hour session was four or five fish) and, as Skippy says, not far out and not using bolt rigs. Come on Ron, don't stereotype, not all southern tincas are "boilie gutted and spawned up monsters". Although there are a few bigger ones a 7lb+ tinca from the water I do most of my tench fishing is a good conditioned solid fish.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Dear Sainted IDC, the Tench may not be biting at the Marsh but are fine in my neck of the woods and putting in many appearances to my rods....even to the nymph. Hopefully if it stays warm there will be more to come?

Even the roach are making a splendid reappearance on the stillwaters, with many a fine plump young specimen showing. Too early to say about the rivers as I don't usually start after them until the weed has been 'flushed' in October. I 'm looking forward to a stroll round some of my old haunts as my local club have let me back in, after 20 years, to see if they are still in the usual places?

Maybe you are just talking to the 'wrong' anglers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron The Hat Clay View Post
    although with no boilie gutted and spawned up monsters like you get in the South.
    Nice little dig there Rod (must try harder)

Quote Originally Posted by noknot View Post
    Nice little dig there Rod (must try harder)
    He never misses an opportunity eh?

Gotta feel for him, a specimen angler through and through, who loves fishing for tench, yet never had a double. That despite following all the other 'fish chasers' to Linears back in the day.... Guess belittling others catches in this way gives him a sense of superiority, that the merit of his catches doesn't!?!

In answer to the question; many of us in Oxfordshire have been struggling for big catches (both numbers and size) this year, and last. The common concensus of opinion is they are going through a cyclical change, where the biggies of 3-4 years ago have died off, leaving a bit of a void but going on the condition and numbers of 6-8lbers coming through, that void should be (hopefully) short lived?!?
    Last edited by cg74; 28-08-2011 at 14:47.

Thanks fellers...well it's nice to know there's been some good tench fishing in some places at least.

I have been lucky enough to have been given the key to a lovely lake not 7 miles from my home and I have fished it rather exclusively of late. It is supposed to have a lot of big tench in and I've only had the one, myself.

The owner 'phoned me yesterday and told me he was a little woried at how few he had heard of being caught this year. Then in the afternoon I met some pals I fished in Devon with in May, and they too had had little luck with tench this Summer from various locations around the South...it just got me thinking a little.

After a real Winter, even here down South, Ron, it might well be that some fish have died and others are yet to fill the niche, but it's a comfort to know others have seen plenty.

There's something about Tench Fishing in Summer, and this time of year when you feel the first chills of Autumn in the morning I feel a sense of urgency...it's time to make that extra effort before it's too late and Winter is here..............

Mr. Gimp, I haven't actually fished at Marsh Farm, apart from the infamous Gudgeon Match and a few testing sessions on Hill Pond there, since March. They won't let me drive my kit to my peg anymore and I'm too old to carry it now. Bit annoying to say the least.... particularly since so many able-bodied anglers and matchmen get away with it. I wish I hadn't bothered re-joining this season. Indeed I'm unhappy with the whole ethos of the place right now, not my cup of tea at all. Nothing but matches, matches, matches........

I'm glad you have been welcomed back into the W***** bosom. Try not to remind them why they tore your ticket up last time

And can you stop feeding boilies to the tench please...they're getting too fat, apparently
    The Indifferent Crucian.

Sainted IDC may I suggest a reduction in gear or invest in one of those Powawalker kit carriers....ideal for the more 'senior angler' and somewhere flat like the Marsh.

I refuse to use boilies for tench on principle and will only fish for them with a float and traditional baits or flyfish.

I realise this will possibly limit the size and places where I can fish for them...well so be it! For me personally, I think there is something objectionable about tenching with carp gear.

Sorry not for me, as I have seen too many 'parrot mouthed' tench, because they have been skull dragged through a series of weed beds by some 'angler' using a 3lb+ tc rod and 'big pit' cranking machines...I suppose I like tench too much to do that to them deliberately!

If the water I'm fishing gets too weedy, I just stop fishing for them until the weed beds die back a little or move onto a less weedy water!

I'm not preaching here because that is ojectionable too. I'm just writing about my tenching....what other anglers do is between them and their conscience?

Last edited by Harvey; 21-03-2012 at 20:22.
    Better well hanged than ill wed.
    Søren Kirkegaard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast