Okuma Eppix Baitrunner

D

Dave O'L

For those that haven't heard, I was just sorting out young lads Chrissy pressy with WMAC today & they told me that Okuma brought out a new Eppix baitrunner last month. They reckon it's tasty the same as the Eppix regular.
10 ballbearings, 2 ally spools. It is ?60 though which brings it towards the price range of the Shimano's.

How they compare????????
What with recent talk on the pred site about wobbly Shimano's - are they under threat?

S

Steve Burke

Anyone know what the after sales service is like on these reels? Where do we send them for servicing or repairs in the UK?

D

Dave O'L

Funny you just asked that Steve, as 1 of the other lads in the street caught me as I came in after work. He gave me his Okuma Chaser to repair. Spring under bail arm came free after he dropped it. Bugger, if there's 1 thing I hate is trying to sort out bail arm & spring. 3 hours, no luck yet!
Think I'll look at the site as they have some details for some models?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Dave long time no see,
I saw review a while ago and they do look good but I think the only thing that might be holding people back is habit, you know stay with what you know and all that. I think they look good and when I need to replace my current baitrunners I don't know if Shimano will be in the running as there are a few nice alternatives out there, the Maver range look quite good a well.

D

Dave O'L

Hello young Rodney, see you were getting a bit scientific on the mixer thread, you got me worried.
You know they say life begins at 40, well I was the other day & I found out I got a couple of quid left to spend. I've never had a baitrunner & never properly fished for carp. I think I'll be let out after Chrissy, so I might have a crack? I'll have to be careful & not get too excited as the Titanium still needs to be broken in - I've just not been able to get out.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Congrats and many more of them young man, how's the new addition doing, I hope your saving up the paste you thought of... Wendy and I are waiting for a report. Remember to keep off the rusks don't know what they might do to a man of your age. ;0}~

K

Kevan Farmer

I don't know about the baitrunner model but both my son and I have Okuma Epix reels. They are excellent. I actually compared these to similar Shimano's at the time. The Okuma's - of course - came out top. I may pop into WMAC in the week and do a comparison. Roy did say they would be having them in and I need to go in for a mate to take a look at a tele rod.

Kevan

M

Mike Fidler

Sorry guy's I was running late today, didn't get a chance to pop in.

B

Birds Nest

If its in the Range of the shimano's i'd go for the shimano option..

D

Dave O'L

Think you maybe right B.C., rang WMAC today to chase up lads 'pressy'. Gentleman I spoke to reckoned that the shimano out bid the okkuma.
Is it worth getting the GTE over the RE & any ideas on best prices? WMAC & Chapmans appear to be the same for a 5000 at ?79 & ?59 respectively.

Thanks for help!

J

Joe Foxall

I BOUGHT AN OKUMA BAIT RUNNER LAST YEAR, THEY;LL NEVER BE AS GOOD AS SHAMNIO,BUT SAYIN THAT I;VE FLOAT FISHED FOR MACKEREL,FISHED WITH MACK FEATHERS,USED IT FOR BASS AND MULLET EVEN RIVER FISHIN AND ITS NEVER LET ME DOWN ONCE AND ITS GOT A BIT OF POWER IN IT......

D

Dave O'L

Thanks. I do have a look myself but it's impossible to keep up!
Should I spend the extra & go for the GTE, is it that much better?

J

Joe Foxall

Try the Okuma Coronado, CD50 Baitrunner. Gerry's of Morecambe does them at an affordable price. You won't be disappointed at it's performance. It's a little work horse that does'nt moan.

D

Dave O'L

I put an order in for a GTE Nexus yesterday. Typical as today I found out I needed 2 new tyres for the car! I'm going to be in trouble now.