Dorset Stour on the road to recovery

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just thought I would bring this News release from the Environment Agency to your attention.

Dorset's famous River Stour has received a major boost with the successful completion of river restoration work at Glen’s Weir on the Throop Fishery near Bournemouth .

A number of improvements have been carried out by the Environment Agency including riverbank repairs, habitat creation and the re-instatement of spawning grounds. The works will help a variety of species including salmon, barbel, trout and chub.

Extensive dredging in the 1970's removed thousands of tonnes of gravel from the Stour for flood risk purposes. The works caused the loss of miles of spawning habitat for species including barbel, chub, salmon, sea trout and brown trout.

The Agency has worked with the Barbel Society and Ringwood & District Angling Association to identify the best sites for river restoration. Glen's Weir on the lower Stour was identified as a location where the best results could be achieved.

The latest project has resulted in the successful restoration of a previously dredged area of the river and created a valuable new spawning habitat. The £20,000 improvements included placing nearly 600 tonnes of Portland stone into a collapsed bank and old weir and re-profiling a weir pool. Refuge areas were also created for young fish.

The work at Glen’s Weir is the latest in a series of projects carried out by the Environment Agency on the River Stour over the past nine years. The improvements are important because they will help the river achieve good ecological status under the European Water Framework Directive.

'It has been a fantastic collaborative project and I am extremely happy with the end result. We've successfully restored more than 100 metres of river habitat,' said Jim Allan, for the Environment Agency

'This type of work not only improves a local habitat, but boosts the biodiversity of the whole river. I fully expect to see salmon spawning on the Stour this winter with barbel and chub spawning over the newly re-profiled gravels next spring. My special thanks go to Ops Delivery who have done a first class job, the Barbel Society for its funding and continued support,' said Jim Allan.

The River Stour used to be one of the UK ’s top salmon rivers famous for its large ‘multi-winter’ salmon. These are mature fish that have spent several winters at sea and return to the river of their birth to spawn – often weighing more than 20lbs. The largest salmon caught on the Stour was an impressive 40lbs. Extensive dredging more than 30 years ago contributed to the collapse in salmon numbers on the Stour .

Thanks to the Agency’s river restoration work, there are signs salmon are already making a comeback with adult fish seen lying in the pool below Glen’s Weir. A photo of the improved section of river is available from the Agency’s regional press office on 01392 442008

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I remember seeing photos of those great Stour salmon in W.J. "Bill" Longman's tackleshop in Barrack Road, Christchurch when I was a little boy, visiting with my Dad when were on our twice-yearly holidays in Bournemouth to get me a day ticket for Throop and sixpence worth of maggots. "Mr Longman", as I respectfully called him, was a great Stour and Avon salmon-fisher and even then in the early to mid 1960s was talking about the Stour as an ex-salmon river, dredged out and finished. Whilst it would be nice to see the old portmanteaux springers of old return, it'll be mostly much smaller late spring and summer fish the river will be seeing if the improvements "work", but then ANY salmon will be a plus after a nearly 50-year hiatus.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I used to fish this river and the Hampshire Avon quite a bit many years ago off and on. Just dont seem to get the chance now as I live further away but, it is nice to hear about this work. Keep it up.
I remeber visiting several pubs in the area with my Dad (he liked a pint) and remember seeing a lot of stuffed fish on the walls incuding some giant salmon that had been caught localy. Amazing stuff. I would recommend any angler to visit this area at least once in their life.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The EA must have a new spin doctor. The Stour is so knackered due to the predation that the EA pretends doesn't exist that a tiny stretch of gravel won't turn the tide. The work was done because the old weir was causing dangerous erosion not habitat restoration. It's unlikely that salmon will spawn in this area as it isn't far below two of Bournemouth's three sewage works. I've seen two salmon in the Stout catchment in the last 30 years, had a couple of parr as well which presumably dropped out of one of the tributaries.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not the story I hear!
We shall see.
I must admit I always look at the positive side of life, anything is better than nothing, and certainly better than a moan and doing nothing!

Last edited:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The EA must have a new spin doctor. The Stour is so knackered due to the predation that the EA pretends doesn't exist that a tiny stretch of gravel won't turn the tide. The work was done because the old weir was causing dangerous erosion not habitat restoration. It's unlikely that salmon will spawn in this area as it isn't far below two of Bournemouth's three sewage works. I've seen two salmon in the Stout catchment in the last 30 years, had a couple of parr as well which presumably dropped out of one of the tributaries.

It's exactly what I hear! :)

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I caught my first tench over 4lbs from the weir pool at Throop (well I think it was Throop!) during a family holiday nearby....I went to catch a chub!

Be nice to think it could return to its former glory but it would need to be some recovery!

A

alan whittington

To Mark W. ,ive just returned from Dorset and saw a salmon leap on beat three a couple of times,the lower Stour fishery manager was talking to me at the time,it was no grilse either,must agree with you though Mark,its probably to link up with the EA's drive to promote how good our rivers are,humph.:wh

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Some big seatrout came up on that big flood two weeks ago which is when you were on the river, maybe that's what you saw; had one jump over my float in New Weir when I fished it recently - August is the month when they come in, especially after some rain - one water has 25 in a pool that I know. Once you get above Longham the river is all but deserted by anglers apart from odd areas, and even the areas that had some pressure three or four years ago have deteriorated so fast that the anglers have given up. Two stretches I've fished in the last three weeks show virtually no sign of being fished this season. Neither have barbel nor are they ever likely to hold them, decent chub (not big ones) are few and far between, hence no anglers - plenty of peace and quiet though and a few small dace and roach.

A

alan whittington

Sad that fish stocks can be allowed to to deteriorate,but otters bums can be wiped with andrex,its a funny old world,its a pity otters dont eat cats,perfect scenario in my book.;)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nothing to do with a comparatively few recently re-appeared otters, everything to do with ever-here, ever-blind, someone or something else is to blame, millions of us.

cg74

Reaction score
Nothing to do with a comparatively few recently re-appeared otters, everything to do with ever-here, ever-blind, someone or something else is to blame, millions of us.

Utter rot! The problems aren't really the fault of the millions living in this country, its weak profit obsessed governments leading to poor environmental care, couple that with **** poor policing by the EA and this where we're at!

Water companies allowed to waste nearly as much water as they provide, greedy farmers left to bleed the rivers (open sewers) dry of any remaining liquid left.

Then you have the Great British easily pleased attitude, take Fred's words as an example: "anything is better than nothing"

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I've seen two salmon in about the last 20 years on the Stour. As Mark says, some mighty big seatrout are occasionally present but not sure about salmon now or in the future!

One of my uncles (Ron) had the privilege of landing one of the heaviest salmon from the Stour at 41lbs+ (Throop - Nettlbeds/High Bank) whilst "guesting" on someone else's syndicate ticket!

My family regularly salmon fished the lower Stour (above Iford at the top of the tidal) and had quite a few over the years but that was in the 1960's - not a lot since!

Oh! and Otters were ever present there in the same area then as well!

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Utter rot! The problems aren't really the fault of the millions living in this country, its weak profit obsessed governments leading to poor environmental care, couple that with **** poor policing by the EA and this where we're at!

Water companies allowed to waste nearly as much water as they provide, greedy farmers left to bleed the rivers (open sewers) dry of any remaining liquid left.

Then you have the Great British easily pleased attitude, take Fred's words as an example: "anything is better than nothing"

Hello, Colin Gordon [from the The Sticks of Oxfordshire], who tried it on with me on Barbel Fishing World Forums last night and came so badly unstuck. Please don't let your Otter Mania and Obsession about Otters (and, I suspect, possibly me) migrate to another Angling forum - bad for the forum, even worse for you if I could bothered at the moment to make you look extremely silly again.

Last edited:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Paul, Bill Longman's tackle shop in Barrack Road was my (our) local, great memories of Friday nights, shop was full of the locals. Don't know how he ever made a go of the business as we didn't spend too much money, just a lot of time talking.
:)

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Paul, Bill Longman's tackle shop in Barrack Road was my (our) local, great memories of Friday nights, shop was full of the locals. Don't know how he ever made a go of the business as we didn't spend too much money, just a lot of time talking.
:)

And if anything like my local tackle shop (as was) lots of cups of tea :)

Sadly 'sheds' don't do tea.

And yes Mark, the EA must have a new spin doctor, and working overtime,

cg74

Reaction score
Hello, Colin Gordon [from the The Sticks of Oxfordshire], who tried it on with me on Barbel Fishing World Forums last night and came so badly unstuck. Please don't let your Otter Mania and Obsession about Otters (and, I suspect, possibly me) migrate to another Angling forum - bad for the forum, even worse for you if I could bothered at the moment to make you look extremely silly again.

Paul, I think it is you that has the otter obsession, if you care to reread my post you'll see no mention of otters by me. As for me coming "so badly unstuck" last night, only in your deluded eyes old boy.

Note: Paul Boote, a once respected author and angler, now sadly a laughing stock on many an angling forum (not just my opinion). Once they laughed with him, now they laugh at him!

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Leaving aside otters, I wonder how "natural" some of the river "enhancement" schemes really are - especially when x tons of portland stone are involved, the likes of which you would not find within 150 miles of a natural chalk stream. Remodelling areas of silt, sand and fine gravels is good, eg for re-establishing riffle-pools and emergent vegetation (the latter not always a priority for anglers, but key to a fishery recruitment perhaps), but there is sometimes a tendency to recreate a scottish salmon river with plunge pools and boulders etc. Too much of it is landscape gardening.

I always thought weirpools are hotspots for fish, as are ponded lengths of river at other times of the year, eg for roach. I like old crumbling weirpools and eroding banks, preferably rather overgrown and with fallen trees in the water etc. All gets tidied up though on our crowded little island.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Moderation note:

FM has a zero tollerance policy regarding personal insults.

Keep it fun and fair please, this is a good discussion and as such desreves to be kept on topic.