Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Sewage warning for the Thames

I hear that 1/2 a million cubic metres of raw sewage has been dumped in the Thames, and the excuse given out by the "authorities" is that the Thames valley sewage plants are too small and incapable of handling it!

Goodness gracious, have you seen the date lately?

The year is 2011 isn't it, not 1811!

Why in the name of sufferance do we not have adequate sewage treatment facilities in this country? There is no doubt that the UK is on it's way backwards towards a new "middle age". London, at one time one of the proudest most advanced cities in the world has become a **** heap. And then there have been the riots!

Gentlemen, the time has come to take stock and sort out our priorities.

Don't you think?

Default Re: Sewage warning for the Thames

I totally agree,since starting fishing some 4-5 years ago i have become more aware of these things and i simply can not understand why any kind of waste is dumped into rivers at all!? . Nobody should have these so called `permits` to discharge waste and any business that could possibly leak polluted effluent into a nearby watercourse should not be allowed to be situated where they are in the first place under planning laws.

Does anyone know how to build a guillotine, maybe I should wear a red, white and blue cap and take up knitting...Hmm! perhaps that is a good idea...guess its either that or standing for Parliament so I can get my nose in the trough.

Right here goes:

WATATOAD

FOR

EL PRESIDENTE

GRANDE SUPREMO

FATHER

OF HIS

COUNTRYSHIP

VOTE

FOR

ME

WATATOAD

I'M GREEN

Well wataya fink...hehehe

---------- Post added at 03:36 ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 ----------

Hehehe.

However being serious it is down to temporary sewerage discharge licenses that have been granted some 20,000 of them and they have been temporary for well over 20 years.

Just throw in little or no investment in sewerage and recycling. Instead put in place a massively and vastly expanded bureaucracy the giving away of our utilities to other countries and massive profits extracted for a very few and even these are mainly to non English companies and perhaps individuals. Throw in some very dubious decisions and support by some members of Parliament, local councils, local government officers and the Ministries and you have the problem in hand.
    Last edited by watatoad; 11-09-2011 at 10:47.
    From a spark a flame will burn

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Blog Entries

I fear you are right Toad.

So I can count on your vote then...hehehe
    From a spark a flame will burn

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

A few years ago I seem to recall complaints about a lack of fry on the Thames and it was suggested there was a lack of microorganisms in the water to sustain them. It was suggested this was a consequence of treated water being pumped into the river basically being too clean. Now its too dirty again. Seems we cant make our mind up and I think people are basically never going to be happy are they.

The river runs through one of the biggest urban sprawls in the world and the most densely populated region in Europe, south east England. Perhaps instead of constantly trying to pick holes moan and complain maybe we should give ourselves a pat on the back that there is any fish in there at all.
    We have already seen on another thread that 10 year data shows the Thames has more fish per m3 of water than other rivers including the Trent. As they dont run through central London and have less fish I would say you would be better off focusing your attention and complaints on whats wrong on that river.

Quote Originally Posted by watatoad View Post
    So I can count on your vote then...hehehe
    If you can promise us chain gangs of rioters digging new sewers with pick and shovel, you've got mine.

Philip,

In the last year, 39,000,000,000 (yes billion) litres of raw sewage were dumped in the tidal Thames (or 39,000,000 tons if you prefer!). Quite legally. It is due to increace by 2.5 times in the next ten years if the Tideway Tunnel isn't built.

There was a massive fish kill in June, last week, oxygen levels around Hamersmith yet again dropped to levels that should have wiped out any living organisms, nothing noticable died, there's nothing left there at the moment.They all died in June. Every time we get over 2mm of rain, the 'emergency' overflows spew sewage into the Thames. Dear old Bazalgette built a sewage system for a city of 2.5 Mill. not what we've got now. David Walliams really should be doing the backstroke when he gets below Richmond, I wouldn't put my head underwater

Go on the TAC website. Discharge warnings are a weekly occurance, so if the Trent really is worse, I shan't be bothering to travel north to fish!

Stu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    A few years ago I seem to recall complaints about a lack of fry on the Thames and it was suggested there was a lack of microorganisms in the water to sustain them. It was suggested this was a consequence of treated water being pumped into the river basically being too clean.
    There is a balance to be struck by how much clean water, purified by the STWs, and how much natural water containing phyoplankton and zooplankton there should be.

However, there is a difference between having a natural amount of planktons and the dumping of raw sh*t into the Thames and the latter seems to be most convenient for Thames Water at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by stu_the_blank View Post
    David Walliams really should be doing the backstroke when he gets below Richmond, I wouldn't put my head underwater
    They were looking for a big pike that might eat him.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Woodhouse View Post
    There is a balance to be struck by how much clean water, purified by the STWs, and how much natural water containing phyoplankton and zooplankton there should be.

However, there is a difference between having a natural amount of planktons and the dumping of raw sh*t into the Thames and the latter seems to be most convenient for Thames Water at times.
    I don't claim all is well, and I certainly dont condone the dumping of raw sewage . However my point is that is it really restricted to the Thames ? Which seems to be a target for certain people. How come the Thames gets the bad press when its actually got more fish in it than rivers like the Trent ? How do you explain that ? I also dont see any suggestions on how to solve the problems ...just whiners complaining.

So whats the solution guys ?

& btw I also take exception when someone calls my hometown a **** heap ! ...I speak to allot of foreign people and I can honestly say that 99% of the time if they ask about the UK they ask about London. I have never ever had someone ask me about Rotherham...why ? ..because no one knows it and no one wants to know it apart from the tiny % of people unlucky enough to live there.

London or Rotherham ? ...No contest , give me the petrol bombs and raw sewage every single time....so PLLLLLARRRPPPPP (thats me blowing a raspberry)
    Last edited by Philip; 12-09-2011 at 20:09.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast