Genuinely waterproof trousers

thames steve

Reaction score
Most 'waterproofs' aren't waterproof, including Goretex. They'll repel showers but if you sit in a puddle the water comes thru.

Does anyone know of trousers, or bib n brace, suitable for fishing (that could come from another sport) that would keep my a* rse dry if sitting in a puddle but not make me sweat so much as an oilskin would?

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you'll find that most manufacturer's 'waterproof' trousers will fall into the same category Steve, if 'sitting in a puddle' is the criteria.

I'm left to wondering why you don't use a chair or a seat box like the rest of us, but if sitting in a puddle is your 'thing' then I reckon you'll need to go to chest waders.

[ insert smiley thing > > > > > H E R E ]

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think your looking for miracle trousers !

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
On a boat in Ireland it had been slashing down through the night and the hard seats were wet. The skipper said to sit on one of his cushions that were taped up with Duck tape, which I did and.....

All the water had soaked through it and then came out onto my ar$e and through my 'waterproofs'. :D :D :D

Thanks Jimmy!

watatoad

Reaction score
The only trousers that I can think of being totally dry would be a scuba divers dry suit and that would be totally impracticable for fishing and may well cause some problems should the wearer where to walk around in public with skintight rubber trousers on...hehehe

My experience of all the fishing trousers and bib and braces I have worn, is the wet always gets through.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Rubber chesties or waisties is all I can think of.

thames steve

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. I think I'm veering towards breathable waist waders - look just like trousers. I need to satisfy my 'sitting in a puddle' requirement first though. Nothing worse than a soggy a*rse.

If no go, I'll look at kayak gear with neoprene seat area.

flightliner

Reaction score
Most 'waterproofs' aren't waterproof, including Goretex.
I,ll second that Steve but the "heavy shower" really does have to be horrendoes. I do however have a two piece camaflage suit that is standard italian army issue and its ripstop it is that good that I have managed to obtain another for when the original wears out but it will take many years. But for neck, sleeves and trouser bottoms I think I could throw myself in the river and stay perfectly dry.

The Sogster

Reaction score
I have some lightweight 'Peter Storm' over trousers bought from a well known hiking suppliers for less than a tenner - these are 100% waterproof, they are nylon with a rubberised lining, like a kagoule. They do not let your legs breathe like goretex, so are uncomfortable to walk long distances in but other than that they are fantastic.

flightliner

Reaction score
Dont get me wrong here, I like goretex but just wearing it for a day you will find damp condensation on the inside,granted not as much as plastic or inner rubberised types of gear but its there nontheless.
I dont do many overnighters these days so it matters little if my inner layers of clothes feel a little dampish at the end of a session as the "cold bridge effect" as no time to be of any bother which is why I really like the "plasticky" italian job I mentioned earlier. On the other hand if say,I were to be undertaking some more strenuous activity other than angling then it would have to be some goretex type clothing. . So, Sogster, I,m with you also.

little oik

Reaction score
Motorcycling clothing is one area to look at .The only problem would be price ,and the armour they put into them .I bought a gortex 2 piece a few years ago now, which set me back best part of 300 quid (trousers were about 130).However they were out in all weathers and didn't let me down one iota and lasted well till they took a bit of road rash courtesy of a woman driver (got my money back though).
The other thing to look for in my opinion is waxed cotton .Keep it waxed every few years and it shouldn't let you down .Even stops brambles and thistles getting you .Also they will last for years no problems .The down side is that they get very stiff with age (like most of us )
No Real Tree though if you are that way inclined .

paul80

Reaction score
What you need is a rubber gimp suite or as I have found something ex army offers better protection and at a much lower cost than something from a Tackle brand.

Paul

vort

Reaction score
Genuinely waterproof means water won't get in but, on the other hand, condensed sweat won't get out either.

I had some thick nylon/PVC bike trousers once that never leaked. Wouldn't want to walk around in them though.

Have a look on the 'bay for some ex-army goretex jobs. The last pair I got were new and cost £17. Quite comfy to wear while walking around as they are breathable. They keep out rain but probably wouldn't be much use for sitting in puddles.

ravey

Reaction score
I am a motorcyclist as well as an angler, and as you can imagine, I have ridden in some foul weather.

In the winter, I wear Hein Gericke bottoms and top, but in summer, I find that the Berghaus 'deluge' overtrousers are fine. I am not sitting in 'proper' puddles, but a wet motorcycle seat hasn't defeated me yet. A jacket from the same firm stands up to heavy rain at 60mph+ as well.