Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Genuinely waterproof trousers

Most 'waterproofs' aren't waterproof, including Goretex. They'll repel showers but if you sit in a puddle the water comes thru.

Does anyone know of trousers, or bib n brace, suitable for fishing (that could come from another sport) that would keep my a* rse dry if sitting in a puddle but not make me sweat so much as an oilskin would?
    Last edited by thames steve; 14-09-2011 at 11:47.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Genuinely waterproof trousers

I think you'll find that most manufacturer's 'waterproof' trousers will fall into the same category Steve, if 'sitting in a puddle' is the criteria.

I'm left to wondering why you don't use a chair or a seat box like the rest of us, but if sitting in a puddle is your 'thing' then I reckon you'll need to go to chest waders.

[ insert smiley thing > > > > > H E R E ]

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

I think your looking for miracle trousers !

Blog Entries

On a boat in Ireland it had been slashing down through the night and the hard seats were wet. The skipper said to sit on one of his cushions that were taped up with Duck tape, which I did and.....

All the water had soaked through it and then came out onto my ar$e and through my 'waterproofs'.

Thanks Jimmy!
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Ihave a pair of Preston Drifish trousers and they are ok , £30...

The only trousers that I can think of being totally dry would be a scuba divers dry suit and that would be totally impracticable for fishing and may well cause some problems should the wearer where to walk around in public with skintight rubber trousers on...hehehe

My experience of all the fishing trousers and bib and braces I have worn, is the wet always gets through.
    From a spark a flame will burn

English by birth, Cockney by the Grace of God

Rubber chesties or waisties is all I can think of.

8. Default Re: Genuinely waterproof trousers

Thanks chaps. I think I'm veering towards breathable waist waders - look just like trousers. I need to satisfy my 'sitting in a puddle' requirement first though. Nothing worse than a soggy a*rse.

If no go, I'll look at kayak gear with neoprene seat area.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thames steve View Post
    Most 'waterproofs' aren't waterproof, including Goretex.
    I,ll second that Steve but the "heavy shower" really does have to be horrendoes. I do however have a two piece camaflage suit that is standard italian army issue and its ripstop it is that good that I have managed to obtain another for when the original wears out but it will take many years. But for neck, sleeves and trouser bottoms I think I could throw myself in the river and stay perfectly dry.

I have some lightweight 'Peter Storm' over trousers bought from a well known hiking suppliers for less than a tenner - these are 100% waterproof, they are nylon with a rubberised lining, like a kagoule. They do not let your legs breathe like goretex, so are uncomfortable to walk long distances in but other than that they are fantastic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast