Keeping Warm in Winter

F

Frothey

needs cumin in it....

on a whim i chucked some pickled sweet peppers in a chilli the other day - its was fab!

F

Frothey

the only thing with neoprene is that your hands will sweat - its worth wearing some thin cotton gloves under them

nicky

Reaction score
I went to bed friday night and there was ice, fog, and thick frost everywhere, so i was perpared for the worst saturday morning, but when i got up all the ice had gone so i thought it's turned alot milder, how wrong could i have been.

Left my moon boots behind but still had three pairs of socks on, t-shirt, fleece jumper, fleece jacket with lining, warm coat with inner buttons, zip, then more outer buttons, thinsualte bobble hat, thinsulate gloves, I WAS BL**DY FREEZING ALL DAY, is there anything that can really be done against a biting northeasterly wind.

Never mind i still enjoyed myself as i caught my first pike of the year, difficult using the unhooking tools though as my hands weren't working properly

J

john conway

Don't just watch the thermometer it?s the humidity and wind that doubles or triples the effect of the thermometer reading. Clothes must be loose fitting but not loose enough to waft the heat away from your body when you move. It really dose pay to buy good thermal clothing and socks if you have a problem with the cold. And although it has been said before, it is worth repeating, don't get sweaty on the walk in or hoofing all your gear to your peg. Once your underclothes are wet you'll have problems all day, hence the reason for buying good quality thermal clothing that wicks away moisture. As you get older sitting out a cold session get worse, bad circulation and all that. If you want to improve your circulation then go to the gym and get stuck into your aerobics, get that circulation working, that or put your hand in your pocket and buy the best thermal clothing you can afford.
I don't ware gloves when I'm fishing, between casting, baiting up and landing fish, I sit with my hands like a china man, one up each sleeve of my jacket. However, I do ware a pair of gloves for the walk in. And last but not least I ware a balaclava and a woolly hat.

scrupes

Reaction score
A tip for fishing in the winter..
look in the discount stores for some heat pads for bad backs.
No kidding ther are some the missus found for me when i had a strained hip. they are a kind of dressing which sticks to the inside of your shirt or whatever and they emit warmth for up to 12 hrs ( 2 packs of 2 for a quid at our local poudshop).
simply stick 1 in each pocket to keep your hands warm all day!

i even tried these on the inside of my jeans and had the lovliest warm bum and knees when stalking

if you have ever suffered from cold in the kidneys (you'd know or you dont want to know) these can be a saviour!

by far the best winter jacket is the Shimano Tribal 3/4 jacket. really is to hot at any other time of year.
best boots I've ever had are my skeetex.

it might sound daft but sometimes wearing more than one pair of socks will make your feet colder as your feet will sweat and then the sweat cant get out through 2 or 3 pairs of socks. a tip is to wear 1 pair to get there and once setup and fishing change them for a fresh pair( amazing how much they will warm up)

RE Johns post. john reccomended good quality underclothing and while i agree i would advise anyone looking to purchase some, check out the second skin suits ( if the sundridge is still available its a good buy as it is micro brushed inside actively wicks moisture away).

Apart from the above, the only other winter essential is a flask of warm soup!