Keeping Warm in Winter

W

Wolfman Woody

Top advice there Graham about the alcohol. It does cool you as much as warm you. The warming effect is momentary although like you, a wee drop of navy rum in coffee does perk it up a little.

A good thermally insulated mug too. They look a bit childish, but I've had drinks stay warm in them for almost an hour in winter. Better than the cup on the flask any day.

Beef tea (Bovril, which the Brummies know all about) is also good, but does leave you wanting more.

A good wide flask and hot chilli does it for me though for keeping warm. I'll dig out the recipe for you which came from the Grapes PH in Deansgate where all the Corrie Street people used to go. First class, honest.

M

MarkTheSpark

"whatever type of garment you wear, make sure it is at least one size too large"

That's going to be a challenge for the clothing industry given the girth of some FM members. Still, go large, as Graham's excellent feature says, and you can always let the kids use them as a tent in summer

W

Wolfman Woody

I thought about Deanos when I read that too. Do they make an XXXMarquee size for him?

J

john conway

I?m probably one of those anglers who prefer to fish in the winter, I?m more likely to have the river to myself and with less natural food available the fish can be quite obliging when you get that slight rise in the river temp.
Good advice Graham, as I?ve got older I don?t care how daft I look so long as I?m dry and warm. I love fishing in the snow but as you said Graham it?s a long time since we?ve had any decent snow.

Islander

Reaction score
A one piece flotation suit would be ideal, I
swear by Skeetex boots, not the best for walking in but very warm, under the suit look
at layered clothing as used by fell walkers and climbers, a hat with earflaps may look a
bit daft but who cares if it does the trick!

Paul T

Reaction score
Another good tip for this time of year, is sunglasses or polarised glasses.
Yes I know its winter, but the sun is very low in the sky at this time of year. Staring at a float or quiver tip with the sun reflecting off the water, or in your face is difficult, almost blinding as I found out last weekend!
Its always my hands and feet that suffer in the cold, can"t trot a float my hands freeze!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
When I read an article like that, and what a good one it is, with all the various winter options it makes me wonder how the 'eck we survived in days gone by. I used to love winter fishing years ago and couldn't wait for September to come. Wellies frozen to the ground, rod rings frozen up and enough clothing to start a car boot sale but still enjoying wonderful winter fishing. No longer though, sadly, my circulation is that bad its not worth the risk, neither would I enjoy it.

I have one of those Sundridge sleep suits which I shall be trying for the first time at Gold Valley, Andy Nellist told me there isn't anything better so I hope he's right, he usually is. That plus a free (or nearly anyway) suit I had last year for my CF subscription and I might not need a brazier in the peg?

njb51

Reaction score
Wearing a pair of rubber gloves underneath a pair of regular gloves is a good way of keep the water out and keeping the hands warm.

Deanos

Reaction score
"I thought about Deanos when I read that too. Do they make an XXXMarquee size for him?"

I don?t know how you can stand the cold English weather after living in Pakistan as a boy Woody.

The best way to stay warm is to get a pie hot from the bakers...then hot foot it to the local library, put yer feet up, read the free newsies, and have forty winks.
Job done my chubby friends!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Hands are the most difficult part of the body to keep warm when you are float fishing, or even worse polefishing, the problem is increased when its raining as well.

Gloves of all description are available but I remember from past experience that gloves and fishing don't work well together. I have even tried surgeons gloves but to no avail and to be honest I don't think there ever will be a satisfactory solution.

Some lucky people seem not to be bothered by it but I think most anglers have a problem with cold fingers and hands, I have noticed this increases with age too.

E

EC

Kin'ell lads its chrimbo on Monday, the temp here hasn't fell below 4degC this winter. Not sure we've even had a slight frost yet, let alone a proper one!

I know it's always a bit warmer on the banks of the royal blue, but the weather is still outrageously warm.

Deanos

Reaction score
Piffle!

My pants were as stiff as cardboard on the washing line when I got up this morning!
I had to put them in the toaster before I could get em on!

Sanity Clause

Reaction score
I've used the Sundridge sleep suit on all my trips this year, got it free when buying the Minus 10 jacket and bib set. Not once have I needed anything more than it to keep really warm. Also, Skee-tex field boots with new inners, don't even need socks.
I bought some neoprene gloves, but can't say they worked too well on my last outing, I'll take Graham's advice and only put them on when my hands are warm.

W

Wolfman Woody

Jonny said - "Wearing a pair of rubber gloves underneath a pair of regular gloves is a good way of keep the water out and keeping the hands warm."

Spend some money you tight wad and buy a proper pair of neoprene gloves or how about SealSkinz, they're waterproof. If anything, and unlined rubber glove next to your skin is the worst thing you could possibly wear.

The best type of glove is a mitten, ie: no fingers. This keeps the fingers together and they then keep each other warm. A lot of the time you only need to keep the back og your hands warm and this then keeps warm blood circulating to the finger tips.

IF you don't have to constantly hold a rod or pole, get a handwarmer and if you're not warming your hands with it, put it in your shirt pocket near your heart. That'll keep you warm alright.

And the other important item to wear is - a proper HAT! like what I am wearing!

p a c man(B A S)

Reaction score
my dad got me a "****ies all in one suit weather proof and all" what a buzz its top notch warmer than my floatation suit....
and through his company he got it @ ?29.99
.BARGAIN............
any 1 want one?????
only f/m boyz please.....

W

Wolfman Woody

Right - here it is - you have been warned (or should that be WARMED?)

Chilli (Con Carne ? just means with meat)

This recipe came from the Grapes PH where the Corrie Street stars used to eat. I persuaded the cook to give it to me, but the one most important ingredient is the chilli powder, IT MUST BE RAJAH chilli powder, nothing else. I?ve tried others including one mixed by my Indian friend Devendrah Patel, which was nice, but nothing like the same so look out for it.

A small onion diced, but not too fine.
Half a kilo of good minced beef, but not too lean.
A red pepper diced
A tin of chopped Italian tomatoes
A tin of red kidney beans
2 cloves of garlic
? tspn of dried basil
? tspn of dried parsley
? - 1 tspn of Rajah chilli powder (be careful, you can add more later after a taste test, but you can?t take it out.)
Tomato puree
Gravy browning or granules
Salt and ground black pepper

To serve -
English mustard (an absolute must)
Grated Cheddar or red Leicester cheese.
Fresh crusty bread (none of that rice cobblers)

Fry off the onion and red pepper and then add the mince and fry until browned. Add the garlic and the tomatoes, basil and parsley, salt and pepper. Let it bubble away for 15-20 minutes adding a little water if needs be.

Strain and drain the chilli beans and chuck them into the mixture. Give it all a stir and add the chilli powder little by little. The mush should be a little sloppy at this stage and will need the gravy granules adding to thicken it.

Much of this is trial and error in finding how hot you want it by adding more chilli powder and how sloppy you make it by adding more gravy granules. Keep tasting and stirring until it suits you. Don?t forget to add the mustard just before you want to eat it, if you add it whilst it?s cooking you cook the heat out of it.

M

MarkTheSpark

Have I accidentally veered off course and gone to Delia On-Line?

Maybe we should start a thread for 'The World's best Chilli' 'cos I reckon - lovely though yours sounds, Woody - my recipe is better than that.....

stikflote

Reaction score
E,C temp droped a bit know minus 2 at moment took dog for a walk came back with a female lol

F

Fred Bonney

Sounds like the DB's got frozen off?

I've got a good chilli con carne, too.