Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wolfman Woody Guest

Top advice there Graham about the alcohol. It does cool you as much as warm you. The warming effect is momentary although like you, a wee drop of navy rum in coffee does perk it up a little.

A good thermally insulated mug too. They look a bit childish, but I've had drinks stay warm in them for almost an hour in winter. Better than the cup on the flask any day.

Beef tea (Bovril, which the Brummies know all about) is also good, but does leave you wanting more.

A good wide flask and hot chilli does it for me though for keeping warm. I'll dig out the recipe for you which came from the Grapes PH in Deansgate where all the Corrie Street people used to go. First class, honest.

MarkTheSpark Guest

"whatever type of garment you wear, make sure it is at least one size too large"

That's going to be a challenge for the clothing industry given the girth of some FM members. Still, go large, as Graham's excellent feature says, and you can always let the kids use them as a tent in summer

Wolfman Woody Guest

I thought about Deanos when I read that too. Do they make an XXXMarquee size for him?

john conway Guest

Iím probably one of those anglers who prefer to fish in the winter, Iím more likely to have the river to myself and with less natural food available the fish can be quite obliging when you get that slight rise in the river temp.
    Good advice Graham, as Iíve got older I donít care how daft I look so long as Iím dry and warm. I love fishing in the snow but as you said Graham itís a long time since weíve had any decent snow.

A one piece flotation suit would be ideal, I
    swear by Skeetex boots, not the best for walking in but very warm, under the suit look
    at layered clothing as used by fell walkers and climbers, a hat with earflaps may look a
    bit daft but who cares if it does the trick!

Another good tip for this time of year, is sunglasses or polarised glasses.
    Yes I know its winter, but the sun is very low in the sky at this time of year. Staring at a float or quiver tip with the sun reflecting off the water, or in your face is difficult, almost blinding as I found out last weekend!
    Its always my hands and feet that suffer in the cold, can"t trot a float my hands freeze!

When I read an article like that, and what a good one it is, with all the various winter options it makes me wonder how the 'eck we survived in days gone by. I used to love winter fishing years ago and couldn't wait for September to come. Wellies frozen to the ground, rod rings frozen up and enough clothing to start a car boot sale but still enjoying wonderful winter fishing. No longer though, sadly, my circulation is that bad its not worth the risk, neither would I enjoy it.

I have one of those Sundridge sleep suits which I shall be trying for the first time at Gold Valley, Andy Nellist told me there isn't anything better so I hope he's right, he usually is. That plus a free (or nearly anyway) suit I had last year for my CF subscription and I might not need a brazier in the peg?

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Wearing a pair of rubber gloves underneath a pair of regular gloves is a good way of keep the water out and keeping the hands warm.

"I thought about Deanos when I read that too. Do they make an XXXMarquee size for him?"

I donít know how you can stand the cold English weather after living in Pakistan as a boy Woody.

The best way to stay warm is to get a pie hot from the bakers...then hot foot it to the local library, put yer feet up, read the free newsies, and have forty winks.
    Job done my chubby friends!

Hands are the most difficult part of the body to keep warm when you are float fishing, or even worse polefishing, the problem is increased when its raining as well.

Gloves of all description are available but I remember from past experience that gloves and fishing don't work well together. I have even tried surgeons gloves but to no avail and to be honest I don't think there ever will be a satisfactory solution.

Some lucky people seem not to be bothered by it but I think most anglers have a problem with cold fingers and hands, I have noticed this increases with age too.

Politicians, like diapers, have to be changed frequently - and for the very same reason

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast