SWIM CLEARENCE

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North)
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I have recently found a great looking swim. It is on a privately owned water, but it could do with a bit of clearing.
There are just one or two branches that get in the way when I am casting. If I was to remove these branches, it wouldn?t spoil the swim in any way at all. I am not into putting concrete flags or wooden shuttering down or anything like that. I like things to be as natural as possible. Do you think it would be okay for me to take these branches out, or should I seek permission from the owner first? Could it be classed as wilful damage if I did it off my own back?

I think that too many waters have been spoiled by hard landscaping. Although in some cases it is beneficial and at times essential to the angler.
What do you think?

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Some times it is needed but on many occasions it can ruin the fishery by taking any cover the fish have and leaving the place looking like its been scalped by a barber.Im not a big fan of the wooden stages that keep getting put up either I know it is helpful for disabled anglers which is good but they are treachorous when wet and I cant see them lasting that long either.Id ask the boss if I were you baz.

L

Les Clark

A happy new year to you Baz , its a bit eary in the year for one of your windup threads don`t you think ?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reading some of Baz's recent posts --I think it might have something to do with bow saws and a certain so-called 'expert'

F

Fred Bonney

Baz,windup? Nah.

I have to say, i've seen branch trimming done by somebody before now,to the degree,that the first proper gale brought the tree down shutting the swim completely.
Ask the owner first, Baz.

A pet hate, associated to this is,is the people who carve out comfortable swims from river banks,sometimes on the flood relief banking.
This is not allowed,and nor should it be and is bloody dangerous,especially, if you come across one, when levels up up and your wadeing along the bank!

P

Phil Hackett The ostrich pie hater

You forgot to mention the spade for digging your own grave Super Bailiff!

I also have your e-mail on the "Mere" ;0)

T

Terry D

I would tend to take the sensible option. If you do a good job, dispose of the 'trimmings' and it's unlikely to be noticed, then go ahead. If it's going to be obvious that you've hacked half a tree down and left enough behind for a bonfire, then ask permission first.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Baz and Phil, take your personal feud off the forum please.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Phil.
I have had a word with the owne rof that new water we were talking about yesterday.
He says we can go and fish it on Wednesday if we want to.
What time did we arrange to meet up?

P

Phil Hackett The Boastful Expert :-0

do I need to bring the bowsaw or something with a vit more power Buzz, buzz buzz?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

Good idea mate. We could do with a bit of peace and quiet away from these argumentative ba.....s.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Oh you two are cards. It was all just a wind-up then eh?

OK, my turn now.

P

Phil Hackett The Boastful Expert :-0

No you're not, I'm the injured party here!

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Cut em both down at night.

That's the branches, and the Seal.