The Frothey Dave Story

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I enjoyed reading that dave well done! i'm looking forward to reading your article on carping!

F

Frothey

i've got that whole lady diana shy look going on with that 11lb'er!

the shed's a better swim now they've built it (well 12yrs or so ago!) Les as you can get right down the back of the islands and fish the SSSI margin. The Island is a fantastic swim on its day though!

W

Wolfman Woody

You see, the only one where you're smiling is holding that little whiting (is it?). Small things amuse .........

have you still got the two-tone top, btw?

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

That was a really good read Dave

F

Frothey

which two-tone top? (he says walking straight into something!)

blankety blank

Reaction score
Gread read Dave

Interestingly i caught my first ever pike (and did my first proper river fishing) on the Stour at Cavendish. My mother's family grew up there and my gran still lived in the Mill cottage by the river. You can walk down a footpath to the footbridge where I used to fish.

When i was a kid (we are going back 30 years here) the river seemed to me to be chock full of fish, although my uncles told me then when they were kids it was much better. They would think nothing of 20 pike in a morning.

The river authority used to pump some kind of perfume in the river (to cover smell of sewage) and I have never smelled anything like it anywhere else. I took a sentimentl trip back last winer, and the smell is just the same.. You are probably smelling it as you read this!

The river looks smaller though than it did in my minds eye. Ain't that always the way..

F

Frothey

the glide between the wierpool and the road bridge was where i caught my first dace.... apparently some of the Clare carp are in the slow water above the mill (nice house btw! - i can vaguely remember going there a few times)....is the "monster pike" still in their? lol

W

Wolfman Woody

"which two-tone top?"

In your barnet! You had a blonde lid when I saw you last.

Mind you, in the hairdressers today I was thinking of having lowlights put in. Only because there was 20% off.

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Superb read Frothey, nice one. It was interesting to see you mention some of my haunts from the late sixties. Having been born in Deal my first "proper" carp session was on Fordwich in 1967 just after C&DAA had stocked the carp, with my trusty "Tag Barnes Super Carp Rod". I think Fox are still making them.
Can't wait to read your future articles and I know what you mean about bringing up kids in England. See you in France.
Keep writing mate.

F

Frothey

had a walk around there last year with my dad (who's a member). bought back so many memories.....just a shame i cant join!

mind you, stonar's the up and coming lake....

F

Frothey

See you in France.

Would do it like a shot..... at least the south west is still like everywhere else used to be! too many people moving down here though (lol!) need some border control....

Keith Moors

Reaction score
Frothey. Just a little note about Stonar. In about 1996 ish, while it was still being dredged, my brother-in-law and I guested it from behind some little factory buildings which shielded it from the main road. we were basically fishing it for whatever came along and when I saw some predator activity I decided to try some small live baits for what I was convinced would be big perch. The only lives I could find were stickle backs and one was duly hooked and cast out. withing minutes I was playing my first ever................ land-locked sea bass. We went on to catch several; all schoolies which had apparently been washed into stonar when the stour bank was breeched. bet they're twenties now.
Best fishes for 2007

F

Frothey

there was a 6lb'er out not so long ago....flatties as well, so they must get in and out. its crammed with shrimp....

Keith Moors

Reaction score
The stour at the back is crammed with flounder in the spring as well as huge mullet but hardly anyone ever used to fish for them. I wouldn't mind betting that the salt content of the lake is helping to keep the carp eating. Even in a tank they love salt (and it is almost a cure all) and I always add it to my baits as an appetite stimulator.