Improving the modern Fixed Spool Reel

dezza

Reaction score
I look with wonder at one of my latest aquisitions and at the same time wonder if it can be improved.

It is of course the Daiwa TDX 3012. I have been using it now for about 5 months and I can hardly fault it. It has a front adjusting drag. I didn't like these drags as you were likely to lose the drag screw when changing spools, However with the TDX, a non-bait runner type, there is a push button for releasing the spool and the drag adjustment is captive.

The rest of the reel, especially the ergonomics, are absolute perfection, well perhaps I'm being too picky by wanting the anti-reverse under the gear housing, not above.

But how could you improve the reels we have today? Number 1 would be incorporating a push button spool release, as with the exception of the TDX, all the other front drag reels don't have this feature.

But what do you think?

And don't be daft by wanting a wire pickup that grooves, or a drag that's jerky, or having when being wound, a noise like a growling dog with a sore throat!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Sounds good Ron, lack of a quick release to the spool of a front drag reel was also a bit of as drag. How would you compare it with the 2500/4000 Shimano DL/XT's considering the extra cost - are you paying the extra for the button or is the reel IYO superior as well?
Jerry

dezza

Reaction score
I have a pair of the Shimano DL baitrunners, and for the money they are truly superb.

However they don't have a push button release for the spool which is also of a smaller diameter than the Daiwa. The spare spools that come with these reels are plastic and not as good as the aluminium spool. With the Daiwa you get two identical spools, both with push button.

The Shimano is 1/2 the price of the Daiwa, but the Daiwa has that feel of total class that for me at any rate puts it in the very top bracket.

Tim Ridge

Reaction score
One of the key features on both the reels mentioned (for me) ron is the smooth circular aluminium line clip.

I'm not particularly bothered about a push button spool but one thing that does irritate me is when you take the spool off and underneath there are little springs and other bits that could easily be knocked off and lost.

Btw why the hell have shimano introduced those minutely thin bale arms on their 3000 sized models. They are as thin as fuse wire! for me there was something to be said for mitchell 300's... almost bomb proof.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Should have done your 'review' before I bought my DLs in March Ron;) Seriously, I'm happy with the DL's as with my other Shimanos - they'll do for now.
Jerry

sam vimes

Reaction score
All I'd like to see is relatively small (5000 size and smaller) reels with spools that are wider than they are deep. I'm thinking much like the spools on baby/big pit reels but proportionately smaller. I'd seriously contemplate killing for a 4000/5000 sized baitrunner and a match float/feeder reel with such a spool.;):D

xenon

Reaction score
think the only really serious failing in modern fixed spool reels remains the problem of line twist.have a few top quality shimano reels, but they still have this failing to some extent.

watatoad

Reaction score
I've been using a Mitchell Mag Pro Lite for about a year now and I must admit I am pretty impressed with it. I have not tried the Daiwa TDX 3012 but I have to admit I shall get off my rear and try to borrow one and give it a go. I have also been giving a Shakespeare mach 3 xt a good going and have to say the smoothness of the mach 3 xt front drag must be the best shakespeare have made so far, got one with rear drag too but the front drag wins hands down for smoothness or the shakespeare reels.

chav professor

Reaction score
I've been using a Mitchell Mag Pro Lite for about a year now and I must admit I am pretty impressed with it. I have not tried the Daiwa TDX 3012 but I have to admit I shall get off my rear and try to borrow one and give it a go. I have also been giving a Shakespeare mach 3 xt a good going and have to say the smoothness of the mach 3 xt front drag must be the best shakespeare have made so far, got one with rear drag too but the front drag wins hands down for smoothness or the shakespeare reels.

Those Shakespeare Mach 3 front drag reels are the business!!! won one from Anglers mail last year and promised it to my son. EWhen it arrived, I wish I had kept my gob shut - they are superbly engineered reels!

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
I have had Fixed spool reels since I was at school, I start with an Intrepid le Lux, moved to an Intrepid Supreme, from there to Ambidex 1 and 4s, then onto Mitchell 300 and 410s.

Big leap to ABU 55s, A5s and the Fantastic Suveran Centre Drag S4000M.

Shamino Bait Runners from the original Sea Spin to the LD Big Pits and every thing in between.

Daiwa 5000s and Baboon Arse to the wonderful Exceler 3000E- the best Front drag fixed spool I have ever owned.

As Ron has said, Daiwa make some fantastic reels.

Bob

dezza

Reaction score
think the only really serious failing in modern fixed spool reels remains the problem of line twist.have a few top quality shimano reels, but they still have this failing to some extent.

Because of the way they work, line twist will never be completely cured on fixed spool reels. What did improve things was the incorporation of a bail arm with a roller pick-up that really did roll. This meant that line twist was kept evenly along the length of the line, and not concentrated in the way that those early Mitchell and Young reels did.

Many do not realise how important the development of a real working line roller was. Shimano were the first, and then Daiwa by utilising a small ball bearing. Diawa called it a "twist buster". But the first reel with a line roller of sorts was the Intrepid Elite. Unfortunatly the roller itself did not have a bearing and wouldn't turn. **** Walker told them what should be done, but it would have been too expensive.

The early line rollers of Shimano incorporated a PTFE bush. PTFE is a self lubricating polymer but once dirt got in it refused to work.

The only answer, is a sealed ball bearing.

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:29 ----------

was something to be said for mitchell 300's... almost bomb proof

But the times I had to replace that bloody knock over spring on my 300s and 410 made me cry.

I'll never forget playing a 40 lb sharp toothed catfish on one of my 410s. The gears stripped! Thank goodness for the ABU Cardinals.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
The question was - Improving the modern Fixed Spool Reel

The one major improvement I would make would be to the line clip in that it should stop the feeder/lead from travelling beyond the required point, but release more line when a fish takes a run. MAP seem to have solved it to some extent with this model -

reel_auto_clip_system.jpg

Looks good and would seem to do the trick, but the other problem would then be, does it hold the line when the reel is not in use? I haven't seen one to know this.

The other thing is to put a collapsible handle on them. Daiwa have a smart button release on some, but not alll reels. And who came up with those stupid handles in solid alloy with a ball on the joint? :mad:

Yes, bigger spools to aid casting and should be provided with match and normal spares, but both of the same material, i.e. if the main is alloy, so should be the spare. This is not always the case even on expensive ones. :mad:

dezza

Reaction score
Yes, bigger spools to aid casting and should be provided with match and normal spares, but both of the same material, i.e. if the main is alloy, so should be the spare. This is not always the case even on expensive ones.

And some charge the earth for a spare spool.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I still use ABU500 series (usually 506M) or Mitchells (440A or 300). Do everything i ask of them, and last forever. I just dont like the look or feel of more contemporary reels at all - especially the double handled sorts (pig ugly!). Once perfection was developed, why change it?. It snice to be sentimentally attached to equipment if it does the trick, and all the later design changes from ABU or Mitchell were inferior i think.

dezza

Reaction score
As a mechnical engineer I don't see how, but I suppose it takes all sorts.

"Last for ever???" I destroyed 4 Mitchell 300s and 2 Mitchell 410s in a few months!

I bought a Shimano Sea Spin in the early 80s when they became available. I gave it away in 1994, and it was still perfect after being used to catch anything from carp and catfish to estuary salt water species up to 35 lbs. It never ever required any form of servicing.

little oik

Reaction score
I cannot see why multiplying reels are not used more .I can understand if you are using very light tackle ,but for anything over 3 oz surely they would be a lot better .Casting a lot better (if set up right )smoother drag system ,no line twist whatsoever .Bad points Rod rings need to be changed, differcult to set up on a rod pod and no line clip .
I seem to remember seeing the laughing gnome using one on one his programmes for carp at close quarters .

dezza

Reaction score
Multiplying reels are ideal for playing big hard fighting fish, and for casting heavy weights. I have used them for many years, where they are superior for casting and working lures for predatory species. They are far more accurate.

But this has been well debated in the thread: Big Pike are not difficult to catch.

And with a bit of practice, you will cast much farther with such reels.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
As a mechnical engineer I don't see how, but I suppose it takes all sorts.

"Last for ever???" I destroyed 4 Mitchell 300s and 2 Mitchell 410s in a few months!

I bought a Shimano Sea Spin in the early 80s when they became available. I gave it away in 1994, and it was still perfect after being used to catch anything from carp and catfish to estuary salt water species up to 35 lbs. It never ever required any form of servicing.

To be honest, the ABUs have lasted the best and have been used the most. Bail arm issues on Mitchell Match for sure, but my ABU506M has been used for about 500 sessions over a 30 year period without any glitch, other than chenille needed replacing on spool. As i dont fish for MASSIVE CARP or GIANT CATS i dont need a power triple action gearing with built in cable modem or whatever.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Ron Clay: Good post on line twist but is any one reel better than the rest in dealing with this problem?
Also, apart from incorporating a roller bearing, (I assume this would either too expensive or impossible to incorporate) have manufacturers gone as far as they can with curing this twist problem?
I've always assumed the spool diameter went some way in introducing twist so are the so-called 'big pit reels' better at reducing twist?

I understand, but could be entirely wrong, that Shimano are launching new fixed spool reels (Xmas?). Are they likely to be 'better' in dealing with twist-do they have bigger spools etc?

ps Anyone can offer on this!!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I understand, but could be entirely wrong, that Shimano are launching new fixed spool reels (Xmas?). Are they likely to be 'better' in dealing with twist-do they have bigger spools etc?

Tee-Cee,
the new (2012) range of Shimano gear is starting to filter into the shops now. It's that time of year. I certainly haven't noticed any great change in designs or sizes. I can't see the new reels being substantially better on the twist issue.