Articles that never were........

bigchub

Reaction score
I've started quite a few articles since I've joined FM but many of them, for various reasons, have never seen the light of day. Titles still to be completed and published on FM at some time in the future include -

Frozen Milk (Milk Protein For Chub)
Big Chub on Boilies PT2 The Definitive Guide
Winter Tench (that one will be interesting!)
Small Rivers - Big Bream
Broadly Speaking (Hunting for carp on the Suffolk Broads)
Full Flavour Behavior (my favorite flavours & additives explained)
Winter Wensum Whackers

And you lot only thought I was interested in chub!

Anybody else started lots of articles but never finished them? Will be interesting to see what other people haven't got round to completing yet.

Will Barnard

Reaction score
Yea, I have a couple but nowhere near your body of work.
A complete winter on the Test is one if 'em

Simon K

Reaction score
You do realise we will hold you to these articles? :D

I haven't even thought about a second one yet, but I always finish those I start.

bigchub

Reaction score
You do realise we will hold you to these articles? :D

I haven't even thought about a second one yet, but I always finish those I start.

Yeah I know mate! I'm a bit of perfectionist when it comes to my writing and everything has to be just right, but to me the pictures do a lot of the talking. A picture can say a thousand words!

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Probably got around 20 sitting on this machine, but some need further research, soem are too mentally challenging for the target market, and some that I just thought were rubbish. Most of all, there are those that require photographs of people doing things and I tend to either fish alone or with a mate who doesn't do the things I want to photograph and it takes time that should be spent fishing.

(NOW LESS OF THAT, I didn't mean it in that sort of way. ;) :D)

chav professor

Reaction score
I always have a few ideas about what i want to write. What holds me back is I try to produce something with a bit of originality about it. Once they are started they write themselves really.

Since writing a few articles, I photogragh anything and everything (not just the fish). the photography is as much a part of my interest in fishing as anything else - so is keeping records....... bit sad really:D hopefully I have plenty more to come......:eek:mg:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
For a while now I've toyed with the idea of an article [or series of] on "firsts"...you know...first time I caught one of these,first time I fished there etc.

Being a sort of all-round coarse & game pleasure angler I dont have a wildly impressive list of huge fish to tell tales of but most people will remember their "first" whatever it is and ought to be able to relate to such tales. Might even prompt them to recount their own "firsts".

I've not yet got further than the opening para

"My first barbel remains the biggest I've ever caught.I hooked it at 6-35 pm on Friday the 27th October 1971 in the Pipe swim on the Hampshire Avon's Royalty Fishery. I landed it 20 heart-stopping minutes later and had never seen let alone caught such a magnificent fish before.The impression it made on a 16 year old kid who grew up fishing the canals for roach,crucians and tench that rarely topped 3lb was almost indescribable. I dont think any fish before or since has ever topped that feeling for me...not even my first 2lb river roach. It was the first time I'd fished the Royalty,the first time I'd fished for barbel and I'd caught one.It weighed 12lb and though a very average barbel by modern standards it was within a pound or so of the then record. You would think I would have been excited...and I was to a degree...but I was also insanely jealous of my mate Malcolm who'd caught TWO barbel that day. Two barbel to my one. That's how success was measured in those days but I'd caught a barbel...I'd actually caught a barbel ! It had been a good day.
I remember just about everything that happened that day,certainly every aspect leading up to the capture of the fish including the one I'd hooked and lost earlier and the fact that barbel were NOT olive-green like it said in my Observer's Book of Freshwater Fishes or the picture on the Brooke Bond Tea Card. One day,if I'm lucky and try hard enough, I might catch a bigger one...but I'll never catch a better one "

Philip

Reaction score
I like writing and like many of us I guess, have lots of ideas but don't get round to it for one reason or another.

I had 2 articles that I completely finished complete with photos and rigs drawings and so on with the idea to send off to the mags a few years ago. One was about prebaiting for Pike that was going to go to Pike and Predators the other was about fishing really big waters like the French reservoirs with a mobile approach during the day rather than stuck in a bivvy that I was going to send to Carpworld.

Although its unlikely either would have been published I thought both were brilliant (well ok I would...)...Informative, thought provoking, different, well written and illustrated ..but for some reason I never sent them. Not sure why.

....Actually now I am thinking about it, its just occurred to me I did send 1 other once a few years back and it actually got accepted for Carp fisher, they were going to Publish it in a March edition but the Editor changed in February and it got forgotten.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Let's be having some then (completed articles that is) :)

I'm convinced there are many Forum contributors with a story or two in them and they are often some of the most interesting (in my view). Not your run of the mill "how to" or "latest bait or trends", just good honest fishing stories from accomplished and experienced anglers.

I do not apologise for "beating up" Watatoad recently :D, finally persuading him to put "pen to paper". His article has just been published - here:

http://www.fishingmagic.com/features/coarse_fishing/general_fishing/15385-angling-then-and-now.html

Don't worry about spelling, wording or punctuation, Ian and his team get paid for their editing skills! :eek:mg:

Images are a must but I'm sure suitable ones can be sourced by the editorial team as well. Watatoad's article images were found by Ian and I think they work very well with the subject.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Yeah I know mate! I'm a bit of perfectionist when it comes to my writing and everything has to be just right, but to me the pictures do a lot of the talking. A picture can say a thousand words!

-----------

Here you go bigchub

A picture can say a thousand words ?
Bag_of_Lea_Chub_1960s.jpg

View image in gallery

:) Bob

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have many unfinished works on my computer. More like articles/books began and not got past the first chapter. But, I always have a winter project to get on with.

It does help to set yourself a date to finish a project. Promise yourself several times that you will do this by that date. Some stuff I would have never finished if I hadn't done this but, you need some self discipline.

watatoad

Reaction score
Come on get finishing your articles and works if I managed it anyone can.