Real nostalgia

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date

Paul C

Reaction score
There are EA bylaws and any that don't comply are illegal:

You may not use a keepnet: -
(i) with any knotted meshes or meshes of metallic material; or
(ii) having any holes in the mesh larger than 25mm internal circumference; or
(iii) of less than 2.0 metres in length; or
(iv) with supporting rings or frames greater than 40cm apart (excluding the distance from the top frame to the first supporting ring or frame) or less than 120cm in circumference

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Like John I use a keepnet for most of my fishing and providing that they are properly sited, properly employed and staked out correctly there really is no problem!

Ron, I'd hope that you, and everyone else, would never put Grayling in a keepnet either, they are simply too fragile to survive too long.

I know that the likes of Walker often used keepnets, in fact I managed to pick-up two of Walker's keepnets in an auction some time back, complete with provenance signed by Pat. Said keepnets now adorn my little study at home next to an 8 foot Walker-made split cane stalking rod.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Send me the Webb interview please Ron, I'll put it up.

John Ledger (ACA)

Reaction score
Peter
You are right about grayling and they soon go belly up and if a keepnet is used it should be staked against the current.
Keepnets are used on matches on the Derwent at Matlock but this is one fish i worry about more than the barbel.
I have placed a barbel in my keepnet to allow recovery time because sometimes when released they head straight for the rushes and turn belly up and die and the captor is none the wiser.
Personally i would rather have one hours fishing and give a barbel 5 hours recovery than 6hours fishing and one dead fish

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Paul, I am aware of the EA's so-called regulations regarding keepnets but the requirements are still not fish-friendly enough.
An internal mesh circumference is equal to a diametre of approximately 7.5 mms which in "old money" is slightly more than a quarter of an inch and I haven't used that sized mesh for years.
As for the length of 2 metres (6'6"), that to me is totally inadequate and the circumference of 120cm is laughable as this means that the diameter is less than 40cm (16").
Internal mesh diameter should be no more than 1.5mmm and the length should be at least 3 metres (9'9") whilst the minimum diameter of the net should be at least 76cm (2'6").
Nets with these sizes are available in almost every tackle shop in the country and the sale of any that are are smaller in size or have a larger mesh diameter should be banned.

Paul C

Reaction score
Can't disagree with that Frank.

I wonder when the EA last updated that legislation?