Big Head Carp - They have been found

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Some time ago, Angling Star published a story on a Big Head Carp that was caught in a local commercial water.

Deanos

Reaction score
What is the story behind these carp chaps as I don?t to be honest know anything about them. Are they imported, a danger to established fish stocks etc.
If they grow to gigantic sizes, wont they be welcomed by the record busters?

Deanos

Reaction score
WHOOPS!
Just read the artical!
Its eye appears to be at the bottom of its head! Ugly critter init!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It is a Cypriform and what is termed a "filter feeder". That means it mainly eats minute organisms such as zooplankton and detritus; also algae.

We had several filter feeders in South Africa, notably the Orange River Mudfish - Labeo capensis and the Mud Mullet or Moggel Labeo umbratus.

The mudfish was easily caught on small pieces of bread paste, flake or flour dough mixed with egg. The moggel had the reputation of being impossible to catch on rod and line. However, myself and a few other anglers developed artificial flies that were quite effective. These fish went up to about 7lbs maximum.

One thing common to filter feeders is that they fight very hard indeed. Much harder than say a barbel. The battles I have had with 5lb mudfish you would not believe.

I, dont think these Big Head carp would be too popular with English carp anglers. I doubt if boilies and bolt rigs would work. Fly fishing and jig fishing - yes, but these methods require a modicum of skill.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

To a certain extent, but I've caught several grass carp in my life on nymphs meant for trout.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

It looks like a cross between a carp and a catfish ....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Yes it does Ed, but I can assure you that it has scales and is not a Silurid.

Whooo I love these posh scientific names for fish species...... :eek:)

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sorry, but the Bighead Carp story has had to be removed. It was sent to us as an attachment to an email. Unfortunately they sent the wrong attachment, a story from a US website that we don't have permission to use.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
This will no doubt lead to big-headed carp anglers.

Who in time will become disenchanted with the species and start being big-headed barbel anglers....

The coat is already on, so bog off!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Buy One Get One Free Lee? What, a carp or a barbel?

Deanos

Reaction score
I thought this was a spoof story when the picture showed the fish with its head upside down!....no fooling me lads.

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I think one of these was caught at Hallcroft a few years ago. It came in with a consignment of grasscarp.