Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) Guest

Some time ago, Angling Star published a story on a Big Head Carp that was caught in a local commercial water.

Cakey Guest

theres some in France too

What is the story behind these carp chaps as I donít to be honest know anything about them. Are they imported, a danger to established fish stocks etc.
    If they grow to gigantic sizes, wont they be welcomed by the record busters?

WHOOPS!
    Just read the artical!
    Its eye appears to be at the bottom of its head! Ugly critter init!

It is a Cypriform and what is termed a "filter feeder". That means it mainly eats minute organisms such as zooplankton and detritus; also algae.

We had several filter feeders in South Africa, notably the Orange River Mudfish - Labeo capensis and the Mud Mullet or Moggel Labeo umbratus.

The mudfish was easily caught on small pieces of bread paste, flake or flour dough mixed with egg. The moggel had the reputation of being impossible to catch on rod and line. However, myself and a few other anglers developed artificial flies that were quite effective. These fish went up to about 7lbs maximum.

One thing common to filter feeders is that they fight very hard indeed. Much harder than say a barbel. The battles I have had with 5lb mudfish you would not believe.

I, dont think these Big Head carp would be too popular with English carp anglers. I doubt if boilies and bolt rigs would work. Fly fishing and jig fishing - yes, but these methods require a modicum of skill.

Didn't they say the same thing about grass carp?

To a certain extent, but I've caught several grass carp in my life on nymphs meant for trout.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) Guest

It looks like a cross between a carp and a catfish ....

Yes it does Ed, but I can assure you that it has scales and is not a Silurid.

Whooo I love these posh scientific names for fish species...... )

Do they eat seals and otters and stuff?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast