The FM Family

Reaction score
I have no idea what the ?Gary Doyle? incident was about as I was working all week, and I have no interest in resurrecting it, but I thought it might be nice in view of Wendy?s comments on that thread if we shared our memories of people and places that we would not have encountered had it not been for Fishing Magic.

To kick off here is mine.

I have been to a few FM fish-ins on the Trent, and these in themselves have introduced me to great anglers (Ron, Matt Brown, Swordsy and Paul B (where is he?) to name a few) and great times, but when Pikey Paul suggested an FM match, I wasn?t sure.

I have never match-fished in my life. I was as ever easily persuaded to pick up a rod and found myself at the Clattercote Memorial, pegged next to a young pretender called Marsden, who obviously fancied his chances ;-)

Despite a raging wind, I kept my method feeder within bounds and duly hooked and lost three sizeable carp due to utterly cr*p hooklength selection. I have never before or since been more embarrassed by my spontaneous gutter mouth.

?What?s up son?? came the genial refrain from our editor, and all I could muster was, ?Sh*t, b*llocks, lost another one? Graham?

Shameful!

Jeff Spiller

Reaction score
****y I think you put that down to a bad day and it goes hand in hand with that statement : Sh*t happens.
One thing I've noticed as I get older is that you can sit back and laugh at the younger one's for making the same mistakes as me !

Bet you put a big smile on Graham's chop's.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
A FM highlight for me happened just a month or so ago. The Idle Fish-In.

I confess I did have a few reservations about a 450 mile round trip but what else you gonna do on a wet and cold weekend!

Don't want to single out anyone in particular but(!) I met John Ledger and we chatted like old mates. I also heard Wendy before I saw her. I was asleep in my car in the car park and was awoken by a loud broad Lancashire accent (and she was fully 40 yards away).

The day was a blur of meeting people and even catching a few fish. I don't think I'm overstating when I say I think I can count all those people as friends.

The same can be said for the other two "meets" I've gone to - Kennet Grayling Day and the recent K & A Canal Bash. Great people, great days.

This thread title and John's "heart and soul" comment sum it all up rather nicely.

I

Ian Cloke

FM is like an extended family, to the vast majority of members, we have a few heated discussions, but always stand by one another.

One thing I personally like about this site is, there area few characters on here who can always bring a smile to my face, no matter how cr@p I feel.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
If it wasn't for FM I would never have found my way to the Trent after passing my driving test (thanks Ron).

I would never have met Mike Townsend, Bob Roberts, Ron Clay, Martin Womble or Lee Swords and our DVSG group would never have formed. And of course there are loads of other posters I've met who I now consider friends.

I've learned loads about fishing and hopefully I've helped a few too.

I think some good comes out of many of the heated discussions we have and although it occassionally goes over the top, I'd not have it any other way.

I think FM is great because it is well run and because it has a broad range of anglers. Long may it continue.

W

Wolfman Woody

"I think some good comes out of many of the heated discussions we have ...."

Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress. - Mahatma Gandhi

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
I don't post as much as I did but I still check the Forum every couple of days. I have found that some of the sillier threads put me off and I tend to skip a lot of them. I don't know about this Doyle fellow and I couldn't bring myself to read the extract that Graham posted in his thread.

What I do know is that I was greatly saddened to learn that one of our few lady members had been upset by his posting. Hopefully Wendy will realise that the vast majority of Forum members are decent, friendly, helpful to a fault and worth the effort and be able to ignore some of the more unpleasant characters that will, form time to time, appear here.

Reaction score
Matthew's point is exactly why I started this thread

"the vast majority of Forum members are decent, friendly, helpful to a fault and worth the effort...ignore...the more unpleasant characters that will, from time to time, appear here."

It is those decent, friendly members that I want to thank here.

I personally would like to single out Ron Clay and Budgie who have been so helpful this season in my pursuit of roach and chub from the river Leam and in preparation for my forthcoming mahseer trip.

Cheers chaps :)

Let's have some more happy FM anecdotes...

pcpaulh

Reaction score
Althougth I haven't meet mant FM members I've learnt alot of all of you. If it wasn't for FM my fishing wouldn't have progressed half the amount it has!

T

The Monk

extended family, yes very true, I`ve met and spoke to some of the nicest people you are likely to meet and never had a cross word with anyone I think

captain carrott

Reaction score
come on bendy don't let the B*****d get to you, he aint worth it.

we all know what you're like really, the life and soul of the party.

S

Scott Whatmore

FM - a good spirited group of individuals with their own opinions that are happy to discuss and consider other's opinions.

We all have one thing in common, a love of Fishing, and long may it continue.

I've chatted on this forum with lots of really nice people, and tomorrow at the Gold Valley Fish-in I'm actually going to meet some of them. I can't wait.

Despite the odd idiot, this site is an overwhelming success. Thank you FM and thank you Graham.

Y

yoggy

****y,I agree mate.I have met several members on FM,all of whom have been a fantastic bunch of blokes.Ron is a minefield of information. I could sit and listen to him all day.Nick,who I met through FM has now become my regular fishing partner,we`ve had some great sessions together.Obviously there are loads more who I`d like to meet. Maybe in 2007 I hopefully will.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
I can't really add any more that hasn't already been said.

Except from a personal point of view I've been given very useful advice by Graham Whatmore, Matt Brown, Budgie Burgess, Ron, Chavender, John Ledger, Lee Swords and I'm sure many others whom I apologise to for missing out here.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
To me FM has played a very important part in my life, as a man you can go out fishing anywhere and be accepted... for a woman it's a little different.But the FM family have always made me part of the family and taught me so so many things not just about fishing but on life as well.

You guys and there are far too many to mention are all fantastic even my daughter tells her friends about how you all look out for me.

So pat yourselves on the back because you all deserve it!!!

From the bottom of my heart

THANK YOU
X

biggaz

Reaction score
aaaaaw isnt that nice, (pass me the sick bag), you guys really need to get out more! Still the abuse comes. aaah well, doesnt surprise me really, as the mentality of the majority on here is plain to see ;)