Update from Poland

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Get real, just because they speak in a language you don't understand doesn't make them Polish!
That's right! My Polish father-in-law was stood outside Woolworths in Rhyl once waiting for m-i-l to come out and when she did, he obviously questioned her and they chatted in Polish. Another chap who had been standing beside him during his wait whispered under his breath, "Welsh b*****ds!" thinking they were Welsh.

Ric Where abouts in central Poland?
I think he said somewhere, he's near Wraclaw, Phil.

You'll get hooked on pierogi too, lovely stuff if it's done right. And Gołąbki (pronounce it GOWOMKI), minced meats and maybe rice rolled up in cabbage leaves. We do ours in a tomato sauce, but an old Hungarian chef I knew did his with stock and finished it with sour cream over the top and let it brown. We tried it, both are delicious.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Ric Where abouts in central Poland? Lodz, Lubin, Wasaw? If you're there for sometime, you must go up to Bialystok and the Nt Park of Biebrzask it fabulous. Rivers a plenty full of fish, and I do mean full of fish! In the 14 days I spent there I saw a total of 4 Anglers fishing.
No doubt some one will say no wonder all the Poles who fish have moved to Blighty to eat our fish :eek:

Get real, just because they speak in a language you don't understand doesn't make them Polish!

Ric forget the Lech, Zubra, Tyskie Try the Real ale bars and there's a few in Wasaw it bloody good stuff.

Cheers Phil

I'm in Piotrkow Trybunalski, about 30 miles south of Lodz. I'll look up that park, I get plenty of time off here! Cheers

---------- Post added at 14:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

OK I've been here for 3 weeks now. Didn't manage to get the necessary permits so stuff it, I fished anyway. Been 3 times now, not caught. Managed to raise 3 small pike on a surface popper, they missed. Hooked a decentish pike, maybe 10 pounds, on a Mepps, but it fell off.

The fishing here is going to be tough but I'm not despondent, the potential is there, I'm sure. There are 2 problems. The smaller 80 acre lake is stuffed full of weed. Even at the deep (10 foot or so) end it grows right to the surface. The only viable method is surface lures and now it's gone colder, that will be a struggle. The locals sling out livebaits a foot under a huge bung. A few minutes later they reel them in again, festooned in weed. Hopefully the winter will see the weed off, giving more chances in the spring.

The larger water, Jezioro Sulejowski is a flatish but tough 1 hour cycle ride away. Not so weedy here, the problem is the water clarity. I've never seen a freshwater lake so clear. You can literally see every detail in 10 foot of water. 3 hours here with Mepps, rubber worms, various Rapalas gave me nowt. My popper raised a small pike, that was it. I've a feeling that very early morning or late evening will give me the best chance and then, probably only alongside the pontoons that boats moor up to. In such clear water predators must lie under these, I'm sure.

Back to the smaller lake: There's a feeder river that's around 3 foot deep, 5 yards wide. It's totally inaccessible from the bank, due to reeds. If I could get a boat on here it would be great, I've seen perch chasing small fish every time I've been there. I need a boat!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Got a boat in the garage you can have Ric, one of those collapsable ones,you can strap it on your back then cycle to the lake, glad your enjoying it, speak soon mate, on the Messenger

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
In character..from the Fast Show...

Arent polish words BRILLIANT!!!..Jezioro Sulejowski..Gołąbki....zzbrfloggytrock..frimplezargfelt..,BRILLIANT!!..just a random chaos of letters man..BRILLIANT!!

Last edited:

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Finally some success. A nice double figure Pike from Jezioro Bugaj; the smaller lake. Nailed it on a large Mepps casting from the valve tower. Tricky this, had to walk it round so I could get on the reservoir wall to land it. Missed 2 other takes as well; one that tried to nail the lure 3 times but wasn't hooked. Perch maybe?

Some very strange looks and shakes of the head from onlookers when I released it :)

The bad one

Reaction score
Finally some success. A nice double figure Pike from Jezioro Bugaj; the smaller lake. Nailed it on a large Mepps casting from the valve tower. Tricky this, had to walk it round so I could get on the reservoir wall to land it. Missed 2 other takes as well; one that tried to nail the lure 3 times but wasn't hooked. Perch maybe?

Some very strange looks and shakes of the head from onlookers when I released it :)
Ric check your pms mate top right ;)