Update from Poland

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
For anyone that knows me, or might be vaguely interested...

Well I've been in central Poland for a week now. The rod hasn't left its tube, still trying to get permits. Things are looking good though.

The 'small' (80 acre) water 2 miles from where I'm living is a reservoir. Deepish at one end with heavy weed growth. I saw small roach and Perch plus the first 2lb roach I've ever seen. Unfortunately it was dead in the side. I saw a decent pike have a go at something and lots of small fishing being chased by perch.

The big water (10 miles long) looks like an outstanding prospect. The sides are black with small perch. Something predatory, and very big, caused a large commotion 20 yards out, in a shallow reedy bay. From what I have gathered so far it holds catfish in excess of 100lb, big pike, zander to 25, carp up to 1 metre in length, large bass, asp plus hoardes of perch, roach, ruffe etc. My problem here is going to be access as most of the banks are boggy to the point of being inacessible. And when away from popular areas wild boar, adders and tics are a danger. Boats are available but the cost is prohibitive. Maybe one of my students can help in exchange for free English lessons, we will see next week...

I was quite surprised how many fish there are about, considering the reputation Polish anglers have.

More when I finally wet a line!

barbelboi

Reaction score
Certainly sounds very interesting Ric, look forward to an update in due course.
Jerry

watatoad

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of fun be nice to see a few photo's so we can all go green with jealousy...hehehe

Morespiders

Reaction score
Elwin, should I post you some more tackle better suited to 100lb cats and 25lb zander, 1mtr carp, great suprise seeing you went with no great expectations, good luck mate, hopefully speak to you in the week, check your mails

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Do us a feature, teacher! Sorry I missed you - my Ma was taken to hospital etc etc so things changed. Sounds like you could lure fish without too much terror as long as you can get to the water... build your own stage!!

chav professor

Reaction score
Fishing????? In Poland?????? Need permits???????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

F"ck it!!! If anyone says anything - tell them you don't speak any Polish. why not gill net some of their waters whilst you are at it - set traps - long lines - whatever! Makes it all the more rich when you think how eastern Europeans have abused the privalige of fishing UK water when they first came over in large numbers!!!!!!

On a more civil note:D hope you have some great fishing - it sounds super

Morespiders

Reaction score
Fishing????? In Poland?????? Need permits???????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

F"ck it!!! If anyone says anything - tell them you don't speak any Polish. why not gill net some of their waters whilst you are at it - set traps - long lines - whatever! Makes it all the more rich when you think how eastern Europeans have abused the privalige of fishing UK water when they first came over in large numbers!!!!!!

Thats it Christian get him locked up, ironic isnt it:D

chav professor

Reaction score
Only if you have a Stilton permit permit!!!!!!!!

I remember when they first came over here..... smearing our wonderful English cheeses all over crackers and sandwiches......

Bloody Polish......... now back to being more civil...... I have to teach some tomorrow.......

Ric Elwin

Reaction score

I visited the smaller water today. I was very close to doing exactly what you suggest! Blank stares at any officials who might turn up, mutter something like "estom anglieski, nie Polska". In the end I thought it would do no harm to spend a bit of time surveying the water. Saw a bloke kill 3 1lb crucians, there must be plenty left, despite their catch and kill policy.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Ha Ha Ha :D

redfin123

Reaction score
well said chav professor, you got in before me. I hope the polish hear about this lake in poland they might all f...off back

The bad one

Reaction score
Ric Where abouts in central Poland? Lodz, Lubin, Wasaw? If you're there for sometime, you must go up to Bialystok and the Nt Park of Biebrzask it fabulous. Rivers a plenty full of fish, and I do mean full of fish! In the 14 days I spent there I saw a total of 4 Anglers fishing.
No doubt some one will say no wonder all the Poles who fish have moved to Blighty to eat our fish :eek:

Get real, just because they speak in a language you don't understand doesn't make them Polish!

Ric forget the Lech, Zubra, Tyskie Try the Real ale bars and there's a few in Wasaw it bloody good stuff.

Last edited:

beerweasel

Reaction score
Don't forget to eat the Bigos (hunters Stew) the ones I have had were superb. :w