Smart Cast Depth and Fish Finder

keora

Reaction score
I was looking at one of these gadgets in a shop today. A small floating echo sounder and transmitter clips to the end of the reel line. After casting out, it transmits depth and fish echos to a small screen(either on a wristwatch or on a separate screen fixed to the rod). Cost is ?130.

I remember reading mixed reviews about it when it came out a few years ago. From what I can remember users commented that was effective at depth finding but not at locating fish.

Has anybody used one? Would you recommend buying one?

Which disply is best, wristwatch or rod?

keora

Reaction score
I should have added that I would use the gadget when bank fishing for pike in a deep river with low stocks of prey fish and pike.

Pike fishing can be a bit hit and miss, because of the difficulty of finding the fish. But an effective fish locator would help.

captain carrott

Reaction score
I never use mine for finding fish.

but i wouldn't be without it for finding features to fish to.
It is the best aid to water craft since the eye.

mines the base station one. rf15e

would you like me to enthuse about it a bit more i could if you like.

keora

Reaction score
Yes, please could you give me more information. For example, I read on one web site that the echosounder can give false readings in choppy or turbulent water, such as weir pools - is this true.

I've seen the base station which seemed a bit big (I prefer to take the minimum of kit) . Are the other two displays - wrist or rod mounted - readable?

keora

Reaction score
Thank you, I've just looked at the earlier thread. Lots of techy stuff in it, but I get the feeling that fish finding isn't its strong point.

Steve Holman

Reaction score
The base station model is by far the best version for spotting fish. The other two are just expensive plummets. I've never used mine in a wierpool, but wouldn't be surprised to get false readings and interference.

All in all, like all gadgets, it has its uses, but is certainly no Holy Grail.

Steve Holman

Reaction score
Don't use it without a wire trace to connect the transducer to your line. Keeps the pike from swallowing it

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
I cheated and bought a naughty on from Americaon E bay they use a differant frequancy to the british ones so its a bit illegal but ?240 quids worth of kit for ?70 i was'nt gonna arguein truth i'de say they aint worth it the range is about two rod lenths on a bad day and four on a good one with mirror flat water.If you want to use it as a fishfinder its not bad where it comes into it's own is for readind depth and showing the contour of the bottom my advice would be to watch out for on on E bay if you have got to pay top wack you'll be a feel a bit let down but still there quite good fun if you get one cheep though.hooktie

Steve Holman

Reaction score
There's something wrong if you're only getting that sort of range. I get an easy 30 yards, probably a bit more. Trick is to have the base set pointing sideways towards the transducer and at least a couple of feet off the ground (I put mine on my chair)

An awful lot of second quality branded goods end up on eBay. You may have been a bit unlucky with yours, and got a knackered one.

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
i know what you mean the higher the better 'first i had it on my rod pod now i've taken to screwing it to a long bank stick and the range has inprovede there is ways and means of boosting the signal but not to sure if i want to try them but over all for the money i payed im more than happy with it its good fun and dam usfull as its one with the big screen rf10 with a boat for both a anb b channels so for 70 quid im well chuffed what i ment was if i'de payed 240 quid plus another 30 fpr the b boat im not shure so to any one i'de recommend checking E bay first as long as you get a seller with a good history which you can check and pay by card or pay pal your well coverd.i think the lack of range on mine is the battery life on me a channel boat is getting a bit old and im to tight to break ovt the new b boat but now you've raised the point i'll try it on my next outing thanks stev tight lines .hooktie

Steve Holman

Reaction score
If you got the big screen one for ?70 on eBay, you did exceptionally well. I congratulate you and am glad you're happy with it.

I don't know where you got the ?240 price from. I bought mine from Tony's tackle for ?198 from memory.

Happy smartcasting.

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
that was adding on the price for the extra b channle boat,but ye it was a great deal thats why i say allwats check E bay first nice on stev tight lines.Iain

Trisantona

Reaction score
Got my base station off ebay ?47.00 ,bought transducer ?30,good bit of kit,use watercraft to see where fish should be then use to confirm.great on Trent though can be a bit erratic if water is choppy..saw two lads who had been fishing for barbel all night without a bite,ran it through their swim a couple of times ,nowt where they were fishing but plenty of fish nearer in!!!!.

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
wicked nice to here that other people are getting good deals to as i say i got the base station and two transducers for ?70 so that works out about the same,good on yer tight lines.hooktie

M

MarkTheSpark

Hooktie, old chap? You make some excellent contributions, but we'd be able to read them a bit better with a few capital letters, full stops and new paragraphs.

And you don't really have to sign off with your name, because it appears at the top of every post.

But keep posting, please!

Tinca Tinca

Reaction score
Brilliant device for swim mapping but not an efficient fish finder. I have the RF10e bank station and have converted it to give me up to 100 metres range, if anyone wants details contact me on doing this-I have a very simple method.
Would not be without one you can map a swim in seconds with no disturbance and no they dont worry the fish as I have had carp feeding under sensor!

hooktie(Iain)

Reaction score
Nice one Tinca.I would appreciate that a lot.
Mark sorry about the bad grammar but it's not my strong point the main thing is that you care enough to read it,but from now on I shall try my best .

Yacko

Reaction score
My spelling is a bit dodgy so I often type my comments into word first and then copy & paste into the forum. You then get it spell & grammar checked.