"Young Anglers Handbook" - Peter Morland

Blunderer

Reaction score
I grew up without an angling mentor. I simply developed a fascination with fishing from a very young age and quickly became an angler - albeit an unprepared, disorganised, clueless one.

In 1981 I recieved a book for Christmas - "The Young Anglers Handbook" by Peter Morland. I found it absolutely invaluable. I read it and read it again. Then, as I slowly began to catch a few fish, I used the individual chapters on species to learn the basics of catching them. I learnt how to catch roach, then perch, then bream, then carp.

I have no idea who Peter Morland is/was, but what I do know is that noone read his book more than I did. I can still remember every page, every picture. The images thrilled me and made my heart race. His advice got me catching fish.

So, Peter Morland, I owe you a massive debt of gratitude. Many anglers quote Bernard Venables or **** Wicker as inspirations, but you were one to me!

Did anyone else read this book, or have another which gave them so much pleasure?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Blunderer, I know the book well and recently picked up a copy in Oxfam after I lost my original well worn copy somewhere in the mists of time.It now sits in my angling library amongst such luminaries as Yates and Walker but holds its own nonetheless!

It was a splendid book and certainly inspired me at a similar stage of my fledgling angling career.

Simpler and better times!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
That the one that Brian Morland wrote? He was a regular writer in the early days of Coarse Fisherman.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Memories Mark, I used to fish the tench lake Brian Morland used to run at Norton, Nr Malton Nth. Yorks, back in the early 70s.

I believe it was Brian Morland that wrote 'Young Anglers handbook'.

Incidentally Mark, I was talking to Barry Rudge the other day, do you remember him from the 'circuit'.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Frank Barlow's 'Bear a Grudge'?

Stayed in Malton last September; I remember Brian Morland writing about the North Yorks rivers and grayling. I did finally fish in Yorkshire on the Derwent at Old Malton.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Just checked .It was indeed Brian Morland.

Blunderer

Reaction score
Sorry, Brian Morland it was. I found my battered old copy last night. Oh, the memories it evoked...