Des Taylor v **** Walker....

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And that just about sums it up.

Even John Wilson when he won his AT legends, admitted that he wouldn't be where he is today without Walker.

And that goes for a hell of a lot of us!

Morespiders

Reaction score
I dont think Walker was that good, Des has caught much bigger carp than him and most other fish, what do you think ED?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I think Walker was very selfish --- He put Clarissa in London Zoo depriving someone else the pleasure/fame of catching it,possibly at a heavier weight .....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Up until 1980, the time that Walker did most of his serious fishing, Walker's 44lb carp still held the UK record. During the late 70s, I myself caught a few carp that were bigger than 44lbs but this does not make me a better carp angler than Walker. Far from it; they were caught because they were there to be caught and I was fishing waters that contained them. I doubt if many carp over that weight existed in the UK then.

And in any event, I doubt if Walker ever fished much for carp after 1956!

His fishing was very restricted by ill health after 1980. Much of his fishing then was done in his back garden in the River Ivel.

Walker in fact, never caught a tench larger than 5lbs 14oz, a grayling over 3 lbs, nor a barbel over 12lbs.

But with due respect, not many other people in those times did either.

You can never judge the ability of an angler on the range of so called PBs that he or she has supposed to have caught.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

That arguement has been done to death Ed.

There was only one reason that Clarissa went to the London Zoo, and that was to prove to the rest of the angling world, and to the scientific world too, that it had been caught. There were many who would never have believed that such a fish existed, and if Walker had have put it back, he would have never have been believed!

But he didn't want to kill it and this was the next best thing.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North)

I thought other people had caught Clarrissa before Walker. So why didn't they put it in a zoo?

Morespiders

Reaction score
He must of lied a lot Ron if nobody would believe him. I think your a better angler than Walker Ron,your more entertaining, wear nicer hats, and have caught better fish.They were not as selfish as Walker Baz.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

"I thought other people had caught Clarissa before Walker."

Oh dear Baz you really do need to read your angling history don't you?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

And there are several flights of pigs trying to land in the snow in our street!!

E

One thing Walker WAS better at was mowing lawns ....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

When Stoney went to visit Walker for the first time in Hitchin, he found Ruth, his first wife, cutting the lawn with a pair of garden shears!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Most likley,Ruth was always asking him to bring it home. lawnmower was in his swim on Redmire.

E

I believe a little known fact was that he was also an expert in knitting ,and used to write articles for 'Simply Knitting' magazine. He used to take his knitting with him when he went fishing to pass away the time between bites --in fact he was in the middle of knitting a woolly hat when he caught Clarissa......